Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Order And Svi Race Gun???

PistolPete

I'm thinking of ordering an SVI full out race gun prob. in .38 super. The setup I want will run about $3500. I will be able to pay for half of it upfront and have about 5 months to pay the balance. I'm thinking of having one built but am unsure if I want to spend that much money on another gun. What are your thoughts on doing this? I love the idea of building it to fit my needs. I built a Dan Wesson race gun but it does not compare to the SVI. Who here owns one and how is it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

I'm with you Pete.

I've been pestering Benny and Brazos to just build an Open upper on my Para frame, but the cost of around $1500 for just an upper is just too much.

I can imagine spending 3grand + for a full house SV, but I'll probably never do it. Imagining is fun though. <_<

You probably don't want to hear this, but if you're thinking you don't want to spend the cash, you probably shouldn't.

On the other hand!! You can't take it with you.

Spend, spend, SPEND!!!! :blink::blink::P;):D

It is a lot of money BUT if I use it as much as my Dan Wesson that it would be worth it. It is something I'll have for years on end. When I had my Mustang Cobra I debated about spending the $3500 for a supercharger for a long time until I decided to just take the plunge. Lets just say it was money well spent. I'm thinking the same with this gun. I love my Dan Wesson open gun as it is the most accurate gun I've ever shot. However, having something like the SVI would be even better. I'm sure I'll have one built it is just a matter if I do it now or later. The two things holding me back are that I'm getting married in April and plan on buying a house a year later. I'm thinking I could sell 2 of the guns I'm not currently using and get about $1000 towads the SVI.

Decisions, Decisions...

I have a few words of advice:

1. You only have to buy quality once. (If you compromise, you usually end up buying the best later anyway.)

2. Live for "now" a little bit. Face it, you'll love a custom $2k - $3k pistol.

When you take everything into account, $2 or $3k for the perfect gun isn't that much. The enjoyment you'll get out of it will be more than worth it.

-z

The two things holding me back are that I'm getting married in April and plan on buying a house a year later. I'm thinking I could sell 2 of the guns I'm not currently using and get about $1000 towads the SVI.

Decisions, Decisions...

Yaiks! Spend your money now! After April you won't have anything "extra" for you hobbies. :lol::ph34r:

Not to start a debate. But if I were to have an open gun built, I'd go with Benny Hill, hands down. His customer service and quality is uncomparable, if your gun breaks, send it off and you'll have it back within the week, guaranteed. I'm sure SV is a good company, but I have heard their customer service leaves ALOT to be desired. I'm pretty sure too that Benny can build you an open gun for far less than $2500. Give him a call.

Pete, I just ordered a limited gun through SVI and I had to really think hard about spending the $2500 for about one second. I have bought 2 Kimbers and never regretted my decision. So you spend a little money, in the big picture if you use it then it is worth it. This year is the limited gun and next year I want to go for the crazy race gun just like you are doing now. :D Have fun with the new blaster, I'll bet you won't regret your decision either.

Jim

If I order one should I def. buy a .38 super? I'm a pretty die hard .45 1911 guy. I like the idea of having high-cap mags even though my range only allows a max of 10 rounds per mag in all the matches. I do however want to get out from just the local matches and test my skills on a more serious level. Should I spend the money and buy one of these???

Either get a LIMITED gun built as a 40...

or, and OPEN gun built on one of the "Super" rounds.

You might start looking around for a used Open gun. They can often be found for $1500-2000...sometimes with mags, holsters, dies...everything. Some are rode hard, and put away wet, others are barely used at all.

What Flex said. A .45 racegun won't cut it for top drawer shooting. You'll lack capacity, bullets are more expensive, pressure of the .45 cartridge requires other comp designs to be very effective. I'd definately go with one of the popular open calibers (probably 9x23, but that's just me)

... even though my range only allows a max of 10 rounds per mag in all the matches. ...

What kind of lame range only allows ten rounds in a mag? I bet they don't let you shoot those EVIL "assault weapons" either. That is so f.....g moronic, but I'll stop here so I don't get any madder, and this is a thread drift anyway. :angry:

davecutts we can shoot "assaunt rifles" at my range. We can shoot high cap mags all day long too if we like. But when they have matches they limit you to 10 rounds per mag. I think it is to keep it fair. But, I don't plan on staying on just the local level so I want to step it up.

Pete

Well okay that makes a bit more sense, not that I like it, but more sense.

As far as new open blasters I am in the process of having one built, and spent today and Friday over at the smiths watching and picking his brain, a wonderful thing to behold, I am getting so excited I can't sleep and stuff, like when I first met my wife ... wow. My advice, get to know the guy before you pay him mucho $ to build you a top-notch lead spitter. Will got my single stack going from chunky Chinese crap to one inch shooting no malfunction class winning kung fu muuy bueno. Saturday I had the opportunity of taking apart a big name smith's (no members of this board) new open masterpiece, and I can say I was not impressed, the ... well PM me for details, but it made me thing long and hard about sending away for a pistol fromsomeone I don't know even if they came highly recommended by forum regulars.

Pistol pete, one of our local shooters, larry white, is going to sell his open gun to shoot limited only, It is a 5" full house w/ schumman hybred barrel & short 3 port comp. It was tuned by me & runs really nice. has everything on it, 7 hi-caps, dies, 2000 rd. new brass, etc. $2000.00, has about 9000 rds in it.

I second Mistral404's recommendation. I just received my Open gun in 38 SC that I had ordered from Don at Kodiak Precision. It was worth the wait - flawlessly machined, and put together - 100% reliable, great trigger, flat shooting.