Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Photo Radar

markcic

I hate this. Now to ask my question, do the camera's zero in on the front plate (if any) or the rear plate?

Gary

We do not have front plates here in AZ, only rear. The cameras snap the driver and the rear plate.

The person chosen to lead Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, was instrumental in getting these 'safety' cameras placed all over the state. Odd that Az is running a multi billion dollar deficit and we need cameras for 'safety', isn't it? Never mind that about 10% of the people in Maricopa county are 'undocumented' illegals and nothing is being done, Governor Janet spends her time getting 'safety' cameras set up all over the state. I can only hope she does as good a job running Homeland Security. ( sarcasm intended)

If you have a car registered in your wifes name and vice versa, drive each others cars. In most cases, they don't send out the ticket if the snap shot does not match the registration / drivers license image on record.

We have a red light camera about a block from the store and it snaps a photo of everyone who rolls up to the red light in the right hand lane. Get within 3 feet of the white line and it goes off. I've gotten my picture taken while sitting still at that corner. Its got me at least 20 times over the last six months and have never received a ticket. Piece of junk.

On the freeways around town, regular travelers pretty much know where every speed limit camera is located, so traffic flows 75 - 80 or so until a camera comes up, everyone slows down, drives past and then speeds up. So much for 'safety'. They actually cause more problems when drivers unfamiliar with the freeway spot one and then slam on their brakes suddenly.

Just another source of revenue for the state.

Dang, and I was complaining about "intersection" cameras. Any other states have "highway" cameras?

In California, all vehicles must display a front and rear license plate. I got a "no front license plate" ticket while my car was parked at an airport parking lot. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel.

As for quotas, a local city tells its employees "If you don't ticket people, we won't have money for raises." Hmmmm.

Seiichi

I hate this. Now to ask my question, do the camera's zero in on the front plate (if any) or the rear plate?

Gary

Odd that Az is running a multi billion dollar deficit and we need cameras for 'safety', isn't it? Never mind that about 10% of the people in Maricopa county are 'undocumented' illegals and nothing is being done, Governor Janet spends her time getting 'safety' cameras set up all over the state. Just another source of revenue for the state.

Anyone know how I might be able to register my car & get new plates in Mexico? I am not above paying a few extra pesos to the right hombre down there - if you catch my drift. :ph34r:

I have a list in my glove compartment of the location of every photo radar location in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Handy when you head down a highway you don't often travel on.

(A friend emailed me the link for the list, and now I can't find the email so if you are interested you'll have to search it out.)

be

I don't care for them, but................

I really want to install a couple on one of our jobs :angry2:

We try to have Highway Patrol on site to slow down traffic, but the expense to have an officer on the job for the duration (3-year bridge replacement) is almost as much as the cost of the job.

With signs a mile out telling the public to slow down and they STILL blow through the construction zone at 60+ :surprise:

I would be willing to install a couple on a temporary basis but we all know how temporary it would become

I have a list in my glove compartment of the location of every photo radar location in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Handy when you head down a highway you don't often travel on.

(A friend emailed me the link for the list, and now I can't find the email so if you are interested you'll have to search it out.)

be

Here is the list of locations on the website.

They have a spiffy video of me getting caught when I looked up my ticket. They take a picture of the front and rear of the car and have about 10 seconds of video as you go through the zone.

There would be a great market for a GPS that could download updates of this info, and sound a warning when a car approaches one of these cameras.

They just installed over 100 more cameras on different routes across Phoenix. While driving to a friend's house for Thanksgiving my roommate said " How can they catch anybody, They place signs up before all the radar?"

Just then a car steaked buy and got caught.

There would be a great market for a GPS that could download updates of this info, and sound a warning when a car approaches one of these cameras.

There is

http://www.poifactory.com

My partner downloaded a bunch of info for his Garmin Nuvi. Damn thing goes bananas when you go near a photo light.

Ted

From an article in the Phoenix newspaper today:

Since the state began installing speed cameras and using mobile vans on roads about 2 months ago, there has been over 41,000 tickets issued with a potential revenue of $6.6 million.

The Governor had the gall to include revenue from future tickets in the 2009 budget as 'income'.

If anyone believes that these cameras are there for law enforcement purposes, I have nice beachfront property in Gila Bend I want to sell you.

I'll have to check in to that GPS monitoring software, that sounds like jsut the 'ticket'. Traffic normally moves here at 70 - 80 miles an hour on the freeways, day dream a bit and help reduce the AZ state deficit.

They just installed over 100 more cameras on different routes across Phoenix. While driving to a friend's house for Thanksgiving my roommate said " How can they catch anybody, They place signs up before all the radar?"

Just then a car steaked buy and got caught.

LE does not catch people because we're so damm smart....trust me I know this.

We catch 'em because they're so damm stupid.

and I'll bet that guy that got caught was incensed at the "radar trap" on the highway.

Can't tell you the # of guys I've pulled over for driving like idiots that had suspended licenses.

If they just drove like a normal person past the MARKED POLICE CRUISER they would never have provoked the reaction they got.

BUt then again I would be out of a job if they all listened to the laws.

Heres to job security!

JK