Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MacArthur Comp/Muzzle brake

tikboy

Dear guys,

Can you tell me where I can get info on this brake. I am currently building an open rifle and have narrowed down my list to the following comps to use.

1. SJC

2. Benny Hill's Rolling Thunder

3. Macarthur Brake

Comments and violent reactions are welcome.

Thanks

I believe the SJC Titan to be the best of any comp on the market. I've tried them all. The Rolling Thunder is very good too. If the Titan was not available I'd use it. Very subtle difference between the two.

Thank you very much sir.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not on your list but the JP beer can comp does the most in terms of what a muzzle brake/comp is designed to do. It also puts more noise and muzzle blast on the operator.

If you jump over to snipershide, the view over there is that all muzzle brakes work about the same and the only real difference is how they look. I personally do not subscribe to that view but I can say that the differences in most comps is not very large.

I personally think the Miculek comp works better than the F2. I am not impressed with the F2 at all. The JP/Cooley Tactical comp works OK. A little better than the Miculek brake. I own all of the major name comps from buying them to find the best mousetrap. I recently bought a Rolling Thunder comp since I heard so much good about them. Its the only comp I've tried that comes close to the effectiveness of the SJC Titan. The Rolling Thunder just seems to have a little too much downforce. I like my rifle to stay as flat as possible while shooting. Not dipping or rising. But.....the downforce is only minimally noticable. Which persoanlly I think its easier to recover from more downforce than rise in the muzzle. Also....each individual rifle and the way it is setup can effect the performance of a comp. Powder choice,bullet weight,barrel length,rifle weightgas system,reciprocating mass weight...etc.....all have an effect on the way a rifle performs and can weigh in on how the comp reacts on a given rifle.

I still say the SJC Titan. And yes.....it is LOUD

I prefer the Rolling Thunder. Just love it and it loved my M4 in Afghanistan. ;) Still waiting to try the Titan though, but feel that it is probably the only one that will compare to the Rolling Thunder. I have both JP comps and they are great too. You really can't go wrong with any of these. Like Todd, I'm completely unimpressed with the F2. For the $$$ the Miculek is by far the best value.

Rich

I've got a drawer full of pretty much all the comps. The JP "Tank Brake" is the best across the board, and looks the neatest (laughs). The Miculek is the best comp for the dollar spent, IMO. I think the Titan looks cool and works pretty well, as does the Benny Brake. The Surefire works well, and serves as a great base for a (rather expensive but very functional) can.

Of the 350 or so F2 sold, these are the first negative perfomance-based comments I've seen or heard, and I'm in a position to see 'em all ;) FWIW, the F2 are selling like hotcakes at Brownells :)

Alex

I have an F2 on my ar15 and Rolling thunder on my DPMS .308 and both work great. Shot a .300 win mag with JP tank brake the other day and you you could see the hits in the dirt at 300 another one that works great.

I heard somewhere that the MSTN Quiet comp is better than the SJC or the RT. Can anybody confirm this?

UMMMM......NO........but it is better than the Miculek brake.

When I first started buying comps.....that was the first one I bought. It worked well for the month it was on my rifle. Then I got a JP/Cooley and it worked about the same. Then the SJC Titans had just come out and I bought one at the A6 3 gun from Chris Patty. I shot the A6 match with the JP and then put the SJC on for the upcoming first Benning match four years ago. The SJC has been on my rifle ever since because I cannot find anything better.

I even like the Titan better than the JP Tank brank. The Titan shoots smuch flatter than the tank and is much faster for rapid target engagement. The Tank brake has absolutely zero rearward movement though but the muzzle still jumps up. I have a surefire brake on an 18" SPR rifle that I shoot so that I can use their suppressor on it. It is marginal at best too. I have tried it on my competiton rifle and it works about as good as the JP/Cooley brake.

Heres a test I do to test how efficient a comp is at redirecting gas. I touch a carboard target with the muzzle and pull the trigger. If it leaves a small hole with no outward spidering it is effective and redirecting all of the gas for the most effect. The only comp I have done that with is the Titan. All others have at least blown a large hole through the cardboard or left large spidering radial tears. Even the Rolling thunder left about 3/4" of radial tears. The Titan leaves a clean hole with a little black soot ring. That says something to me.

Honestly if you want the best performance from a brake....get a Titan or Rolling Thunder. You will not be sorry.