Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat top AR with fixed front sight...why?

-JQ-

I am fairly ignorant to most things AR.

Now I'm getting the bug for a 3gun AR...bad timing as the market seems to be haywire on lowers etc...

Why do some flat tops have fixed front sights. I think I want a total flat top (18-20")as I plan to put on optics. Is that going to be in the way of my optics if I do get one like that?

No I'm not going to change my handle to AR_MTBR...so don't worry about that...

With a low power scope you'll see the front sight, with a higher power you won't. If you don't want the front sight, since you'll be using optics, you have two choices. Replace the front sight with a gas block, or cut off the offending area with a hacksaw, then file to clean it up. Gas block exchange looks nicer, either works.

I suppose one answer would be that you had an eotech installed on the flat top and a rear sight behind it. This would allow you to co-witness the the optic and the sights. I never liked it that way myself, but some do. I usually just swap it for one without the sight or for one with a pic rail so I can re-install irons if I just have to.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

I am fairly ignorant to most things AR.

Now I'm getting the bug for a 3gun AR...bad timing as the market seems to be haywire on lowers etc...

Why do some flat tops have fixed front sights. I think I want a total flat top (18-20")as I plan to put on optics. Is that going to be in the way of my optics if I do get one like that?

No I'm not going to change my handle to AR_MTBR...so don't worry about that...

There are some operational people who think a staked (traditional) front sight/ gas block assy is the safest way to make sure your gas block does not loosen under actual life and death conditions.

Plus the military M4 came with a standard front sight assy

There are some operational types also that would like to have a front sight they didn't have to try to flip up in a fire fight if said eotech, aimpoint, etc. decided to crap out on them. For us non-operational types you can still get a pinned gas block that doesn't have a front sight.

The GI front sight base is cheap and functional, and gives you a permanent "ready to go" front sight. As others mentioned, it is also pinned in place, which makes it more robust than a set screw type gas block. If the FSB blocks your view, you can indeed chop it off. The downside with the GI FSB is that there is no gas adjustment... some competitive shooters like an adjustable gas block. Personally, I prefer a non-adjustable gas block for reliability anyway, and I'll put up with a bit more felt recoil, but that's just me.

On my 'real world' rifle, I run an EOTech with a standard front sight. It does not obscure my vision and if the scope were to go down, I have the FSB and a flip up rear.

Rich

That certainly makes sense for the real world and keeps is it simple...as I only live in my own little world... :surprise:

This info helps a lot and sort of confirms what I think I might need...if my aimpoint takes a dive i'll just use my bayonet :ph34r: Is that major power?

I know there is every possible option for the AR...I'm just a little behind the AR-curve...

Current Bureau issue AR's are RRA M-4 style with fixed front sight, flat top and and EOTech. If the scope breaks you're still in the fight.

Now, for my personal home defense AR, I'm thinking of building one with a flip up front and rear sights as backups. R,