Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 in 9mm

cassidy

I looking for a 1911 in 9mm. I need a 9mm so it can be used for both work and competition. I have only sceen a few on the market such as Kimber gold match, or Aegis. Les Baer can be chambered in 9mm on select models. I would like one which can hold 1.5" at 25 yards. Accuracy is a key feature Im looking for.

Welcome to the forums, best place on the internet.

If you are looking for a gun that is more or less 'off the rack' and extremely accurate you will be looking at semi-custom guns like the Baer, Nighthawk or Rock River. You might get it in a Kimber, you might not. 1.5" at 25 yards isn't super accurate and while there have been a bunch of production guns that will do 1.5" it isn't anything you could bet on. If you really want the accuracy spend the money and get a semi-custom.

What sport do you want it for. The folks over at Rock River have a 9mm built exclusively for PPC. They did a lot of work in getting the gun as accurate as possible and working with a couple PPC guys to get the loads developed where they need to be. That said, 1.5 at 25 is not that hard of a standard to meet. A couple guys that I talked to working with the RRA 9mm PPC were getting 1" at 50 yds regularly. Is there a specific sport you're looking to use it for or just practacing accuracy?

What sport do you want it for. The folks over at Rock River have a 9mm built exclusively for PPC. They did a lot of work in getting the gun as accurate as possible and working with a couple PPC guys to get the loads developed where they need to be. That said, 1.5 at 25 is not that hard of a standard to meet. A couple guys that I talked to working with the RRA 9mm PPC were getting 1" at 50 yds regularly. Is there a specific sport you're looking to use it for or just practacing accuracy?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fus...category_ID=209

might not be available.

The folks over at Rock River have a 9mm built exclusively for PPC. They did a lot of work in getting the gun as accurate as possible and working with a couple PPC guys to get the loads developed where they need to be. That said, 1.5 at 25 is not that hard of a standard to meet. A couple guys that I talked to working with the RRA 9mm PPC were getting 1" at 50 yds regularly.

+1

But Rock River has ceased pistol production. The reason is the cost of their frames/slides have DOUBLED in the last year. If you find one BUY it!!

I've got a RR in 38 Super that shoots around 1" at 50 yrd out of a Ransom rest. Several others I shoot with have 9's that shoot as well. The big factor is ammo quality.

You could find a 'smith that knows how to fit a barrel, any 1911 potentially will shoot 1" at 50 yards and 1.5" at 25 is not that tough mechanically. But keep in mind that the front sight covers more than 1.5" at 25 yards!!!

The combo of a well fit barrel, quality ammo, a good trigger, and sights you can see is what to look for. If you are up to the task, a good group is part of the equation.

I looking for a 1911 in 9mm. I need a 9mm so it can be used for both work and competition. I have only sceen a few on the market such as Kimber gold match, or Aegis. Les Baer can be chambered in 9mm on select models. I would like one which can hold 1.5" at 25 yards. Accuracy is a key feature Im looking for.

If you want better accuracy than most meer mortals can shoot you need to pony up and get at least a semi custom or a full custom gun. With that being said I've seen decently fit factory guns turn into nice accurate guns with a barrel and bushing fit.

I have a Springfield that is plenty accurate... but I believe in production guns.. it is something of a lotto.. few win many loose.

Wilson Combat just released a new 9 mm 1911 that has a 1" at 25 yartds guarantee. If you don't mind the price:(

I've got my eye on an STI Rangemaster in 9mm. It may not be legal for any of the games, but I think it would be a blast to shoot and help get my wife more "into" shooting!!

Doug is right, the loads make a huge difference. I have done a lot of testing with the Ransom Rest over the years and have found out that ammo is biggest part of the equation.

Wilson has a (KZ 9) 9 mm polymer frame 16 or 17 shot 9 mm guarantees to shoot 1 1/2" at 25 yards. If it shoots anything like my KZ 45, you'll have something. The KZ pistols are around $1300 if I'm not mistaken.

Les Baer is in there, too.

Buddy

• 3 weeks later...

I just got through testing a Wilson Classic ESP 9mm for an article. I ran ten different loads, hollowpoints all, through the gun: standard pressure, +P, +P+. It worked perfectly. And of those ten loads, from the bench at 50 feet (the maximum distance possible at the indoor range on which I do most of my shooting), seven of them shot inside 1". So the 1.5" guarantee at 25 yards isn't just hype, it's quite real. After all, 0.8" at 50 feet (the best group I fired - with Hornady 147-gr. TAP CQ, in case you were wondering) translates to 1.2" at 25 yards. And that's with me behind the gun! :lol:

The folks over at Rock River have a 9mm built exclusively for PPC. They did a lot of work in getting the gun as accurate as possible and working with a couple PPC guys to get the loads developed where they need to be. That said, 1.5 at 25 is not that hard of a standard to meet. A couple guys that I talked to working with the RRA 9mm PPC were getting 1" at 50 yds regularly.

+1

But Rock River has ceased pistol production. The reason is the cost of their frames/slides have DOUBLED in the last year. If you find one BUY it!!

I've got a RR in 38 Super that shoots around 1" at 50 yrd out of a Ransom rest. Several others I shoot with have 9's that shoot as well. The big factor is ammo quality.

You could find a 'smith that knows how to fit a barrel, any 1911 potentially will shoot 1" at 50 yards and 1.5" at 25 is not that tough mechanically. But keep in mind that the front sight covers more than 1.5" at 25 yards!!!

The combo of a well fit barrel, quality ammo, a good trigger, and sights you can see is what to look for. If you are up to the task, a good group is part of the equation.

That's interesting. A group of hardcore bullseye type guys did a test a while back using various brands of premium barrels in a test fixture rather than an actual gun and they only were able to get one barrel that was capable of true 1" groups at 50yds (it was a Schueman AET). Several were capable of 1.5", but that's 50% worse really.

Some of those same folks are now working up a similar test in 9mm and they have been unable to get 1" at 50yds regardless of what barrel/bullet combo they're tried....that's testing all the premum barrels they could get their hand on. Initial reports back are that they think the combination of nominal .355 bores with .355 bullets isn't going to get it done and they'll have to go to .356 or .357 bullets to see any improvement. It reminds me I'll have to make a call and find out exactly what group is doing the testing.

There was a thread in the gunsmithing section about this not long ago and somene else quoted more accurately who did that first test. I'll try to find it....interesting read.

As to the original question, I'd also vote for an STI Trojan....won't break the bank and should be able to get you the accuracy you want. Mine is in .40 but it's impressively accurate. I have a Schuemann barrel for it that I've waited almost a year to get fit...I'm sure it'll be more accurate, but it's already way more than accurate enough for what we do, so it's not high on my priority list. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Only Les Baer will build one guaranteed to 1.5" at 50 yards, not 25. After 30,000 rounds you'll appreciate what you started with.

+1 fpr the STI Trojan. I replaced the recoil spring on mine to 10# rather than the 14 it came with and now the gun functions fine. Very accurate and far more accurate than I will be able to shoot.

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank