Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 major powder

gmantwo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4.8 gr Win Super Target - 180 gr cast.

5.2 gr for MG 180 gr jacketed, 1.184 OAL for both.

172 PF

Loads both run well in a Para Limited and an STI SS.

WST burn rate must simular to 320? I'll have to give it a try next time I buy powder.

This poll is sorta uselsss since so many good choices are missing. But Hodgden Clays(plain ol Clays) is pretty awesome in 40. Alot of folks are scared to death of it. What I do believe is that most of the horror stories started back when the PF was 175. Since its been 165,I believe its a much better suited powder. I load it in short OAL for Glocks and long for my STI's without any problems. Its accurate,clean,consistent,and soft shooting with a great sight track.

I've started using Solo 1000 and its almost identical in sight track and feel but definitely a different sound and smell. Solo definitely smokes alot less than any other powder I've used. Solo works great with the moly coated bullets and is a low charge weight powder.

• 1 month later...
I've been shooting solo and 180 Black Bullets and it rocks, good feel and no smoke.

Any body got any .40 major Glock recipies for solo?

I've been shooting Precision 185 Molly's with 4.8gr Solo-1000 to an OAL of 1.225" in my SV. Have shot about 8K now and I Love this load!

• 6 months later...

I am gonna buck the trend here, a friend of mine tried all kinds of powders for limited .40 including the whole range of VV powders(im not knockin em, i shoot 3n37 ONLY in my open guns) he came up with WST, couple that with a bear creek moly, and voila!!!!!!!!!! soft shooting, makes power factor, clean burning, ANNNNND at the time was an amazing 10 bucks per pound

I dunno... you guys all like the really fast powders, but one mentioned the old WAP which is the same as Silhouette from Ramshot. I have used Silhouette a lot lately and I really like it... Burns clean, runs cool, and makes major and beyond with no pressure problems. Meters great in my 650 too. 5.8grns will give 171 PF with plated Berry's or Rainier 180's and about 173 PF with lead S&S 180's at 1.130 OAL in my XD Tactical or my XDm.