Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 major powder

gmantwo

Hey guys, I just bought an STI Executive that I'm going to shoot in Limited and Limited 10. I'm wondering what powder is the most frequently used for this. Right now I have Montana Gold 165's and some Precision 170's. I open to getting a different bullet if that's the consensus. I know we were shooting heavier bullets before the commonality of comps(1990). I've been shooting 9mm major for quite a while now, but am just getting into .40, and I think I like it, lol. I can make major with #5 but it takes 8.3gr and I think it's a little slow for this. Thanks, Greg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I was around when VV came into being, but I didn't think of them. They used to sell a pak of 4 powders of different powders in 1/4 lb lots. I wish all the powder makers would do that, then you could buy a 4pak in the burn rates you're interested in and figure out which you like without buying a whole pound. Greg

N320 or Titegroup with a 180gr bullet is going to be the overwhelming favorite. Either of those powders with a 200 would probably be second followed by 165s. I'm not sure whether more folks are using N320 or Titegroup, but I'd guess that N320 is in the lead.

For me, 4.8gr of N320 with either a MG 180jhp or Zero 180gr jhp. R,

I voted: Null. Solo 1000 here too. It is THE reasonable, single-base replacement for expensive VV N-320. Try it. You WILL like it.

Solo 1000 for me. I used Titegroup for a while but Solo is much cleaner.

I voted TG.

4.7gr under a 180CMJ gives me a PF of 172.6

I tried 4.7gr/N320 under the aforementioned 180gr bullet giving a PF of 176 from my STI Trojan and 178.87 from my G35.

I will drop a grain or so for the G35.

See posts near the end of this thread. I have tried Zip, and ran with it for a year...have also tested loads with Red Dot, TG, Solo, Enforcer, several VV powders,and Universal Clays.

I found WSF ran nicely in my M&P .40 with 170 lead SWCs and 180 lead TC and Berrys JHPs. Clean burning, nice recoil impulse, accurate, and goes a long way when loading between 5-6 grains behind 170s and 180s.

There's so much to consider when loading your own. What do YOU like the feel of? What does your PISTOL like? How far does a pound of it go? Availability in the future? A lot of it is personal preference. I don't get hung up on hype, but want to see with my own eyes and feel with my hands what different loads do.

I have been doing nothing but experimenting for 3 straight months 3-4X/week, and have a dozen 1# containers open. I finally settled on the WSF as my favorite after testing literally several hundred different loadings. It met all of the requirements I was looking for.

In the end, see paragraph 3 above. Factor those things in, and you'll be on your way. It is a very personal decision.

None of the above .... I like 5.5 grains of Vita Vhouri N-320 under my Montana Gold 165's.

Soft & clean, very consistent, and not sensitive to temperature.

+1 on the N-320, but I use 4.9 with Zero 180 JHP loaded to 1.18 OAL.