Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 major powder

gmantwo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm shooting .40 minor in a G35 in Production right now, and have tried TG, Clays, Unique and N320. All seem to work equally well with a slight nod to Clays for the general softness.

But as I up the load in tests from 135PF to 170PF, N320 becomes my favorite with TG second and Clays last.

As a result, I've settled on N320 as my preferred powder for .40 minor and major. And, even shooting minor, I find with N320 that a 145PF is the best performer. IOW, it seems to perform better at the higher PF than it does down around 125.

I should note that I'm shooting a lower than average OAL (1.25) to avoid any feeding problems with the mags. This effects things to varying degrees and is the main reasons I am avoiding Clays.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Graham Smith

I'm shooting .40 minor in a G35 in Production right now, and have tried TG, Clays, Unique and N320. All seem to work equally well with a slight nod to Clays for the general softness.

But as I up the load in tests from 135PF to 170PF, N320 becomes my favorite with TG second and Clays last.

As a result, I've settled on N320 as my preferred powder for .40 minor and major. And, even shooting minor, I find with N320 that a 145PF is the best performer. IOW, it seems to perform better at the higher PF than it does down around 125.

I should note that I'm shooting a lower than average OAL (1.25) to avoid any feeding problems with the mags. This effects things to varying degrees and is the main reasons I am avoiding Clays.

Your mileage may vary.

Graham

I think you either misstated the gun you are using or mistyped the OAL...... :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Currently I use N320 for Glock 35 major and minor and for my STI Edge. Running MG 180gr. However, I think I'm going to switch to Clays and switch to Black Bullet International bullets. I miss my old Masterblasters bullets.

TG is a dirty leg who*%

180 bear creek with 4.6grns TG shoots very nice

Used to load exactly like that until bear creek disappeared from the web.

Now I use 180gr. copper plated with 4.2 Titegroup.

Think I'm going to bump it up though, the crono will have the last say on the subject.

I've shot alot of different powders and I keep coming back to TiteGroup with M.G. 180's. It makes a 170 p.f. consistently out of a 5" STI and it also works well in minor when dowloaded. It's readily available and in my experience it burns cleanly. I also use a WSR primer with mixed brass. When I find myself with the urge to try something else the words of a wisened GM shooter keep coming back, "It's the Indian and not the arrow".

Hey guys, I just bought an STI Executive that I'm going to shoot in Limited and Limited 10. I'm wondering what powder is the most frequently used for this. Right now I have Montana Gold 165's and some Precision 170's. I open to getting a different bullet if that's the consensus. I know we were shooting heavier bullets before the commonality of comps(1990). I've been shooting 9mm major for quite a while now, but am just getting into .40, and I think I like it, lol. I can make major with #5 but it takes 8.3gr and I think it's a little slow for this. Thanks, Greg

I voted Titegroup since it's my "plan b" powder. Titegroup shoots fine, but it's dirtier than N320. My vote: N320!