Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building an STI?

DMAC

I just got an e-mail from Brownells and they have an STI 2011 Slide and Frame kit for sale.

I am not a gunsmith, but I thought it might be an interesting project to try and build the rest.

Would a project like this require gunsmithing skills to get everything else to fit and work well or would I just be better off spending about $2000 and getting a gun from STI?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Would a project like this require gunsmithing skills to get everything else to fit and work well or would I just be better off spending about $2000 and getting a gun from STI?

This.

All they did was fit the slide and frame. You still have to do everything else which is a LOT.

This.

All they did was fit the slide and frame. You still have to do everything else which is a LOT.

Hey Matt how much do you charge to build a 6" STI? If I get all the parts. I am thinking of buying parts over the winter and build one in the spring. Got any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

This.

Hey Matt how much do you charge to build a 6" STI? If I get all the parts. I am thinking of buying parts over the winter and build one in the spring. Got any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

You need to ask Matt that in a PM...or in his Dealer Forum. ;)

Thanks for all of the feedback. I did check Brazos and Dawson Precision and it looks like they do some great work. It sounds like there is some work done fitting the barrel to the bushing/frame and that would be a bit much to learn for my first 2011 build. I also haven't figured the cost to the tools that I would require. I think that it would be a great experience to attempt this, but it sounds like I'm biting off more than I can chew for my first 1911/2011 build.

I did the math early on trying to figure out if its cheaper to build yourself or have one built.

I ended up going with a gunsmith built gun that runs 100%.

But you are right, the tools itself will cost a bunch, plus you'll have this nagging feeling if you put it together right or not :mellow: