Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw

bradthegunmaniac

Try both with a timer for half an hour. I did. Discovered that I can 'lift' a vest faster than I can sweep it. But only by a tenth or maybe two.

The disaster-factor is extremely high, however. A fistful of vest is not rare if attempting to lift the vest like an untucked shirt. It almost never happens on a sweep, though.

You can probably guess which technique I've settled on.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Sweep for me, but it depends on the garnment. Get proficient with the most reliable method, make up any lost time you have on the draw with a clean executed run. Consistent execution of a reliable method of drawing will eventually lead to a faster draw from muscle memory. But what you gain during the time is a confidence in the draw.

If you goof up your draw you will lose a lot of momentum in burning down COF. But if you are able to get a good clean draw, even if it means giving up a .2-.5 second, you could get enough momentum going that it more than makes up, rather than having a bad draw in the back of your mind.

In IDPA, the draw is not nearly as essential as execution and accuracy.

Edited by Aristotle

If you are going to stay in "the Spirit of IDPA" then you should do what you would do in a real world situation and get as good as you can using that technique and save the gamer techniques for IPSC.

I was taught (years before IDPA) and think it works best when wearing a vest to start the sweep as high as you can (pectoral) which gives a much more positive sweep and more consistent sweep into a more consistent draw. Starting the sweep lower is faster but less consistent (more screwups) and much less consistent draw especially a less consistent grip on the draw from a low sweep. To me a low sweep to draw is an arc (bad) and is like arcing the gun onto target (bad) instead of rising and pushing to target (good).

If you carry concealed with just a shirt as cover sometimes and not always a vest, then I would recommend competing that way sometimes and lifting the shirt with BOTH hands as high as possible and then while still holding the shirt high with support hand making the draw with firing hand. The 2 hand techniques is the same as the sweep from high... in that it is a little slower but much more consistent with out screwups/hangups and gives a more natural and consistent line to the draw and grip on the draw.

This is all My Humble Opinion and if I'm wrong or outdated I hope one of my betters here will correct this.

I do a quick sweep (it helps if you sway to the off side so that the vest gets out of the way a bit more). Until recently I was too fat to lift with the off hand and draw and too clumsy to lift and draw with the strong hand.

Carrying anything in the pocket to help get the vest out of the way is against the rules (I thought) and a mag in the pocket is too heavy IMO. I say this despite the fact that one of the founders of IDPA and other experts recommended carrying something like car keys to help in the sweep.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

qoute:

If you goof up your draw you will lose a lot of momentum in burning down COF. But if you are able to get a good clean draw, even if it means giving up a .2-.5 second, you could get enough momentum going that it more than makes up, rather than having a bad draw in the back of your mind.

+1 TO THAT..you may not have the fastest draw,but a more consistant draw ,i think, is more important...getting ahold of the gun and driving [indexing it] towards the target,while pickingup the front sight is more important to me...what you lose on a draw can be made up with a faster sight picture going to the target and getting the shot off earlier....

I do a quick sweep (it helps if you sway to the off side so that the vest gets out of the way a bit more). Until recently I was too fat to lift with the off hand and draw and too clumsy to lift and draw with the strong hand.

Carrying anything in the pocket to help get the vest out of the way is against the rules (I thought) and a mag in the pocket is too heavy IMO. I say this despite the fact that one of the founders of IDPA and other experts recommended carrying something like car keys to help in the sweep.

Richard

Hello Richard, I sure as heck don't won't to get DQ or receive a FTDR. Can you show me that rule?

Thanks,

A.T.

Richard

Hello Richard, I sure as heck don't won't to get DQ or receive a FTDR. Can you show me that rule?

Thanks,

A.T.

I contacted a couple of rule savvy shooters. Carrying a mag in my pocket is legal,.... as long as it does not fall out of my pocket. :surprise: So I think in the future, I'll carry my billfold and car keys.

Stay Safe,

A.T.