Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My quest to make it a TRUE GM

ATMester

Hi Guys,

About me:

This is my second year in USPSA (I have a littler more shooting background) currently I am B class Single Stack.

I have been dry firing 4 days a week (approx an hour a la Anderson style and I also have my own two days worth of dry-fire exercises....what I believe needs to ibe mproved.)

Averaging 20000 rounds (.45acp) a year I do live fire once a week (two if a big match is on the horizon) and one maybe two match a week. USPSA as well as IDPA and Steel.

I do quality practice I do not work on those skills what I already have.

I am capable of :

Ice cold I have done 2.09 sec clean Bill drills. Now keep in mind -ice cold and a single stack .45 gun. Ice cold means first thing in the live fire day I load it and go for it...no practice draws no nothing. My grooved in times are obviously easily better.

At 25 yards on a full size IPSC target I can shoot a 2" or better head shot group any day. I practice drills out tho 60 yards every day.

I can shoot a 100% or better El Presidente with the Single stack gun well not always but an M class is almost always guaranteed. I never shot one in a match - classifier yet (4.6 sec to 5.8 sec down a few points)

I own a swinger also I can practice other things then stationary targets too.

I've shot bigger matches, and I am also going to shoot the Nationals A2 etc this year-next year.

I have also studied the mental part of the game.

Now the way I achieved my B card is that I never know what the classifier will be till I walked into the bay and I never re-shoot one. I take what I get for the first try as well as everybody else in the club.

Yes I am not looking to be a paper GM nor we have any in our club (but this is another topic running paralell somewhere else let's leave it as is) but what I was told by guys who's name would be familiar that the classifier percentages just pumped up way too much....you know guys are shooing them days and nights...and making it GM or M 3 months after they made a post - questioned about how to grip a gun lol

So how can I improve my match placement and bring my percentage up?

What do I need to do to see more improvement?

I would appreciate answers-opinions from those who truly qualified to give answers...

Regards,

Edited by TheHun

I have to agree with Matt,i'm no grand master(b class across the board)but ive watched a many GM shoot matches and were they excel is in there movements.they have there steps down to a T.They have no wasted movements not only in there foot work but also in there gun handling skills.the average shooter will move into a port find there sights and fire were a Gm will be engaging targets as they come into the port,this is were they shave most of the time off compared to the rest of us

I have to concur with Dr. Glock. High M and all GM's that I know are very good at stage strategy and economy of motion. There are no wasted moments or movements. The fast stuff and classifiers are not where you win (although they can be where you lose). No offense but it sounds like what you are practicing is the way to get high scores on classifiers, not on the field stages. Shooting on the move, reload strategy (especially in SS), and general stage strategy are what I have been working on with some high level shooters as of late. B class Production here, so reload strategy is a killer.

Stand and shoot skills don't win matches.
Bingo. I have said it before and I'll say it again. The classifier is typically the easiest stage in a match, and usually doesn't have a whole lot of points. Anyone with good technique, decent physical ability, a grasp of the fundamentals, and a good dose of dedication will eventually bang out classifiers in the 85%-100% range cold and on demand. A GM card is not only achievable, it is inevitable. Alas, in a long course it's usually the non-shooting tasks that really shave the time off of the clock. Economy of motion and a thorough understanding of your own shooting style, technique, and temperament is what brings the time down and the hit factor up.

How to bring one's per centage up? Learn how to run the gun. How to improve one's match placement? Learn the game and about yourself.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Stand and shoot skills don't win matches. You have to be able to smoke a field course, and do it all the time. Movement, consistency, mental game, are all skills that win matches.

+1

at a certain point it is no longer about the shooting. For me its about the mental game

At the end of the day, here's where it comes down to:

Hits

shooting techniques

Movements

Stage strategy

Mental game

BIG MATCH EXPIRIENCE!!!

I can always guarantee you will loose 100% of the time because we tend get LAZY(it is human nature) and stop

PRACTICING the basic shooting after awhile..

I would also take a shooting lesson from a GM pro!! so that there are no bad shooting habits later on.

From that point on, work , work ,work until you get burned out..then come back then work work work and have fun again!

Stand and shoot skills don't win matches. You have to be able to smoke a field course, and do it all the time. Movement, consistency, mental game, are all skills that win matches.

Man that statement is the shiz! Matt is an excellent shooter and speaks from talent and expertise.

The best way to shoot field courses well is to shoot many field courses! (That is, after having the fundamentals down). Shoot as many club and major matches that you can afford! Every shot fired is taking you closer to your goal.

To add my own thoughts on the subject (as one who cares about high overall and not classification).... It sounds cliche, but getting to the point of being an M or GM "on paper" requires practicing the fundamentals to get them right. The "real" GM's (or those that are winning the big matches) practice to never do anything wrong. In other words, consistency across the board. As for the skills themselves, its fundamental gun handling (duh) and the ability to combine aggressive movement with deliberate and accurate shot placement.

Get an Open gun and shoot in that division. You will learn and progress quicker with a dot than with iron sights.

Not necessarily. Throwing hardware at a software problem isn't going to help. I'm sure I could train myself to shoot with a dot, but after playing with an open gun for a few months I concluded I'm just an iron sight shooter. Shooting open did point out some flaws in my presentation of the gun (i.e. the dot dance.) Overall, I can't say it did anything magical (other than lightening my wallet considerably.) I'm back to my Glock. ;)

Get an Open gun and shoot in that division. You will learn and progress quicker with a dot than with iron sights.
I think the notion is that an Open gun will allow the shooter to shift some of their attention and focus away from the sights (and pesky reloads) and redirect that attention to other shooting tasks. When a person goes to open because it's "easier", they need to remember it's easier for everyone else too and the hit factors are nutzoid high. Open is the middle aged fat guy's Catch-22. I am half blind so Open is easier and more fun while on the trigger, but I move like a beached whale and if you shoot Open you best bring your best game in the motion department.

Stand and shoot skills don't win matches.
Bingo. I have said it before and I'll say it again. The classifier is typically the easiest stage in a match, and usually doesn't have a whole lot of points. Anyone with good technique, decent physical ability, a grasp of the fundamentals, and a good dose of dedication will eventually bang out classifiers in the 85%-100% range cold and on demand. A GM card is not only achievable, it is inevitable. Alas, in a long course it's usually the non-shooting tasks that really shave the time off of the clock. Economy of motion and a thorough understanding of your own shooting style, technique, and temperament is what brings the time down and the hit factor up.

How to bring one's per centage up? Learn how to run the gun. How to improve one's match placement? Learn the game and about yourself.

GM Inevitable? I don't know that I agree with you there Ron. 17,054 members and 324 GMs. that's just under 2%

Edited by JThompson

That's 17,000 members with 324 GM classifications. There's a lot of guys that are GM in many divisions. I'd call it more like 150 GM's.

That's right Matt... I hadn'teven taken that into account. ;) That would put it under 1%. :o

Edited by JThompson

That's 17,000 members with 324 GM classifications. There's a lot of guys that are GM in many divisions. I'd call it more like 150 GM's.

That's right Matt... I hadn'teven taken that into account. ;) That would put it under 1%. :o

and the GMs that can bring it day after day are fewer than that..

Being a GM that can shoot their class is a worthy goal..but it is hard to maintain as real life can get in the way. The shooters at the top are the ones that work on at..devote the time to it and have the time to devote to it.

I think being a paper GM is still something to work for and be proud of if you did work for it. At least it means you can bring it at a particular time and a particular place..and at least its a foothold onto being able to do it anytime, anyplace..afterall there are only stilll just a few.

Want to know what it takes to become a GM - read it all here!

My advicee would be to read through those here that post their diaries of their quest to advance to GM. There are numerous stories of human triumphs and tragedies (competetively speaking) all contained right here in this forum.

I applaud those that are to dedicated to their cause. The writings of PB, Ben Stoeger and Calamity Jane and numerous others speak volumes for the sheer dedication these people have to earn their their goals. The word "can't" is not in their thought process or vocabulary.

Calamity Jane's writings are very moving. Jane is a wife, a mom, and a lady. Her chronicles of her dedication to training and the balancing act of being a wife and a mom leading up to this years Nationals should win a Pulitizer prize! :cheers:

PB & Ben's desire to be the best that they can be are also very motivational. :cheers:

Take the advice of the others that have posted before. Aside from fundamental shooting skills one need to learn about the economy of motion. They also have to be honest with themselves and know their strengths and weakness and have the ability to turn the weakness into strength. Other than that - shooting classifiers is the easy part.

PB & Ben's desire to be the best that they can be are also very motivational. :cheers:

Thanks Mike, I appreciate that :)

I've been thinking about this thread today and wanted to add a little more of my two cents on the matter:

The creed of our sport is DVC-speed, power, and accuracy. In the same triad vein I believe that to be the best shooter to your ability, there are three things needed: The right gear, the right technique, and the right mind set.

Gear:

Look at what the top shooters are using and take the hint. These GM's have done all of the tough r&d work for us, and we can save ourselves plenty of time and grief in trying to use gear that doesn't function properly or serves no purpose. I see alot of people shooting the same jam-o-matic guns match after match, and you simply cannot win with gear that doesn't run.

Technique:

There is no better place on the internet than the forums to study up on proper technique! Learn how to draw, reload from a table, reload on the move, shoot on the move, etc, and practice the hell out of them. Make those skills completely automatic and without thought. I chose to dryfire at home as much as I can since it is cheap and convenient, and then take what I have practiced and apply it to every club match that I can make.

Mindset:

You are going to get the hell beat out of you in this sport, and some matches you are going to shoot poorly. What you do when this happens has HUGE implications on your shooting future. Proper mental management and the mental game with take your shooting as far as you are willing to go. Three books that come to mind are Brian Enos Shooting Beyond the Fundamentals, Saul Kirsch Thinking Practical Shooting, and Lanny Basham With Winning In Mind.

So how can I improve my match placement and bring my percentage up?

What do I need to do to see more improvement?

The inconvenient truth of the matter i the only way to bring your percentages up is to shooter more accurately faster (better). That counts for every stage, whether it's a long field course or a quick classifier.

If you are working that hard you should be seeing a ton of improvement. If you are not seeing that improvement it might be time to work harder. If it is a mental block, search yourself and find out what it is and take the necessary measures to overcome it.

If you are a B class shooter because you don't know what the classifier is, you are a B class shooter. But that can change.

By "inevitable" I mean anyone with the physical tools and devotion will be shooting GM scores on classifiers (paper GM if you will) if they put forth the effort in terms of training, time, and money. If the resources are there, the only way not to make GM is to quit trying or to go into physical decline before the card hits your wallet. Then again, maybe all of the threads and posts about anyone being able to make GM are all wrong. That would make GM shooters (on classifiers) a special breed and I don't know that I am willing to accept that notion.

By "inevitable" I mean anyone with the physical tools and devotion will be shooting GM scores on classifiers (paper GM if you will) if they put forth the effort in terms of training, time, and money. If the resources are there, the only way not to make GM is to quit trying or to go into physical decline before the card hits your wallet. Then again, maybe all of the threads and posts about anyone being able to make GM are all wrong. That would make GM shooters (on classifiers) a special breed and I don't know that I am willing to accept that notion.

Lot's of peoplecan drive cars... lot's of people can race sat night dirt. Not many of those will ever make it in IRL or Nascar...

I do know what you mean, but I don't agree that everyone has the skill set to make it.