Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Entry level AR-15

sgrc1

Hi All, I have been shooting pistol for a few years and want to start rifle shooting. I dont want top dollar as I am not sure if I will be in it for the long run, I do want however to start out with something good that can be later upgraded should I fall into the dark side. So, what is my best choice (specifics please) for a complete AR-15 type gun for around $1000-$1200 bucks...

Txs,

A Sabre Defence competition model, or a DPMS either should have a free floating barrel and forend. A stock trigger is doable, but a JP trigger would go a long way towards helping your long range accuracy. A flat top with removable sights or put an optic on it (if you truly want to go to the darkside). Stick with a 20" barrel for irons or optic.

and you are ready to play the game, a 20 round mag, 3-4 30 round mags, and your set.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!! get good reliable mags, questionable mags will cause you to hate your gun and drive you nuts!!!!

Everyone has favorites, I like thermold,Pmags,DPMS,HK,and GI.

trapr

DPMS "Sportical": MSRP is $699, so I have to imagine you could get one for that if not a little less. Throw a free float tube and then buy scope/sights, mags and ammo. Upgrade in bits/pieces from there. I did a budget build for a friend though and it came in around $1100.

Rich

DPMS "Sportical": MSRP is $699, so I have to imagine you could get one for that if not a little less. Throw a free float tube and then buy scope/sights, mags and ammo. Upgrade in bits/pieces from there. I did a budget build for a friend though and it came in around $1100.

Rich

Anybody know where I can find these DPMS around the Houston/Woodlands area?

I just built my first one, and it came together under the $600 mark. It took a few hours to get everything together, as I had never done it before.

I did add a full length rail on the lower handguard and bipod for another $35, but it is definitely a budget build. On the positive side, at the 25 yd bench, 3 hole groups can be hidden by a quarter at most, usually a dime.

Anybody know where I can find these DPMS around the Houston/Woodlands area?

Slightly out of the woodlands area, but the shop I part time at in Vidor has them, as well as a friends shop in Port Arthur. Probably about a 2 hr drive for you wither way, but if you need it...

Bigbrowndog gives good advice when he recommends a flat top. If you are on a budget you can shoot the iron sights on the removeable carry handle. When you are ready to upgrade and throw an optic on, you can just pull the handle off. Go with a LaRue mount for your scope and you could pull it off, shoot irons for a match, then put your scope back on and it will still be zero'd. Just keep your options open!

so what is the optimal caliber for our sport? I see there are 2 DPMS sportical versions, one in 7.62nato the other 5.56nato.

I also saw the model from Tactics LLC, looks sweet too, however it says 16inch barrel and bigbrowdog had mentioned a 20inch barrel?, the DPMS said 16inch as well.

so what is the optimal caliber for our sport? I see there are 2 DPMS sportical versions, one in 7.62nato the other 5.56nato.

I also saw the model from Tactics LLC, looks sweet too, however it says 16inch barrel and bigbrowdog had mentioned a 20inch barrel?, the DPMS said 16inch as well.

I might be booed by the heavy metal guys but you want 5.56 aka 223 in a starter gun.

Go with the 16 inch barrel in the starter gun. Unless you are going to shoot more than 300 yards on a very regular basis, the 16 will work well enough and give you much more speed target to target on the closer targets. Lots of us have 16 inch rilles and 20 inch rilfes and depending on whether the majority of hte targets are close are far, we pick the one best suited for the specific match.

Flat-top is a must, and its true that DPMS supports our sport - so there is one top option.

Surprisingly, you should SERIOUSLY consider the new Charles Daly AR-15. Why? Quality.

CD LISTENED to the AR-shooting community and put all the top-quality features into their new AR-15: (MP-tested bolt, correctly staked key, enhanced extractor spring and o-ring where needed, top notch barrel, etc.)

Seriously, this appears to be the BEST quality product ever to come from CD - and it beats most of the ARs out there for initial quality.

DPMS brought out 5 ARs to the Junior camp at Ft Benning last weekend. Here is a pic. The had 2 sporticals there with optics. I think the most popular gun was the sportical with a Trijicon w/ chevron. I know i really enjoyed shooting it. It is the second gun, can't see the optic but it is next the rifle with the Brown Trijicon.

I don't know what they will do with those rifles now. They were NIB when DPMS rep unboxed them at the range. They were to be shipped back the factory somet time this week. You never know call up to MN.

Edited by dstroyed

We do 14.5/16/18/20/22/24 inch barrels, the barrel length is important to how far you want to shoot. Several guys on this forum all shoot my 18" mid-length barrel for competition shooting. Thats what I prefer also. There is nothing wrong with a 16" barrel nor with a 20" barrel.

Our home range here in Arizona(RIO) we shoot out to 350yds. Some people only have the luxury of 100yd bays. In Raton, NM, I believe they shot out to 600yds this year. For that long of a range, i would run a 20" barrel.

Again, personal preference and some good info on here with all these world class shooters. Good luck whichever way you go.

Charles you won't get any booing from me, As a HM shooter i like .308 but there is no denying that it is more expensive and harder to find decently priced surplus ammo. For a starter gun .223 is definetly the way to go.

as for the barrel length, again i would stay with 18" as a minimum for GOOD ALL AROUND use. The sportical also does not come with a floating forend, another option that i would highly recommend. DPMS makes many more versions I'm quite sure you can find one that will work and offer the options mentioned. Sabre Defence as well does a lot for the sport and amkes very nice useable versions. As does Bushmaster, S&W, and a host of smaller semi custom shops.

Don't let the desire to get one cause you to buy an undesireable or unsuitable version.

trapr

For a starter rifle in this sport I would recomend a choice with the following features:

18" bbl

Free float tube

Flat top upper

Rifle gas (mid length ok)

Rifle buffer/stock

Two additional items to get with it or soon after would be a good trigger and a compensator.

Also recomend a .223 wylde chamber or 5.56NATO chamber, not a .223rem chamber (most wont be these days)