Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" Fat free following

kurtm

My 6" F.F follows ocasionally, I have tried several different trigger /sear/disconects/springs. ALL will pass the drop the slide test. I have tried several different grips/triggers/mag catches. This only happens when tring to really stand on the trigger, 3 targets at 7 yards in about 1.6 seconds. I am beginging to think it is ME and not the pistol. This doesn't happen with either of my 5" guns. I am begining to think I am doing something to the trigger. Does anyone else have a "follow" ghost?? and if you do what have you done about it? Thanks KurtM

First thought is cracked grip, but looks like you have tried a couple. Second thought is overtravel screw is too tight, try just taking it out for now. Third thought is pre-travel on the trigger is too little, make sure there is at least 30 thou of take up and 60 is better, if you are a trigger prep shooter take ALL of the pre-travel take up out.

Get some buddies to beat it up, see if it will follow for them. I don't know what you do for a living but there are some people that are strong enough to really distort the hell out of the plastic grips under certain conditions, if it will ONLY follow for you and no one else it could be grip related.

Just some random thoughts.....

I had some hammer follow problems recently. As you, I could not figure out the exact cause. Mine stopped with the following things. As HSMITH said above, I got the overtravel screw right by turning in until hammer wouldn't drop and then out about 1/2 to 1 turn. I then had to bend bows of Infiniti trigger to get them square and the bends at 90 degrees - not sharp bends, still radiused but the "arms" were at 90 degrees to each other. This gave me some pretravel, which I had very little of and couldn't adjust any more. (Apparently, they have a harder time getting the titanium bows to bend as well as the stainless.) Had my gunsmith go over the sear, hammer, etc and get everything right. And it stopped. I think it was the pretravel as I really had almost none.

Good luck

Your post regarding pretravel came up while I was typing the above. Again, good luck.

Edited by Holshot

<_< So wouldn't -Following - be when the hammer follows the slide and does not stop at 1/2 cock?

If your gun is going to 1/2 cock the sear spring is pushing the sear enogh to engage the 1/2 cock.

with my gun the hammer would go all the way --Following the slide -- and only pushing the fireing pin so no bang or only a small scratch on the primer.

My Problem was most likely the grip crack letting the sear spring drag on the grip and not pushing the sear.

Try takeing the entire trigger group ( sear hammer safety and spring out of one of your other gun and see if that does it. use the sear pin from the other gun , Your sear pin may be worn and letting the sear "Bounc" off the hammer spurr.

:unsure: and or make shurr the Disconector is not draging on the sear at the inside pin area.

Yes it goes to the Half cock notch, it doesn't follow all the way down. The hammer and sear and disconect at the moment are ther Cylinder and Slide ultra lite #2. I will check out the 6" top on one of the "lowers" tomorrow and see what happens, it actualy fits one of the lowers very well! I will check the disconect releif cut in the slide as at times there has been a disconect "click" when prepping the trigger. Like I said it passes ALL the tests but when I stand on it it will sometimes follow to Half cock! KurtM

Almost forgot the take up stage is at 16 ounces and the sear stage is at 20 onces, for a total pull weight odf 36 onces. K.A.M.

Edited by kurtm

Kurt,

Since it seems that you tried the normal mechanical tests, is it possible that when you're getting on it, that you're "milking the trigger" when the shot breaks? You know, like trying to shoot a Garand that's been worked on, not holding the trigger tightly enough, so it doubles.

I can't shoot splits that tight, middle age kicks in and I forget to let go of the trigger! :roflol:

Kurt,

Since it seems that you tried the normal mechanical tests, is it possible that when you're getting on it, that you're "milking the trigger" when the shot breaks? You know, like trying to shoot a Garand that's been worked on, not holding the trigger tightly enough, so it doubles.

I can't shoot splits that tight, middle age kicks in and I forget to let go of the trigger! :roflol:

:roflol:

Yeah! After a while I wonder how some "old gizzers" (like Robbie) can manage to maintain such fast reflexes and tendons. I have to add outside spacers to the trigger finger side sometimes just to alleviate finger trigger freeze during those splits.

How many rounds through that blaster ??? Maybe a little "angle refresher" to the sear and hammer hooks is in order ?? While you are it maybe a little change in balance to the "two sear fingers" may cure it, just a little bit heavier on the middle leaf ?? this usually improves/promotes faster resetting of the disconnector, and help push your finger away a little bit more. It seems you do not have that problem unless you are really pushing your splits. (???)

Its in the lower! I tried it on a different lower and it worked down to 14 splits...not to hard when you aren't aiming. Next put the lower guts out of the 5" in it and it followed. I am thinking pin hole misaligned disconect hole miss aligned something...so a new lower will be on the way! Plus a trip to Ryan! Should be pretty. This lower will be regulated to the Marvel unit! Thanks for all the input guys you are the greatest! KurtM

Disconect hole is .020 too far forward. It isn't letting the disconecter move fully up when slide is locked. Sear pin hole is .007 too far back on the right hand side and the holes themselves are .004 oversized. I will call STI on Monday and see if anything can be done. Once again thanks for the help guys. KurtM

Thats what we (my gunsmith & I) were afraid was wrong with my Edge last year. We tried the stock internals, then internals out of my open gun, then we put all new parts in it. The sear, hammer, disconnector, sear spring, and all new pins too. It hasnt followed in over 5000 rounds, and almost 6 months now. :)

Hope it works out for you Kurt.

• 2 weeks later...