Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon electronic scale

I have had a Dillon electronic scale for about 2 years, IIRC. It is always stored in it's little plastic Dillon "house" to keep it clean, with the batteries removed, of course. A few days ago I went to use my scale for the first time in 6 months. Inserted the batteries, pressed "on" and only part of the numbers show. I took the batteries out, wiped the ends off, reinserted them and tried again. Same deal as the first time, maybe I gained a piece of one number and lost a piece of another. The batteries were checked with a meter...1.6v each. Tried again with the 110 volt converter. Same deal.

If you turn the scale off and on ten times, you'll get ten different results, but always some whole numbers, some only part of the number appears. Batteries were never left in the scale to corrode, and the scale was used all of 6 times. For the first time I am dissatisfied with a Dillon product, especially when I see that a Pact scale is made in Texas (that is in the USA) and has a lifetime warranty for less money.

I had some odd behavior from my Dillon scale when I moved it, as you had to have done to have inserted batteries. Eventually I left the batteries in and left it sitting for a day and then it started working just fine. For the last year it has been sitting in the same spot with the same batteries in it and it always comes on and works fine when I use it (one or twice a week).

Usually when the display on a scale is incomplete, either the face has suffered an impact,

or the scale has been at a temperature below freezing. If the number sections appear

and disappear, try using a scotchbrite pad to scrub the ends of the battery contacts. Have

you tired the scale using the A/C adapter?

On an out of warranty scale, we will replace it for $85.00 plus the old scale in exchange.

Usually when the display on a scale is incomplete, either the face has suffered an impact,

or the scale has been at a temperature below freezing. If the number sections appear

and disappear, try using a scotchbrite pad to scrub the ends of the battery contacts. Have

you tired the scale using the A/C adapter?

On an out of warranty scale, we will replace it for $85.00 plus the old scale in exchange.

I tried the scale with the AC adapter with the same results. Ditto for the cleaning (of the already pristine) battery contacts on the scale. Except for the shipping to me, this scale has never been in temperatures below 68 degrees or above 80 degrees. The scale has never been dropped. I am not satisfied with the quality of this scale, which is definitely not up to the usual Dillon quality standard. I will take my money and buy a Pact digital or a commercial digital grain scale for the same price with a lifetime warranty. By what I have read on the web this is not an unusual problem with this scale.

Edited by flutedchamber

I had the same problem and brought it back to Dillon. My scale was old so I paid $85 for a new one since it was no longer in warrentee for a free replacement.

After two weeks the new scale went out. :angry2:

Fortunately a friend came over for dinner that night and I asked him to look at the scale. He took the plastic plate off the scale and gently placed it back into the four holes. Seems that if too much pressure was on the scale it would not work.

Since his job is to calibrate stuff I trusted him. It now works perfectly and I'll bet the old scale would too if I had just taken the plate off and gently reset it.

I will take my money and buy a Pact digital or a commercial digital grain scale for the same price with a lifetime warranty. By what I have read on the web this is not an unusual problem with this scale.

I own a Pact, RCBS and Dillon. Of the three in order of confidence in the results and repeatability the Dillon is first followed by the RCBS with the Pact last. The Pact I have is the one they sell with the powder dispenser.

• 1 month later...

After much shopping and comparing I bought a MyWeigh Gem Pro 500 for $108 delivered. Accurate to .05 grains, 1543 grain capacity. It comes with an AC adapter and plastic box plus check weight. Tare may be set up to full weight capacity of scale. Super sensitive and not bothered by lite air movement. I am very pleased with this scale. Oh, lifetime guarantee. :D

Where did you buy it for that price?

After much shopping and comparing I bought a MyWeigh Gem Pro 500 for $108 delivered. Accurate to .05 grains, 1543 grain capacity. It comes with an AC adapter and plastic box plus check weight. Tare may be set up to full weight capacity of scale. Super sensitive and not bothered by lite air movement. I am very pleased with this scale. Oh, lifetime guarantee. :D

I bought it from www.jewelrytv.com It is listed as "scale18. Tho the description is a bit lacking (for a full description go to the MyWeigh website (www.myweigh.com) The Gem Pro 500 is listed under "pocket scales." It also has a price on the website of $180 plus shipping. The scale from Jewelry TV comes in a factory box, everything new. I had my doubts before I ordered it and called. I was told that everything was new in box and that Jewelry TV deals directly with My Weigh to get a low price. I chatted the girl up and she "hinted" that they are making something like $20 on each scale. Sort of like a loss leader. The scale weighs in six different modes and has an adjustable shutoff time. The scale can also be used with 4 AAA batteries.

I bought it from www.jewelrytv.com It is listed as "scale18. Tho the description is a bit lacking (for a full description go to the MyWeigh website (www.myweigh.com) The Gem Pro 500 is listed under "pocket scales." It also has a price on the website of $180 plus shipping. The scale from Jewelry TV comes in a factory box, everything new. I had my doubts before I ordered it and called. I was told that everything was new in box and that Jewelry TV deals directly with My Weigh to get a low price. I chatted the girl up and she "hinted" that they are making something like $20 on each scale. Sort of like a loss leader. The scale weighs in six different modes and has an adjustable shutoff time. The scale can also be used with 4 AAA batteries.