Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scared Of Going To A 12 Pound Recoil Spring

Jasonub

Hi fellow shooters or is it shootists :P

I always hear that in standards the lower the spring weight the better it is. I am currently using a svi 40 cal limited and its such a beautiful gun.

Im using a 15 pound spring on it but would like to put a 12 pound recoil spring to make my shooting better. I get splits ranging from .23 to .26 from 7 to 15 yards. I dont see my sights if I want to get a .16 which is a sin in our sport.

My question is will my gun break using a 12 instead of a 15 pound recoil spring? does anyone have experience on this? Whats the estimated round count before it breaks. I am planning to put a comminoli frame saver on it. will this help?

help!!!

Jasonub,

The framesaver is a very good idea, you can gauge the beating your gun is dishing out fairly well by observing the deterioration of the buffers. It also does what it's name implies.

No experience with your exact setup, but nice split times...

Travis F.

I used 12# springs in my heavy-slide Limited guns before I switched them to RecoilMasters. I broke a lot of sights, but nothing else. :) Switched back to steel guide rods and 12# springs for one match and broke two sights.

A 12# is pretty light for a standard slide. If you are using 15# and your gun functions, why change? Because you heard lighter springs are better and you think you might shoot better? You'll never know until you try.

Don't know what your shooting experience is,,,,I'm not assuming anything,,,,

Remember,,,,you don't win on splits.....

Even .26 * 30 rounds = 7.8 seconds

Cut that down to .20's and you're only down to 6.0 seconds.

If improving your scores is what you're after,,,,you'll gain tons more time by looking elsewhere. The speed on your splits will come.

There is lots of great advice here,,,,,we're all pretty good about sharing pointers etc. At your local matches,,,,watch the studs closely,,,what how they approach the stages,,,,where to they shoot fast,,,slow,,,,where do they shoot moving, where do they make mag changes.....watch for technique,,,,eliminate all uneeded movements........

If there is any specific technique questions,,,fire away.

H4444

Benny supplied this gun with ISMI's 12.5# recoil spring and everything's worked great. The are, however, a couple things that make me want to go with an even lighter spring.

1) The CP shock buff looks new, yet has about 1000rds through it.

2) Less spring force = less sight movement

3) My thumb(s) ride the slide (slow it down?)

4) A few of the top-dogs in this area use 8-9# springs in Limited.40!

Seeing how the buff looks good with the 12.5#, I should be safe with the 11# ISMI yes?

I haven't fired the gun with the 11#, so we'll see if I even like 'em.

I probably won't even notice a difference..... ;)

15.jpg

ismi are they better than wolff? Ive been using wolff for years what are the advantages? And when do you replace springs? I replace them every 5000. should I go less than that?

Thanks

IMO, ISMI are better than Wolf. 'Course, I'm a Glock shooter, so IMSI recoil springs are much better than Wolf in my gun. Try both, find the one that works best. 5000 rounds may be a bit early to replace them, most can run up 10,000 to 15,000 with no problems. I replace my recoil spring at the start of every year.

TDean, I'm a semi-reformed thumb-dragger and I think a lighter spring makes me more likely to stall the slide.

Hmmm...ya I guess that would be a problem on the fwd stroke.

Didn't think that far. <_<

TDean, I'm a semi-reformed thumb-dragger and I think a lighter spring makes me more likely to stall the slide.

Why not just goop up your thumb(s) w/ SG Lite?

:P

Why not just goop up your thumb(s) w/ SG Lite?

:P

pro grip on palms + slide glide on thumbs = mag dropped on foot, or in dirt :huh:

Jason,

If you are using a shok-buff, then you can check it to see if it gets ripped apart. Go too low on the spring rate and the buff will get chewed up quick.

That being said...I think you can get better than .26 splits with your current setup.

You can get .15-.17 splits @ 7 with a 15lb spring if you practice. This is what my gunsmith told me to do to determine what spring to use in any particular setup.

Take a target @3 yards aim the 1st shot and double tap. If the 2nd shot is high, put in a heavier spring. If it is low put in a lighter spring. It is pretty simple, but I like the results.

Having the gun return as fast as possible to the same spot makes more sense to me than how high it jumps, since you usually only see it leave and return. Having it return to the 1st spot I aimed is cool.

cool! Ill try the 3 yard test in the weekend after the match that Ill shoot in.

I asked the range here if the markers in the wall indicating distance is in meters or yards. They said meters so its .26 at 15 meters not yards. (dont know if that matters or not) :D

where do I get ismi? are they supposed to last longer or better than wolff? why? thanks

What' s your mainspring weight? Not an SV but my SS 1911 "felt better" when I dropped down my MS from 17# to 15# (recoil spring at 14#). But you have to check for reliable ignition though. ;) You going to the all-steel in MPSAI this weekend?

I use nothing but ISMI, Benny Hill say's their the best and I trust his word more than anyone. I use a 12.5 recoil spring with a stainless guide-rod and a Wilson Shock Buff. I go at least 6-8 months (roughly 15000 rounds) between recoil spring changes. Brownells has every weight of ISMI recoil springs, so you might want to get several different strengths and try each one to see which works best. I agree partly with what Loves2Shoot said about picking a recoil spring to match your shooting style, but splits don't mean nothing if you have any accuracy back it up, be more concerned with accuracy rather than speed. Happy Shooting.

mcoliver theres a all steel match in the philippines this weekend? Ill be shooting at arrescom in fort bonifacio. a level 1 match I think

rufus yuour right splits are nothing if you dont get a second alpha. Im at a level which alphas are of no problem if i do my thing. I just want to know if it will speed me up even a little :D

Yeah, there is one in Malabon. Then there's also a rifle competition in Armscor.

Anyway, back to the thread. I'm sure you know Lyndon Biraogo? Last Bolo Cup (he won Standard Div, btw) I manage to check some of his times and splits; times are relatively faster yet splits hover around .22-.30. Previous posts are right, there's more to just getting blazing splts. Yours aren't too bad as they are now. ;)

cool mcoliver, can you give my your text number? you seem to know the match schedules here. I want to be active in shooting again and would like to shoot all the matches i can.

I know Lyndon, we practiced once with Guermit Jose a long time ago. He taught me one thing, to move my head in the right shooting position to improve my draw. That lesson cost me to drop my 7 yard draw from a second to less than a second.

At that time he was using an open gun. I missed the bolo cup since I had a problem with my pistol. Now there are no excuses not to shoot :D