Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to the EAA World

CHA-LEE

I have been researching pistols for Limited class for quite a while now and narrowed it down to getting an EAA Witness Limited. Even though 95% of the limited shooters here in Colorado use a 1911 based pistol (Mostly STI's and SVI's) I didn't want to jump on the band wagon just because everyone else is using them. In all of the research that I have done it was really hard for me to find any negative feedback on the EAA pistols. This to me meant a lot because there are usually a handful of angry owners that are more than willing to drag XYZ pistol through the mud for whatever reason. I also really liked the fact that Henning Wallgren is here in Colorado so help or parts is no more than a short drive away, verses having to ship the pistol out or wait for parts to get shipped. I got the EAA Witness Limited pistol earlier this week and gave it a shake down run at the local indoor range. Right out of the box it shoots really nice and makes my fully tuned up Springfield XDm-40 feel like a toy.

I made it up to Henning’s place today after work for some more goodies to get it all tuned up for competition. If you guys have never met Henning in person you are missing out. He is a really great guy and helped me out answering all of my questions with a smile. I got a bunch of goodies from him for the pistol and am eager to get the pistol ready to rumble for competition. I still need a couple more items (holster and belt) to complete the package, but I have enough stuff to keep me busy for a while with fitting, polishing, tuning and testing. My goal is go get it up and running within the next couple of weeks so I can give it a go at a local match.

I have been reading though this forum and have been taking note of all the suggestions so I should be good to go until I run into an undocumented challenge. Thanks in advance to all of the guys that have posted up the good information in the forum. It is a very nice resource of information. I am sure I will have some questions though as time goes along, but I am sure you guys will be more than willing to help out when needed.

New EAA Witness Limited shooter coming to a match near you soon :)

Edited by CHA-LEE

I am excited to get this pistol all tuned up and ready for competition. I did some minor fitting and polishing last night and it is already starting to feel better than it did initally. What is the recomended Slid Glide weight to be used on it? I have some Lite and Standard Slide Glide already. I was going to start with the Standard and see how that works first.

I've got a Tanfo I should get fired up myself.I picked it up for a song a while back.I'm not really sure what I have though.It's a small frame .40 with a Bomar style adjustable sight.Its single action,with a straight adjustable trigger,and extended safety.It looks like it was somebody's open gun at one time,as it has a Storm Lake threaded barrel with glued on comp and optics holes drilled.I was thinking about having the barrel cut back to ditch the comp and just shoot it L-10.It seems like the fire control parts need more fitting and adjustment too.I've just been having so much fun shooting my Glock that I haven't messed with it.Winter is coming though,so maybe I'll have some time to sort it out.-Mike

I'm with you, I just did the same the other day.

Back in the early 90s I owned a 9mm Witness that I really liked, but since I wasn't doing anything with it but informal target shooting and occasional carry, I couldn't justify the "great big gun with little bullets" (even if there were a lot of them).

Lately I've been thinking back to what a sweet shooter it was, so the other day I committed to a Limited myself. (now to quickly move some unused stuff to pay for it! :blush: ) And of course now I'm pricing mags and new holders and holsters and thinking... 'what the heck did you do!?" :roflol:

I got the EGW Sear and Hammer installed and fitted. It took about 8 hours of fiddling to get the trigger pull, reset and safety the way I wanted it but now the trigger feels a lot better than stock. The trigger travel is a lot shorter and further back in the pull than the stock setup. I took it to the local indoor range and ran about 200 rounds through it and it worked flawlessly which was really nice. Since this was my first trigger job I was somewhat expecting some kind of strange failure mode when I sent some rounds down the pipe. But I guess taking my time and extensively testing the action after making minor changes to sneak up on the trigger job paid off. At least now I could probably remove and replace the sear and hammer assemblies blindfolded given how many times I have taken it out and put it back in during the trigger job. B)

I got the EGW Sear and Hammer installed and fitted. It took about 8 hours of fiddling to get the trigger pull, reset and safety the way I wanted it but now the trigger feels a lot better than stock. The trigger travel is a lot shorter and further back in the pull than the stock setup. I took it to the local indoor range and ran about 200 rounds through it and it worked flawlessly which was really nice. Since this was my first trigger job I was somewhat expecting some kind of strange failure mode when I sent some rounds down the pipe. But I guess taking my time and extensively testing the action after making minor changes to sneak up on the trigger job paid off. At least now I could probably remove and replace the sear and hammer assemblies blindfolded given how many times I have taken it out and put it back in during the trigger job. B)

Grauffel just fitted the sear and didn't change the hammer! he said it is FANTASTIC!

Grauffel just fitted the sear and didn't change the hammer! he said it is FANTASTIC!

Actually, Eric is using the EGW hammer and sear now. I handled his gun extensively last week, as we were discussing trigger set-ups and various tuning issues and so forth at the Ontario Provincials.

However; my guns are both set up with EGW sears and stock hammers, and I would say that fantastic is an accurate description. A stock sear can be fitted pretty well if you are lucky enough to get one that is hardened deep enough to take some stoning, but this isn't usually the case. Eric has the option of cherry picking his components so he can find the gems. For the price though, EGW is definitely the way to go and they make extremely high quality parts.

Henning mentioned that the stock hammer and sear were not hardened all the way through and if I were to modify them I would have to reharden them or they would wear out quickly. That is why I just went with the EGW hammer and sear to start off with. Its the same hardness all the way through.

Next on the list of things to do is to get a custom grip built up so I can get more of my weak hands palm against the frame. I will dive into that tonight. After that the only thing left is to build up the mag release a little so I can reach it without having to shift my strong hand to do it.

Yep. I have seen a couple of Tanfoglio's go full auto during a match when the modified sear or hammer went....

ANy reason the Tanfoglio Custom Shop couldn't use properly through hardened parts on their guns? They are custom, after all, right?

Mick

Henning mentioned that the stock hammer and sear were not hardened all the way through and if I were to modify them I would have to reharden them or they would wear out quickly. That is why I just went with the EGW hammer and sear to start off with. Its the same hardness all the way through.

Next on the list of things to do is to get a custom grip built up so I can get more of my weak hands palm against the frame. I will dive into that tonight. After that the only thing left is to build up the mag release a little so I can reach it without having to shift my strong hand to do it.