Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Partial Seated Primers

TheNordwand

Safest way is to pull the bullet and ditch the powder, then reseat the primer, put the powder back in a reseat the bullet.

Doing it with powder and bullet in place can be done but there is a risk; It's the sort of thing that will only happen once in your life, but then only because it will scare the living daylights out of you so much that you never, ever, ever want to risk it again.

I remember a thread about this from a while back and Guy Neil recommended to not use a "hammer" bullet puller on rounds with unseated primers. Something about it occasionally pops the primer off because it isn't seated all the way...

Going from my fuzzy old memory here...

If I remember correctly....Guy said NOT to reseat a primer on a live round, due to powder possible finding its way into the primer pocket and causing more of an interference fit than the live primer wants when seating......

My vote is pull the bullet and powder, then reseat if you need to.....FWIW.... :)

Be safe,

DougC

What you have here is a great training aid. If they will function in your guns, mix them in with your training ammo. You will soon see how you are doing on that flinch :rolleyes: This can also get you some malfunction drill practice! If they don't feed, well then welcome them to the more annoying side of reloading...

Later,

Chuck

Great input. Thank you. We've a XL 650. We've pulled the bullets and dumped the powder. How do you reseat them with the press? How do you manage the primers being fed from underneath? Can the feeder be stopped or do I need to cycle until it is empty of primers?

Thanks

Nordwand

Set them aside till the next loading session and when the primer low buzzer goes off, do 11 more pulls and start hand feeding the cases into station 2.

Later,

Chuck

I also have a 650 and what I will do is just remove the primer that is in the station and slide the case in (after the bullet has been pulled) and seat the primer. No need to cycle the handle and bring up new primers or to clear the system it is a little slower this way but not so bad.