Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production Legal Guide rod and spring for G34

Rob D

Hi all. I've been reading a lot, but this is my first time posting on the forum. That being said, if the information I'm looking for is already posted somewhere, please point me that way. I've searched but haven't found it.

I'm shooting a glock 34 in production division, and am thinking about replacing the guide rod and recoil spring. Does anybody know of a good combination that wont push my weight up over the "2oz over listed weight" limit. So far my gun has only been modified by the addition of:

Warren Tactical Sights

Trugrip

Ghost "Rocket" 3.5# Trigger Connector

I would also love to get rid of the slack-up stage in my trigger, but from what I understand you can't do that and still be legal for production. Thanks in advance for your help!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. I've been reading a lot, but this is my first time posting on the forum. That being said, if the information I'm looking for is already posted somewhere, please point me that way. I've searched but haven't found it.

I'm shooting a glock 34 in production division, and am thinking about replacing the guide rod and recoil spring. Does anybody know of a good combination that wont push my weight up over the "2oz over listed weight" limit.

I would also love to get rid of the slack-up stage in my trigger, but from what I understand you can't do that and still be legal for production. Thanks in advance for your help!

With similar mods my G34 is within weight with a stainless steel guide rod and ISMI spring, according to my postal scale. A tungsten or tungsten extended length pushes it over.

As far as the trigger, a Vanek drop-in production trigger should tighten the take up.

Curtis

sounds like I'll be fine as long as I avoid the stuff that's made specifically to be heavy. Is there any advantage to going with steal over an aftermarket polymer rod aside from the slight weight?

I have heard that the polymer guide rods are prone to breaking- but that has not been my experience- at least in 9mm. I switch out my springs and guide rods at around 10-15,000 rds and have never had one break. I did have a buddy break a guide rod in his GLOCK 35. He finished the match with no ill effects.

I'm shooting a glock 34 in production division, and am thinking about replacing the guide rod and recoil spring. Does anybody know of a good combination that wont push my weight up over the "2oz over listed weight" limit. So far my gun has only been modified by the addition of:

Warren Tactical Sights

Trugrip

Has nothing to do with the post but love the Hogan's Alley avatar.....that brought back memories of the old nintendo with the gun attachment playing hogans alley and duck hunter, LOL, ah the good ol days.....

Warren Tactical Sights

Trugrip

Has nothing to do with the post but love the Hogan's Alley avatar.....that brought back memories of the old nintendo with the gun attachment playing hogans alley and duck hunter, LOL, ah the good ol days.....

Ha ha, thanks. I really want to take an old NES zapper and put a C-more with a stainless mount on it, and maybe a mag well and some grip tape, then take a picture of THAT for my avatar. I think it would be hilarious if I could put it all together.

With similar mods my G34 is within weight with a stainless steel guide rod and ISMI spring, according to my postal scale. A tungsten or tungsten extended length pushes it over.

I have a tungsten in mine and it passed the weight test at the Nats. I use the tungsten with a 12 LB Wolff spring.

Welcome to the forum!

Drift warming. Sorry, can't help myself.

Personally spent way to much time screwing around with a good gun. A Production G17.

Pretty much wasted a year swapping this for that.

To do it all over, it would be more like this.

G34/17

Sights, You're set there.

Grip tape. Ditto.

3.5# connector, Lone Wolf is excellent (you might want to lose the Ghost 'thingy' IMO)

.25 cent trigger job. The Q-Tip approach is a joke on us. Use a felt tip Dremel and Flitz polish.

Reduced power striker spring.

Extra power trigger return spring.

Later, or when you want, a Vanek drop in Production trigger group. Nice!

The biggest honkin' pile of ammo ever. :cheers:

Jim

Please read this post as it does not appear a trigger change is included as a legal replacement item.

Trigger replacement is legal as long as it does not modify the external appearance (aka factory or factory spec'd parts) or disable any safties. It's about that simple. The "Classic" Vanek trigger does not modify the trigger pivot point which his higher end models do and that is what created all the hoopla and the original e-mail from Mr. Amidon everyone seems to reference. You can do some WAY extensive work internally and be legal (pretravel & overtravel stop, etc..). You should see what's done for an XD trigger... it's quite a bit of work!

Please read this post as it does not appear a trigger change is included as a legal replacement item.

Trigger replacement is legal as long as it does not modify the external appearance (aka factory or factory spec'd parts) or disable any safties. It's about that simple. The "Classic" Vanek trigger does not modify the trigger pivot point which his higher end models do and that is what created all the hoopla and the original e-mail from Mr. Amidon everyone seems to reference. You can do some WAY extensive work internally and be legal (pretravel & overtravel stop, etc..). You should see what's done for an XD trigger... it's quite a bit of work!

Josh. Drop a line to John Amidon and post his reply to you on this.

Welcome to the forum!

Drift warming. Sorry, can't help myself.

Personally spent way to much time screwing around with a good gun. A Production G17.

Pretty much wasted a year swapping this for that.

To do it all over, it would be more like this.

G34/17

Sights, You're set there.

Grip tape. Ditto.

3.5# connector, Lone Wolf is excellent (you might want to lose the Ghost 'thingy' IMO)

.25 cent trigger job. The Q-Tip approach is a joke on us. Use a felt tip Dremel and Flitz polish.

Reduced power striker spring.

Extra power trigger return spring.

Later, or when you want, a Vanek drop in Production trigger group. Nice!

The biggest honkin' pile of ammo ever. :cheers:

Jim

Sounds like a plan. So far I've liked my ghost trigger connector, but I've only compared it to the factory 3.5# that came in the gun. I've heard good things about the ghost because it has the built in over-travel stop, but I may need to try some others.

Josh. Drop a line to John Amidon and post his reply to you on this.

Reply from Mr. Vanek who I must say responds incredibly quick to e-mails. He's getting my business as soon as I start setting up my G34. Still waiting on Mr. Amidon.

Hello Josh,

That ruling has to do the "Ultimate Trigger". The Ultimate Trigger is not a drop-in trigger and the compete gun has to be sent to me for the work.

The Classic Drop-In Trigger does not have the pivot point moved or any holes filled in and the trigger safety is not shaved or trimmed and it does not have a external speed bump.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie

So that thread states that trigger connector swaps are illegal?

Reply from Mr. Vanek who I must say responds incredibly quick to e-mails. He's getting my business as soon as I start setting up my G34. Still waiting on Mr. Amidon.

Hello Josh,

That ruling has to do the "Ultimate Trigger". The Ultimate Trigger is not a drop-in trigger and the compete gun has to be sent to me for the work.

The Classic Drop-In Trigger does not have the pivot point moved or any holes filled in and the trigger safety is not shaved or trimmed and it does not have a external speed bump.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie

And Mr. Vanek is manufacturing trigger kits that have been approved as "Production" legal.

Sounds like we're getting mixed responses. If trigger connector swaps are illegal, then I think about 2/3 of people shooting glocks are breaking the rules. I've always heard connector swaps are ok as they fall under the "exchange of minor components" rule, but that trigger jobs that involve moving the trigger on the bar or putting in overtravel/pretravel stops with set screws are illegal. Now I'm starting to wonder.

Rest assured. The Vanek Production drop-in is legal. It has been poured over how many times here? It's a slicked up Glock trigger with no external modification. Done. Production legal. Holy Mary!!

:cheers:

Jim

I think this thread, and the other on mods is focused on the commentary provided that installing aftermarket connectors is not "appropriate/kosher". So a drop in trigger kit with an aftermarket or modified connector may now be considered "inappropriate".

Clarity is being asked for.

Polishing a stock connector is kosher, and many aftermarket kits (but not all) provide just that - a OFM connector and/or trigger bar that has been only slicked up w/o other changes. Those should be OK.

A truly aftermarket part, like the Ghost, may not. A OFM part that has been modified (drilled, pivot points altered, milled) may not.

My commentary in this post and in the Production Legal Internal Mods deals with the wording of the rule that lists which parts are legal to change.

Appendix D4, Item 21 (Strictly limited to THESE (my emphasis) items and their stated guidelines) Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties, slide stops, guide rods).

Based on that wording then I could change the trigger spring or stricker spring in a Glock because they meet the word spring. Nowhere in that rule do I see the word connector or trigger so living strictly by the wording of the rule they are illegal to change. What I am advocating is that the rule be changed to add the phrase (e.g.) meaning that is or (i.e.) meaning for example and etc.