Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some small parts I made...

PappaJ

Not sure if this is the right spot for these, but I made a couple of small parts for a customer's SC 1911. The pics aren't the best, but it's a slide racker that I turned out of a piece of 8620 .700 diameter and a rheostat adjustment knob, turned out of aluminum and left 'raw', for the C-More Serendipity that I mounted on the blaster too. The adjustment knob is drilled and tapped (4-40) with a set screw and the racker has 2 (6-32) set screws. Finished it off with some KG Gun-Kote (semi-gloss black frame, titanium accents, and the original chrome slide). Did a trigger job on it, 3.5 lbs crisp and consistent. Just thought I'd share some of the photos.

100_2077.jpg

100_2075.jpg

100_2071.jpg

100_2070.jpg

Feel free to coment (or critique). The machining marks were filed and stoned out of the racker before I painted it, but I didn't take any pics of it then.

Thanks.... Joe

That's some nice work Joe. It's great to be able to make your own parts!

That racker looks like it will hurt my fingers?? I like rackers that are smooooth!!

Great project!

The knurling isn't as aggressive as it looks, just a good solid grip without shredding your finger.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Joe

Is the guy a lefty? Reason I ask is, with my grip, it seems like it would contact the racker.

I know, I shoot high thumb too, but his grip is different so there is no problem for him. I know if I shot it my right thumb would be splattered. But he liked the way it set out.

Looks good, but a bit like a cheese grater for your thumb!

After a couple of shots I wouldn't have to worry about my thumb being in the way, it would be gone. But like I said the owner likes it and it fits his grip style. If it were on my gun it think I would end up 'tweaking' it up a bit.

I keep thinking "mini meat tenderizer", but it really isn't that bad. It took me a couple of 'prototypes' to get it right, but I think it turned out to meet the customer's expectations. He was pretty stoked about it.

Thanks again,

Joe

Nice work, however, isn't that knob too tall and getting within the lens viewing area?

PS: With that much knurling on the slide racker, you may want to heat it up and bend it up a little. .....I've had straight rackers like that graze the top of my thumb. Yours would take some skin off if it did that.

Edited by ExtremeShot

Nice work, however, isn't that knob too tall and getting within the lens viewing area?

The knob is visible in the sight plane of the C-More, not too intrusive but maybe a 16th of an inch or so. It actually serves a purpose for the shooter by giving a faster sight acquisition. When the top of the knob is flat then the dot is in the lens. I've never shot an open gun before and I do believe this is the customers first open gun as well. It might be an annoyance to some, but again the owner likes it.

Thanks for all the input, I like to have other people share their thoughts and ideas on things I do.

Joe

the c-more knob looks great, but does it stick up to high in the line of sight?

lynn

Lynn -- Thanks. The knob is in the line of sight (barely), it really doesn't obscure the sight picture at all. I should have taken a picture of it while holding a sight picture.

Wow,

I really didn't think I would get such a response to a couple of little parts! Thanks for all the encouragement. I had a couple of requests to make some more C-More knobs, so I spent a little time in the shop last night and turned a couple out. I made one for JimInFL for his 'click' style knob. It's still raw aluminum, I'm gonna Gun-Kote it satin black to match the factory knob. Just thought I'd share a couple of pic's. I put it on my CMore that I have mounted on my S&W Model 13 just for reference.

100_2109.jpg

100_2111.jpg

100_2122.jpg

100_2126.jpg

Thanks again,

Joe

ETA: My photo skill really have room for improvement... so does my shooting but it works I guess. Sorry about the pics.

I also just noticed that I put the knob on upside down. There is a little bevel on the 'top' side of the knurling (for asthetics), wow, I guess I really need to pay more attention.

Edited by PappaJ

The only problem I can see, Joe is now you gotta bring up the level of the gun they're on to match those parts you made. Great work on items that so often are an afterthought.

Yep, if you can make those cool little parts you can serrate the back of the slide and extractor. We know you have the skills!

FM

The only problem I can see, Joe is now you gotta bring up the level of the gun they're on to match those parts you made. Great work on items that so often are an afterthought.

Yep, if you can make those cool little parts you can serrate the back of the slide and extractor. We know you have the skills!

FM

Actually going to be doing that on a Caspian build I'm getting started on now. That and I gotta come up with some seriously cool stuff to do on my Springer (and still keep it Single Stack leagal). Thanks again for all the input.

Joe

ETA: Thanks for the confidence. I think I'm gonna have to start posting more of my 'custom' stuff on here. I thrive on feedback (positive or negative). It helps me become better at what I do.

Edited by PappaJ

FM

Don't be messing with my slide !

I know it was killing PappaJ not to mess with it, but that slide holds a certain sentimental value so I can't allow it to be molested. :ph34r:

My thumb wasn't even close to the racker, and so far hasn't been bitten. But I've come to think it will only take one sloppy draw to really put a hurting on me so I will be having PappaJ bend this sucker up and out of the way to be sure.

The knob is perfect and sits just about level with the bottom of the glass, but his newer version looks to be a big improvement and I am a little jealous now.. :roflol:

FM

Don't be messing with my slide !

I know it was killing PappaJ not to mess with it, but that slide holds a certain sentimental value so I can't allow it to be molested. :ph34r:

My thumb wasn't even close to the racker, and so far hasn't been bitten. But I've come to think it will only take one sloppy draw to really put a hurting on me so I will be having PappaJ bend this sucker up and out of the way to be sure.

The knob is perfect and sits just about level with the bottom of the glass, but his newer version looks to be a big improvement and I am a little jealous now.. :roflol:

Vagus -- Bring it on up and we'll tweat that bad boy up a bit. Re-paint it, toss her in the easy bake oven and you'll be GTG!! After more pics of course. ;)

That new knob on the 'clicker' is awesome!! It's so much faster and easier to manipulate, I'm gonna have to make one for myself. Maybe I can spin one out before you come up so you can check it out.

Thanks again everyone.

Joe