Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Iron Sights

GIO

I have the Troy rear site on my M4-gery...I believe they are the lowest made, which is what I was after. They are also the most expensive. Rock solid...I like it.

The MI's look pretty good, at a much more reasonable price, but I have no first hand experience with them.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Iron-Sights-s/8.htm

Edited by HiCapMag

I really like the YHM detachable rear, it comes with 1/2moa clicks, for both elev. and wind. the only thing I don't care for is that cannot be set up as far to the rear as the DPMS sight, unless you file an extra groove into your upper. i've used the DPMS and the YHM, and like them both, neither has come loose on me although I have a friend that had that problem with the DPMS, then he loctited it in place. My front is thinned to .035 and mounted on the muzzle.

Trapr

I use a DPMS detachable rear with the standard aperature and a standard front sight post mounted right behind the comp, it has the 0.050 front post.

The only complaint with the DPMS is that it only has 11 clicks of vertical adjustment. So at 600 yds. I have to hold just over the top edge of a IPSC sized steel silhouette to hit it.

It has never loosened up on me.

Edited by Big Bore

I run a same plane rear aperture (custom) on an LMT rear sight and a JP front sight with their skinny front post (.035 I think). It is a globe front sight. I like the globe because I use it as a huge front sight on the close targets.

This is what I can remember of the best iron sight shooters (and they are free to correct me):

Bruce Piatt: DPMS rear sight and fiber optic front sight (unknown mfg but it is skinny)

Kurt Miller: unknown rear sight and skinny front sight (.040 Kurt ??)

Robbie Johnson: DMPS rear sight raised on a custom mount and a custom skinny fiber optic front

Trapr: I can't remember!! Except it's an extended front sight.

The biggest debate is about the use of the fiber optic front sight. Kurt and I are not sold on it. Bruce and Robbie are.

All the good iron sight shooters run as much sight radius as they can get. Everyone has a front sight just behind the comp. Everyone runs a front sight much skinnier than a factory front sight.

None of the winners use crosshair front sights or even aperture front sights (which I think might have some utility).

Why draq me in on this Kelly? Last time I saw you you were ridding me about the Meopta. For the record, Olympic Arms rear sight...which looks like a DPMS, so I guess someone makes them for both, and a JP front sight with a .040 front post. NICE!!! KurtM

Anyone got a link to the front sight that you're mounting out just behind the muzzle? I haven't found anything like that, other than a flip-up YHM that clamps on. Seems like that could be prone to getting knocked around though? Are you guys getting the front sight pinned into the barrel?

The best iron sights reside on the "Big Stick" M-14.

But what would I know I am not among the "best iron sight shooters"

Damn keyboard made me do it!

Patrick

They're better on an Garand.....longer sight radius :D

This may be what Kurt was talking about. Scroll down a bit.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.4.php

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Patrick

Pat, you can be one of the best iron sight shooters too! :cheers:

I dispute your contention that the best iron sights are on the M14 however. The M14 has a great set of sights but I don't think they are as versatile as the M16 sight with an extended front sight. The M16 gives you the choice of 2 apertures.

Patrick

Pat, you can be one of the best iron sight shooters too! :cheers:

I dispute your contention that the best iron sights are on the M14 however. The M14 has a great set of sights but I don't think they are as versatile as the M16 sight with an extended front sight. The M16 gives you the choice of 2 apertures.

Thanks Kelly. When I grow up I wanna be just like you! :)

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

No, I wasn't talking about a second gas block with a flip up sight. J.P. makes a great A2 style front sight that clamps around the barrel with two screws. It also has an adjustable gas port, except I just put it at the end of the barrel, no gas port.

Pat, Kelly is just plain delusional!!! The M1/M14 sights ARE the very best iron sights made!!!! NOTHING on ANY AR comes close....but hey you Hoppy and I knew that! KurtM

I've used the gas block with attached front sight route and much prefer the entire unit being one piece, like the armalite and JP unit. The only thing I can see that would make M1a sights better would be lower bore axis and finer adjustment, but the actual sights themselves the aperture and post seem very similar to the AR varieties. :surprise:

as for the DPMS rear sight, I've not had any problems with mine and I've got 3, but I really don't adjust it constantly to compensate for different ranges and such, nor do I take it on and off the gun. I've replaced the aperture with an A1 aperture so that I can have 2 zero's with a simple flip of the sight.

Trapr

I had DPMS take a standard A2 front sight/gas block and cut holes to match the standard contour of their barrels. Otherwise the .750 holes are too big to fit the end of the barrel. I guess you could shim it but I think DPMS made a small batch of the custom sized A2 sights. You'd have to call the factory to find out. I then drilled and tapped two set screw from the bottom. One thru the material where the bayonet lug is and the other in the rear band where the sling is attached.

To make it easier attaching, do not remove the normal front sight. Put the new sight on, look thru the sights to line up the new housing and tighten the set screws. Then you need to remove it, dimple the barrel with a drill so the set screws really have a hold on the barrel. Remove the standard sight, locktite the new one on, and you're pretty close to being sighted in.

I don't know how to post pictures here but you can see my set up here. http://www.brucepiatt.com/images/Web%20CMM...rone%20full.jpg

FYI, my front sight is .050 wide and is a "sightlink" made by Mounting Solutions. The model is "Ultra-Match". Available thru Brownells. The fiber optic really helps me. I prefer a 6 o'clock hold when shooting steel. When I shot the R&R Racing targets with the front protection plate painted black, and the white target plate all shot up, I couldn't tell what was sight and what was the black plate. Now I kind of make a figure 8 out of the plate and the fiber optic. When you're shooting up close, the fiber optic is like shooting a dot sight.

Edited by BPiatt

Does JP still make that sight?

I can only see the one that mounts on the gas block.

That's where I'm confused too. I'm not seeing anything on their site as described. Didn't see anything on Armalite's site either. If someone has a product link, please share! About the closest thing I can find is this Yankee Hill. Is that what ya'll mean? Any problems with a sight that clamps on like this getting knocked around and losing your zero?

Thanks,

Mike