Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Price Gouging

dajarrel

Alright, we have a hurricane in the gulf now. I might expect gas prices to increase a cent or two. As a matter of fact, the national enquirer....er I mean major news networks all reported that the price of gas had increase by one cent over the last week.

They haven't been in or around Mobile, Alabama. Thursday, while Gus was still as tropical storm in the Caribbean, I decided to fill up with gas and set a few gallons back for the generator for the remaining of hurricane season. I filled up everything on the way to work ar 5:00am for $3.51. When I came home from work at 4:30 that afternoon, the same station was selling for 3.69.

I can see nothing that justifies an eighteen cent/gal increase in 8-10 hours other than pure greed.

The kicker is that it isn't considered gouging until a "state of emergency" is declared.

Mad in Mobile

dj

When refinery gas prices are going up, or expected to go up, retail outlets raise their price because they say they need to charge enough to cover the increased costs for replacing their current stock.

When refinery gas prices are going down, or expected to go down, retail outlets don't lower their price because they say they need to charge enough to pay for their current stock.

But why do we continue to let this happen?

<on soapbox>

Supply and demand as the major factor in prices is largely a myth which mainly exists because it benefits those who own the supply. This does not mean that it is always a myth, but even the Saudi's said that the price of oil was way out of line earlier this year.

What is closer to the truth is that prices are dictated by what the market will tolerate. In the case of oil and gas, even if the supply exceeded the demand, the price would remain high as long as people are willing to pay that price.

<off soapbox>

Had to travel up to Decatur/Huntsville, AL Thursday and at 11am regular was 3.37 per gal and then at 3pm they had raised it to 3.55.....18 cents in less then 4 hours.........Easy to see how BP made 9.4 BILLION 2nd Qtr....

Second quarter 2008

in Millions

9,465 Profit for the period(B)

Edited by DrawandDuck

2 gas stations across the street from each other on Friday...1 penny difference in the A.M, 6 hours later, 19 cents higher at one station, but not the other? WTF?!

3 days later now,and the station that jacked up their prices on Friday afternoon dropped them back to where they were at on Friday AM. Pure asshattery.

:angry2: Where the h--- is our Gvt. on this gas issue?

Hope not to offend any one with this comment? But I

bet I do. Any way I still think there is more they can do

about gas prices! Hay- let's have the major co's that

produce it "MAKE LESS MONEY" :roflol::cheers:

2 gas stations across the street from each other on Friday...1 penny difference in the A.M, 6 hours later, 19 cents higher at one station, but not the other? WTF?!

3 days later now,and the station that jacked up their prices on Friday afternoon dropped them back to where they were at on Friday AM. Pure asshattery.

What?? The free market worked? That's crazy talk. We need the government to step in.. after all, they got the price down from $4 a gallon to where it is now... right? right??

sorry... going political there. :wacko:

Sometimes it's a matter of perspective. I was happy to pay for Premium for the last gas station left with gas in town Saturday evening as Gustav rolled in. Got in from vacation in Colorado Saturday p.m. and was scrambling for last minute preps, including that final 5 gallon can of generator gas :cheers: before the town boarded up for good. I have never seen gas shortages of this sort in any past hurricane...probably due to the million plus who evacuated right through our area.

With the oil rigs evacuated in the Gulf and offshore and refinery operations shut down, get prepared for some more spikes, unfortunately.

Curtis

:ph34r: Due to price and MPG on my Tundra-20MPG- and the

distance to shoot at some of the ranges-longest trip is 260miles

round trip- and another at 180miles round trip, I have to cut

down on my matches per month. The short trip with approx.

9gals gas at $3.75=$33.75 and the $15.00 to shoot thats $48.75

To shoot the six stages approx. 2minutes of shooting plus the

Well you can see how things add up for us and everyone else.

If ya can't see them,you can't shoot them! DVC :rolleyes:

With prices going the way they are(uncomfortably high) maybe people are going to have to restructure the way they live and play. Gas used to be cheap so distance was no issue. Now gas/diesel is dear and distance matters. Over the long term I'm guessing the country will be structured much like Europe, around it's cities, and having lots of trains or whatever passes for mass transportation(a very unusual idea for most in the US). In the end, economics always wins out.

We need more ranges, and much closer to where we live.