Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel loads

earplug

I have been using 3.9 grains of Clays and a 230 grain bullet to make major for IPSC. It has hit me that I shoot a weekly steel shoot more then IPSC.

Will I gain much by going to a lighter bullet? For the weekly steel shoot?

Do others switch back and forth for different games? I'm shooting a five inch 625-8.

When I was shooting 625s I always had my USPSA load and my ICORE load. Yes they were quite different.

I would run light loads with 230 grain LRN and 3.2 grains of Bullseye for ICORE. Years ago I shot 265 grain bullets with about 2.8 grains of Bullseye. Recoil was nil but accuracy was fantastic with these loads Unfortunately the guy that made the 265 grain bullets died.

Much easier on the hands.

The biggest problem is that the point of impact will generally be different between the major loads and the steel loads. It's going to be a real pain to have to re-sight-in your gun every time you switch between the two.

If you can swing it, keep your 625 sighted in for major and set up a 627 for steel. It's nice having a couple extra rounds in the gun when you're running steel arrays anyway, right? :)

Edited by Carmoney

The biggest problem is that the point of impact will generally be different between the major loads and the steel loads. It's going to be a real pain to have to re-sight-in your gun every time you switch between the two.

If you can swing it, keep your 625 sighted in for major and set up a 627 for steel. It's nice having a couple extra rounds in the gun when you're running steel arrays anyway, right? :)

Can you shoot an 8 shot in revolver class or does that put you in open? I am fairly new to the steel challenge rules and would like to shoot the 627.

Greg

I don't know for sure, but there seems to be an awful lot of people that are using them.

The reason Carmoney mentioned is why I haven't bothered to cook up a different load for steel. A 627 is next on my purchase list, to eventually be set up for Open. Bob (S&W Iowegan) had to wipe the drool off of his Open 627 after I handled it!

The 627 option makes alot of sense. That explains why I got such a deal on my last 625 from a new 8 shot 627 owner.

But I get such good practice reloading on the steel matches on the six shot stages.

I use my revolvers for more than one discipline and thought very hard about different PF's and decided that I don't want to go to a match and grab the wrong ammo.

That decision was precipitated by a friend who I shot PPC with and had 3 loads. One for 7 and 15 yards, another for 25yds and yet another for 50yds. Guess what, he used the 7/15 ammo at 50. Gaming (and legal) and it back fired on him. He never did that again.

Now I doo have a light load for PPC but that's with the HBWC, so they are easy to pick out.

You could put a 185grain bullet on top of the same charge of powder and see how it shoots for you. I have used the Berrys 185gr Hollowbased Roundnose that looks like a230RN hollowed out. For steel it should be accurate enough, and you may have to put some more powder in it to shoot better....You see where I am going..... :D

Good luck,

DougC

I shoot a 625 5" in local central ia.practiacal shooters matches that i had

magnaported before I knew better. Works great but puts me in open

class anywhere else.I just had Mike Carmonize a 627 pro that i plan to

shoot open steel games like monthly Ankeny Ikes steel and of course

the yearly Big Dawg.That leaves another 625 5" left to purchase for

uspsa revolver.Then maybe a 627 pc 5" for a non open class revo for

steel. This revolver stuff is way cool.All it needs is more shooters.

I shoot the same load in all my .45 revolvers (at least the same PF) so no matter what I'm shooting they ALWAYS feel and handle the same. (KISS meathod).

The ONLY thing I do different is I load my 646 to 130,000 PF to shoot ICORE with. It is pretty snappy since I use 155 grn bullets, not as much "shoving" but the sight picture is pretty much the same.

but, look at my "signature" about opinions. :surprise:

Hop

When I was working up a load for my 625 for ICORE/Steel,I had my best results with a 200 SWC and a light charge of Clays,like around 3.5-3.7grs.Its a really nice load,good for Steel,not so good for quick reloads in ICORE.But,I'm so slow it doesn't really matter.A couple of other members of our local club use that Trail Boss in their 200 SWC 45ACP loads with good success.I guess I tried it,and thought it felt kind of funky(not enough recoil??).A 627 is a fine way to go for Steel too I think.Having a couple of spares might let you "hang it out there"a little more to go fast.-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Earplug, that bullet may or may not be accurate in your guns. It has a short bearing surface and if I remember correctly, needs to be going pretty fast to stabilze and shoot well. I would recommend using a mid range powder like W231 or the like and make some test loads and see what will group well.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

DougC