Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Track round count on your guns?

G-ManBart

I keep a wordpress blog and post after each time I practice, compete, and reload. At the bottom of each post where rounds were shot I list the gun(s) that was used, how many rounds were shot, and the running totals. I like this more than just a spreadsheet because I also post details about the event. Using my iPhone I take pictures of the targets I used for practice or if it was a match, pictures of the courses and add the match results as well. It allows me to track way more than just round count and I also tag each post with a category(s) and keywords so I can search easily and only see posts about my AR or M&P. It will also allow me to see a picture of any course I've shot and correlate it to my score in the results. I especially like it for my reloading data. I can go back and see all of the details about a batch of bullets and how they performed on the chrono.

/works for me

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a log for each firearm I own. I use the smaller size spiral notebooks. I track round count, ammo type, cleaning, spring changes, maintenance, modifications and range conditions if it's something out of the ordinary like extremely dusty or raining.

Rick

I voted yes. I count primer sleeves at the end of each year and then throw them away. I only load .45ACP for my L10 gun and shoot the various other .45s that I have very little in comparision. I change springs based on memory.

I keep up with rifle rounds by how much I purchase versus inventory on hand. Since I am not smart enough to practice with my shotgun, I just add up the round counts from the matches I take it to. :rolleyes:

Hurley

I voted no.

When I started shooting USPSA I could probably have told you to the closest 100 how many rounds had been through my guns. By the same token back then all of my guns were always obsessively and spotlessly clean.

All I could tell you now is that by round count of matches I go to I probably shoot on the order of 7-10k rounds a year through whatever pistol I am shooting that year. The gun gets detail inspected yearly and the springs get changed once a year whether they need it or not. Barrels get replaced when they won't make power factor anymore with a reasonable load.

Not saying its the right way just admitting where I am now...

Peter Adams

FY-39604

• 3 weeks later...

I track the round count on my guns in Excel. The trouble is, most were purchased used, so I have to rely on the previous owner's estimate to get started. I know how many I bring to the range and count what's left when I get home. I don't think too hard about rounds that might have gotten dropped at ULSC, etc. They just go into the count down the pipe. I also keep track of how many rounds I've loaded on the press and track the fuel economy on my car with every tank. I've got a pretty neat graph of what diesel prices have done in the past 5 years, based on my own purchases.

ETA: I've also got a spreadsheet on my match performances. My points/times compared to the stage winner for each stage. It lets me know when I'm shooting too slowly or too erratically. There's a space for comments that I jot down when I get home for later reflection.

Edited by splashdown

My new Kimber Ultra CDP II, 528 rounds. I know what I took to the range each time and what I brought home. Keeping score in my head. I'll lose track soon if I don't start writing it down.

My S&W Sigma, about 2K, +/-100. I've had it since just before Slick Willy's high-capacity magazine ban went into effect. Been keeping track in my head all these years. I know pretty close what I've shot. But I haven't been shooting a thousand rounds a month like some of you guys.

Being SLIGHTLY obsessive/ compulsive doesn't add up... but my rounds due :P

I can't help it... really. I write down ammo as I go through it at the range on a note pad. I transfer the numbers to an Excel sheet. I am not worried about every round, but try to get close if I can't.

I keep track of changes, mantainence and issues so I can determine if a specific gun or magazine is an issue. With as many... I mean few... guns that I have, I couldn't remember. It also allows me to weed out pistols that I do not shoot and decide whether to shoot them more or trade them off to make more room in the safe..

I know how many I bring to the range and count what's left when I get home. I don't think too hard about rounds that might have gotten dropped at ULSC, etc. They just go into the count down the pipe.

Same here. I drop it into a Word document along with weather conditions (more important for rifle than pistol), match information (or practice, testing, zero, evaluation, etc.), load used, and anything (everything?) else that might be pertinent.

It's helped me.