Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Track round count on your guns?

G-ManBart

Voted yes, but my count is only based on cases of bullets loaded/used. So, I can't say exactly, but can be within a few hundred rounds.

+1, just seems the easiest way on pistols.

Bolt action rifles, I know within 10

Semiauto rifles are just too hungry, I just can't count that fast. My best estimates would be within hundreds of the actual.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those obsesive compulsive types who counts things, all kinds of things.

I have a log book on the seat of my truck for practice notes and round counts, then the numbers go in an Excel sheet. I don't know why I do this, but I do. It does help with maint. though, and when experimenting with spring rates, component changes, etc.

My method isn't nano exact, but it's within one to two hundred. I box all my ammo, just count the empties when I get home. I don't count partials, just the empties. I keep a book and write down replacement parts, breakages, malfs, etc.

According to our classifed forum there are never any guns for sale that have more than 5,000 rounds through them. :devil:

I have bought a couple that were reputed to have well over 5,000 rounds.

A spreadsheet that has match results, round counts, etc. it includes matches, sighting in, chrono and the little bit of practice I am able to do.

Reloaded ammo goes in MTM boxes of 100. It's easy to look at them and see how many rounds were shot. I mark my brass and try to pick up any ULSC rounds that drop on the ground. My count will be a very small percentage high. Counting bullets or primers would not be as accurate for me. The same primers will work in my 38S, 40 or 9mm. When reloading if I get distracted and don't remember seeing the powder in the case, I put it in my "to be pulled bin" where it may sit for years until I get around to pulling bullets.

I voted "no".

I do keep a "reloading log" on an excel spreadsheet, that says when, and how many, and what recipe, and what purpose I've reloaded all the rounds I've reloaded. I just haven't bothered to add 'em all up to see what the grand total is.

If I did, it would get me a ballpark...but wouldn't include factory ammo fired in some of my guns.

DD

I goofed I thought I was on the Saiga 12 board, count backwards keeping track of 5 or 8 round Saiga mags is do-able but 30 round AR or AK mags not so much. I have a limit as to how many rounds I can keep track of 5 is pretty easy 8 is difficult 10 nope can't do it. My strategy is to drop the mag at convinet times, regardless if it is empty or not.

...particularly when it is a $2 part ;)

Isnt everything on a Glock a $2 part ? :huh:

:roflol::roflol:

The only thing I really worry about is keeping track to change springs out. I could come up with a pretty close count if I look at my bullet orders.

Flyin

I've tried to several times, but it usually only lasts the first six months or so. The only one I've succeded at keeping a good count on is my Frank White built match AR-15 upper, I think it's usefull to know exactly how many rounds have been through a match rifle barrel for replacment purposes. However it would be impossible to guestimate for example in the case of my Series 70 Goldcup wich I bought in 1987, and has more rounds through it than any gun I've ever owned. I've been thinking about it again since I just recieved a new SV Sight tracker, that only has about 600 rounds through it to date, mostly just because it was so expensive, but I don't feel it matters enough to be really precise, I started a little pocket notebook and just make a note each time I finish a box of bullets. If I get off by 50-100 rounds, it's no big deal, as long as I have a balpark figure as things need replacing, or if I decide to sell it before the round count gets too hi, but for now I plan on keeping and shooting this one for a long time, like I have my Goldcup, so I guess we'll see how well I manage to keep track.

I have no ideal how many rounds my guns have through them. Maybe I have too many guns (nope, never too many guns).

In my HP rifles, I change barrels when accrarcy starts to go. My hunting rifles I dont shoot enough to matter.

My pistols are a differant matter. I shoot mostly cast bullets. My main revolver is my Model 28 Smith that was my issue service revolver my dept gave me when I retired. Hard to shoot a N frame loose. Most of my other revolvers I dont shoot that much except for my 642 ccw gun, I try to go through a min of 200 rounds a week with it, but 98% of that is with light WC rounds. I'm not one who believes every round out of a pistol/revolver needs to be a full charge barn burner.

My Series 70 Gold Cup is another example, I got it in the late '70s, and have shot untold Bullseye matches. This has a lot of hard ball from when I shot for the NG, but mostly now I'm back to cast bullets. Yeah over time it shoots loose, but its easy to tighten up.

Lots of rounds through my Smith 52 WC gun, but again thats all mid range WCs, light lead bullets, not too hard on a gun. My other heavy use guns are 22 rfs, I doubt you can shoot out a 22.

I've found in my 30 + years of compition shooting (mostly HP Rifle) Guns are damaged more by improper cleaning procedures then shooting. The exception is K frame 357s, I've shoot two M19s and one M13 loose by too many full load 357s. I like the K frames but one needs to stick to 38s for practice and use the 357 for carry (like my 642, I like to shoot a few full loads so I dont forget how.

JMHO

Edited by kraigwy

According to our classifed forum there are never any guns for sale that have more than 5,000 rounds through them. :devil:

Yes, this is precisely what I was thinking. Considering the results of this poll I now understand why every gun in the

classifieds has "about 5000" rounds through it !! Since it it too difficult to track "rough" estamates after about 5000 rounds,

everyone just replaces them at that point... :devil::devil:

I track every gun with a log book ! B)

I have tracked the round count on all my guns for the last few years... I think it helps stave off malfunctions due to spring failure and helps diagnos some problems that may arise. I also note when and what work is done to the gun/magazines. I use an excel program.

Maintenance Log

+1

BK

I do not. I can tell you within maybe + or - 5k rounds on most of my guns but thats it. I do know my Savage 110 in .223 has over 17k round down the tube and still drives tacks. :devil:

Its just too hard when I flip flop between guns and now my son shooting too. I don't have time.

Competition pieces only:

For my pistols: No... I just shoot the heck out of them and replace the springs every couple of years.

For my rifles: Yes... down to the round (only because I replace the barrels every 3,500 rounds. I can tell you both how many rounds have been through the rifle, and through that particular barrel. I can also tell you which rounds were in competition, practice, sighting and break-in.

I'm a little bit more anal about tack-driving accuracy at 600 and 1000 yards than I am at 20-30

:cheers:

Frank

• 5 months later...

Since I buy in bulk (I think I bought 7500 last time around), I loosely keep track by tracking my bullet orders. This should give me some idea on how often I need to replace springs in mags, gun, and other small parts.

I keep a log of every firearm that I have, easy to do with a spreadsheet printed out. You can hand write the info and put it in a binder. I also keep track of maintenance. Top end clean vs complete disassembly and clean. I also track what modifications or changes I do with the gun and what the effect of it is. It makes it a lot easier to keep track of when you have many guns.

If I chrono my loads, I also track this. I should also track the groups/accuracy of my loads but I am too lazy to do that...;-)

** EDIT ** I do not do this for my 22's

Edited by Albertl35

Years ago I tracked round count pretty closely on my first Open gun, but have gotten lazy since then. With my new blaster arriving this past week I was considering starting a book to track the round count. It won't be exact since it's hard to track exactly at matches and when doing chrono work, but still close enough that over time it's not going to make any difference. If you do track the number, how do you accomplish this....a little log or notepad you keep in your shooting bag or something else?

count the brass while I inspect it when I get home...

I have a separate file in my computer for each gun I shoot, both article guns and my personal weapons. After every shooting session, when I get home I enter the date I fired the ammo, type of ammo, how many rounds, and add that to the total. I also list any modifications I've made to the gun, when I changed the recoil spring, when I cleaned it, what matches I fired with that gun and how I placed, etc.