Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Track round count on your guns?

G-ManBart

Years ago I tracked round count pretty closely on my first Open gun, but have gotten lazy since then. With my new blaster arriving this past week I was considering starting a book to track the round count. It won't be exact since it's hard to track exactly at matches and when doing chrono work, but still close enough that over time it's not going to make any difference. If you do track the number, how do you accomplish this....a little log or notepad you keep in your shooting bag or something else?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep track of exactly how many rounds I bring to the range, and how many I come home with. I make a mental note if I lose any live rounds while unloading and showing clear or otherwise, and I'm pretty sure my logged count is very, very close to the actual count. I just keep my log in a text file on my computer, although I suppose you could get fancy and use Excel or something. The downside to keeping track is that you know exactly how much money you've spent on ammo :devil:

I keep an Excel spreadsheet for each pistol that I own. I can tell exactly how many rounds I have fired through a particular pistol and how long ago the last spring change occurred.

Me too. I like knowing how many rounds have been fired since the last maintenance as well as how many I shoot on an annual basis.

What gun, how many rounds, what event, total rounds, when springs were changed and parts upgraded. Detail records going back to... well, the beginning.

ETA: oh, and total rounds per month.

Edited by Steve J

My Glock 34 has 38,723 rounds though it, and 1,001,762 dryfire rounds through it.

Don't believe me? Ask Michael Phelps!

1218490657291.gif

Seriously though I gauge it roughly in the thousands, something easily done when you load your own ammo. This is done primarily to keep tabs on the abuse that various springs take over a season and whether or not they need to be replaced. I'm not a fan of waiting for something to break before replacing it...particularly when it is a $2 part ;)

I know by how many orders of bullets I've placed. Its close enough. I used to be super anal with a logbook, but haven't bothered anymore. I may have to with the STI, since its been giving me fits.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet for each pistol that I own. I can tell exactly how many rounds I have fired through a particular pistol and how long ago the last spring change occurred.

+1

I started using an Excel spreadsheet last year when I got my new limited gun.

I ordered bullets in bulk for my Limited gun. I knew plus or minus 500 how many rounds were fired through it by checking bullet stock, and knowing how often I'd re-ordered, over a course of months or years.... but thats it.

I tear the tab and upc code off the primer boxes (each box of 1000) and write the gun they were used in on the back side. I toss these in a tub on my loading bench. I can get a reasonably accurate count at years end by simply counting up the tabs. I am just not anal enough to worry about super exact counts or spreadsheets. BTW the frame on my SV limited gun built in 1999 is up to 93,000 rounds! The top end was replaced at 42k. For years this was my only gun.

Mark Dye

For competition pieces, I look at my load log and, since I only have one of each pretty much at any one time, it's a Loaded - Current Inventory = round count.

Other guns that get shot occasionally? Not too concerned.