Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety Glasses

werewolf45auto

I prefer any type of wraparound type of glasses, color is your preference, I personally like clear. I dont like perscription flat lense glasses, in which allows a gap from the side, in which a piece of debris could penetrate the eye. I am not a big advocate of spending $300 for glasses but if you got the funds to blow, get er done. But I believe eye protection is very, very important. we don't want anyone loosing an eye.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot Rudys with the Racing Red lenses for any situation this side of dark-houses. Even in the fading light of the cloudy/rainy Nationals, I used 'em. They also work fine in direct Texas sun.

I do try and avoid changing lenses all the time. The only time I break glasses is changing lenses.

• 3 weeks later...

Best possible material for protective glasses at this point in technology is polycarbonate. This is THE most impact resistant material that lenses are made from at present. If you would like to have an inexpensive demonstration of this toughness, get a cheap pair of polycarbs and a sixteen penny nail. Put the lens front down on a 2x4 and drive the nail through the lens from the back. (Wear safety glasses when you do this.) It should not break into pieces if it's real polycarbonate.

As far as color goes, the color in which we see sharpest is Yellow. Turns out the peak of the photopic vision curve is in the yellow green band in the visible spectrum. (Odd correlation here, since the sun is abundant in iron and sodium the peak of it's emission curve in the visible band is in yellow and green. It seems we see very well there because that's where there's the most light!! Cool Huh!) When the light is flat (cloudy) the best definition is in yellow. Clouds allow UV and near blue radiation through and these wavelengths produce the equivalent of "noise" in optical systems by having a natural tendency to focus short of the image plane. The energy of these photons is quite high and will over drive photo receptors. (Think cones here. Also where sunburn comes from!) Works that way on CCD devices and photo emulsions, but that's another topic. Yellow is the color opposite of blue in the additive color system, so filters out blue by absorbing those wavelengths. You see sharper, try it!. Some people don't like yellow for a lens color so try brown it's a nice compromise and softer on the eye. Almost as sharp. Green is the next best color and has a nice natural sensibility to it that many people like. B&L did the research for the Air Force many years ago and developed Ray Ban sunglasses for Hi altitude flying for these reasons. For a general tint, there is nothing I know of that's better than gray. Called Tru-Gray by B&L, it has a flat transmission curve and renders color evenly. The transmission spectrum of the lens falls off on either end. On one end in infra-red and on the other end in near blue and UV. These absorption characteristics are important because a tinted lens causes your pupil to open up and exposes the crystalline lens, vitreous humor and retina to more potentially damaging radiation. This is implicated in macular degeneration and cataracts among other things. Bad sunglasses (read cheap here) contribute to diseases of the eye!

Combat related equipment, entry team protective gear, windows for bullet proof application are often layers of glass and polycarb with clear, special polyester for reinforcement. The goggles you see on entry teams and combat teams in the police and military are scratch resistant coated polycarbonate. Generally, if properly designed, manufactured and supported, if anything hits you hard enough to make a polycarbonate lens break while you're wearing it, you won't care anyway.

It is not possible to make a glass lens this tough. It is only more scratch resistant. It will always be easier to break and therefore less safe for shooting applications. Period. Layered lenses are thick and heavy. Tough but ugly. Kind of like a A10 Warthog or a HumVee. IF you choose glass lenses they MUST be chemically strengthened. This is done in a molten salt bath in a Ion exchange process. To meet ANSI standards for industrial impact standards they must be thicker and therefore heavier than polycarbonate.

It is VERY useful to be able to check the optics of a lens if you intend to shoot with it. Especially in sighting we tend to use the peripheral area of the lens. (Edges) Particularly near the corner closest to your nose. If the lenses are not ground to be plane, as in the case of a pressed or molded lens, it will have distortions that will interfere with ALL visual tasking and may give you a headache. (It sure gives ME a headache when I miss too much!!) It is simple to do this so...no worries mate!!

Hold the lens you wish to check the optics in, away from your best eye about ten inches or so and look through it. Locate a strong straight line about 20 feet or more away. Vertical or horizontal no matter, just nice and straight (Doorway, shelving edge of a window). While looking at the line, move the lens around while still looking through it at the strong straight line. Notice the appearance of the image. If the image becomes distorted as you near the edge of the lens, that represents distortion because of irregularities in the surface curvature. Or possibly variations in the optical density of the material the lens is made from. This will distort your vision and make you unable to acquire a good sight picture. I have been surprised at how many fairly expensive pairs of glasses I have looked at that were distorted and causing shooters I play with no end of trouble and confusion. This can save you a lot of experiment with equipment that you don't need to try if you're not confused by lacking this information!

Hope this is helpful.

See Everything! :surprise:

Fixit!

• 2 weeks later...

I never wore safety glasses as a pup or ear protection. I was lucky enough to witness someone else's misfortune at the range (45 acp factory round double charged explode in a 1911 and pepper his face with brass) and have worn eye pro ever since.

I have been using the ESS ICE glasses with the RX insert. First of all there customer service is POOR, but they are the best optics in the price point and like double ANSI rated. Bronze is my favorite followed by yellow. The RX insert I have the British Military metal wire frame version and would recommend the black plastic frame because the chrome metal wire has alot of light bounce/reflection under certain lighting. They are very heavy and have design problems. 1) the RX insert on my mild prescription is very curved in attempt to give a wrap around vision but only creates a slight fish bowl feel which distorts and slows down target acquisition 2) They changed the nose piece to put greater distance between the 2 lenses. This creates greater reflection/ghosting/light bounce between lenses and puts the RX lens so close to your eyes that your eye lashes brush the lens greasing it and increases fogging and so you slide them to the edge of your nose making them unstable. 3) very heavy I would recommend using them only with contacts 4) temple pieces wear out quickly if change lenses often

IMHO

I will be switching to Rudy Project or Oakley due to ESS poor customer service and keeping the ESS for home repair use.

I have found that the Oakley M FRames sit much closer to the face than the new Radars and will most likely get the Radars due to long eyelash issues.

I have found that optically the Zeiss shooting glasses and Oakleys are the best polycarbs followed by Rudy Projects.

On the glasses?

I'm thinking Chris was alluding to the warranty and availability of OEM replacement parts on the eyes.....

Translation -- you only have two eyes, you do better with both of them in working order --- so buy the best safety glasses you can get your hands on. Then wear them....

I think that you should also consider if the glasses have the most important first line of protection which is not their impact rating. The more important thing for military/LE is do they assist or hinder your eyesight. I have safety glasses that I would use at the range that I believe would put me in danger in combat. Cheap glasses with poor optics that have high impact ratings can get you killed if they hinder your quality of visual acuity. Just my .02 cents

God Bless

• 2 weeks later...

Got to put my bid in on the Oakley M-frames lots of lens colors, muffs seal good, and mine have lasted over 10 years. The frame is starting to show its age though (lens sill perfect), need to upgrade to the pro!