Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads for 12 gauge Benelli

Krieghoff

I am considering a move to a 12 gauge M2. The question I have is "Will this gun run 1oz or even 7/8 oz. loads?" It seems from a lot of things that I have read that a lot of people say they have to run 1 1/8 oz loads for reliable functioning. I am currently shooting a 20 ga 1100 (one of my shooting buddies calls it a 550 since it only works half the time). I really feel that 20 gauge is enough gun but would like the versatility of a 12. I am not a member of the club that thinks bigger bullets are better. So can I shoot 1oz loads reliably or should I look at a 20 ga M2?

My 21" M2 will not run 26 gram Win AA loads. I have shot two different boxes of 1 ounce loads, one worked the other did not. Since one ounce loads are not available at the local box store I have not shot but these two boxes of one ounce shells. The gun functions reliably with 1 1/8 loads of all sorts.

Edited by Michael Carlin

You are asking if 1oz loads will run................yes, provided they are 3 dram or possibly 2.75 dram loads. the reference to 26 "gram" loads is one that I normally see used in Europe, and I would say that for reliable operation try to stick with 30 "gram" loads or larger.

the weight of the pellet charge only gives you the moving mass and not the energy used to move it, both need to be considered to find what is reliable in your gun.

I have used 1oz, 3 dram loads reliably in my M1, but it has the standard action spring in it and not the heavy spring.

Trapr

Bigbrowndog,

I was looking for 1 ounce loads at the local WalMart and bought several boxes of

"Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise Target Load" shells.

There is a yellow "burst" on the top of the box stating

50% less recoil and noise*

* see side panel

They are clearly labeled on the side panel:

"Use in break open and pump shotguns only. Do NOT use in semi-automatic shotguns

as load may not function the firearm's action."

So, of course, I tried them in my M2 just to see; no surprise that they don't work. I tried them in my Browning B 2000 and had the same result.

They were for sometime (several months) the only Win AA loads on the shelf at the Sparta WI WalMart.

26 g = 0.917123 oz (a little over 29/32 of an ounce of shot)

The bottom of the box has an application for the NSCA printed on it. The front and back endorsements from ATA, NSSA, and NSCA. The ATA website is on the opposite side from the caution about using them only in manually operated guns.

I have to admit to being ignorant to what "they" ammo manuf. were referring to when they put 28gram or 47gram load info on the boxes in Europe, and I could not get an informative answer from the folks I asked, I simply went with the advice of the locals that 28 "gram" or less was not reliable in Benelli's and from what I saw they were correct.

Not knowing what powder charge is used to drive the the pellet charge seemed kind of silly to me.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

My M1 and M3 shoot everything I have tried. The Wally world cheap loads work, but the cases hit the bolt handle when they eject. I have been shooting Estate and Rio brand lately. Rem dove load is what I can get locally.

Mike

Ok I am gathering from the replies that you need 1 1/8 oz or pretty stout 1 oz. loads. If I can run 1oz sporting clay loads at about 1200 fps then I will go 12 ga. Otherwise I will stick with 20 ga. I just need to try some of my 1 oz loads in someone's Benelli.

I've been loading 1oz at about 1200-1250 fps and so far they have run fine in a Super Black Eagle. I had doubts about using a SBE for games, but it runs the light loads just fine. I've only got a couple hundred through it, but so far all is good. The gun has been shot with hunting and sporting clays loads over the last 4 years, so it's pretty well broke in. Forget 7/8oz. It will not cycle them.

My Stock (stock bolt carrier/shell lifter, Limbsaver Recoil Pad though) M1 will run the Peters 1oz. Target loads (2-3/4 Dram @ 1290 FPS). I have run many boxes without a single malfunction. I would think an M2 with Comfortech would be even more reliable.

Edited by 5Shot

My modified lightened bolt M2 runs the cheapo made for Walmart 1 oz 1350 fps Winchester loads just fine. My unmodified M1 needs stiffer stuff to be reliable which usually the ounce and a quarter loads. I have seen identical guns not run identical loads so YRMV.

I just ran 12, 7/8 oz. 2 1/2 dram BLACK POWDER loads out of my M1 today...yep A Cowboy Action Shooter had some and wanted to see if a "bottom feeder" would even shoot BP "catridges" Boy was I surprised!! and then I took My M1 to the carwash and spent a couple of $$ to spray it all out. Then went home and dried it and cleaned it...BUT DAMN.......IT RAN!!! And now I have Black Lung!!! KurtM

BTW It got hotter than hell with these loads...Why is that???

Oh come now Traps, you asked the question and got the answer, the fact you didnt understand the answer aint our fault ! :rolleyes:

As for 1oz or 28 gram loads (same weight) the faster burning clay loads work in my M2 and Kurts Eurotrash M1 just fine, hell they even ran your Nova flawlessly ! :surprise:

We dont need no stinkin US DRAM measurments....... um, ok, whats a Dram again ??

Never tried anything less than a fast 1oz, and I am not sure how easy a 26 gram load, through a 24" barrel would make PF in IPSC comps, but I am probably wrong. May just get some and give myself a good excuse to go to the range and find out !

My Open Benelli M2(build by Benny) runs on 24 gram loads. But I'm not sure about the power factor....

I don't use any lighter than 28 gram loads in competition, but here in Norway 24 grams are cheap to practice with

I just ran 12, 7/8 oz. 2 1/2 dram BLACK POWDER loads out of my M1 today...yep A Cowboy Action Shooter had some and wanted to see if a "bottom feeder" would even shoot BP "catridges" Boy was I surprised!! and then I took My M1 to the carwash and spent a couple of $$ to spray it all out. Then went home and dried it and cleaned it...BUT DAMN.......IT RAN!!! And now I have Black Lung!!! KurtM

BTW It got hotter than hell with these loads...Why is that???

Kurt since you now have the research for one third of a Front Sight article on black powder loads for 3 gun, why don't you complete the project? We would all be glad to mail you a few quarters for the car wash. :)

I think the quality of the ammo may be as important to functional reliability as the load specs themselves. I have yet to try an elcheapo target load of any specification that did not give some problem. I use in my Benelli M2 (with Benny Hill lightened bolt), Remington STS light target loads, 2 3/4 dr, 1 1/8 oz and 1145 fps. Interestingly they are perfectly matched to the slugs I use, Remington reduced recoil, 3 dr, 1 oz, 1200 fps. Recoil feels almost the same with the STS load slightly lighter on the shoulder. A fellow competitor uses a 20 g at our local club. I tried it and with the loads he uses it kicked as hard or harder than my 12g. He claimed there was not as much variety in commercial 20g.

Mikey, I think the 30 gram load is slightly over a 1oz. and the 28 gram is sligthly under 1oz. at least thats what my conversion table says????

but again not knowing what powder charge is used makes a difference also, as for "your" Nova running 28's I think it was all the Operator!!!!!!! just keep the buttstock the same length, I'd hate to have to saw my arms shorter when I come back.........Ausfahrt!!!!

Trapr

Hey Kurt,

Did you have wad boogers in your benelli? :goof::D

The easiest way that I have found for cleaning after the dragons bane (saltpeter, charcoal and sulfer) is to plug the muzzel with a paper towel and warm up some windex with vinegar and fill the barrel. Let sit while I clean the other guns and then push paper towels through with a 1/2" dowel. dry and oil and you are done cleaning

Yes, I do shoot a fair bit of BP in the Cowboy game :devil:

BTW, I will NOT use BP in my 1100

MoDoc, the Tidy-Clean car washing soap seemed to do wonders and since the Benelli is a chrome lined bore all is well. I really recomend the spotless rinse also as I didn't have a single water spot on the entire shotgun! Now I think B.P. would absolutely foul out an 1100/11-87 gas system so this just goes to show yet ANOTHER advantage to using a Benelli. For anyone who hasn't powerwashed a fire arm before..REMEMBER to hold on to it VERY tightly as the pressure washers can send it fliing. I was almost hit by a 97 Winchester from the next bay over when he triggered the wand :roflol: (note: all parts of this story are true...except for the 97 part :rolleyes: ) KurtM