Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic .22 lr comp

kurtm

I just got the new Nordic comp for the 10-22/ AR stocked gun. I tried it, for a .22 LR it was great no movement whatso ever, but since it is a 1/2" 3 28 thread and I was told to really test it, I screwed it on a 1X9 Bushmaster 20" upper. Now this thing is only about 1" long, but it has a very nice expansion chamber for the first 3 ports so I thought what the heck!, If I blow it up Tim will just have to make it better. I screw it on and index it and guess what....it is an incredibly effective 5.56x45/.223 brake. I would rate it with the top 4 brakes I have ever shot. It is the diameter of a STOCK barrel and about 1" long it has a primary expansion chamber,and a big thrust chamber right in front of it. This thing is FLAT!!! Now I tried it with light and heavy and it seemed to really shine from 55-77 grn. stuff, but holely molly!! It is incredibly effective for it,s size and is better than several high end brakes in my opinion. and for like $39.00 it can't be beat! KurtM

I don't think it's the one displayed on the Nordic gun that I saw at SHOT which IIRC is aluminum for .22LR.

If it's like the one I installed for Larry Houck the other day, it's pretty nice and VERY small. It has a large circular port on each side and looks very well made. I used a peel washer on it on Larrys LaRue upper. I'm waiting to hear how he likes it.

Later,

Robb

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think it's the one displayed on the Nordic gun that I saw at SHOT which IIRC is aluminum for .22LR.

If it's like the one I installed for Larry Houck the other day, it's pretty nice and VERY small. It has a large circular port on each side and looks very well made. I used a peel washer on it on Larrys LaRue upper. I'm waiting to hear how he likes it.

Later,

Robb

Well, I shot it the other day at 25 yards.......guess what the thing worked too well. I was firing controlled shots. The muzzle was going down about an inch. I found myself brining the gun up a little to fire the second shot. Went to 15 yards for hammer time....I liked it. It will take some getting use to as the other comps allow the muzzle to rise and then return. Tim's comp does not allow the muzzle to rise at all!

• 2 weeks later...

You could try calling Nordic, I don't think any of the distributors have them. We aren't quite sure how to market them yet.....it's supposed to be a 10/22 comp.

As for pics.....If I ever bring my camera in, I'll take a snap shot of one.

It's actually smaller than an A2 flash hider.

Edited by TRUBL

You could try calling Nordic, I don't think any of the distributors have them. We aren't quite sure how to market them yet.....it's supposed to be a 10/22 comp.

As for pics.....If I ever bring my camera in, I'll take a snap shot of one.

It's actually smaller than an A2 flash hider.

If you send me one, I'll take some hi-res pics! :)

I use a 8-megapixel Canon XT Rebel. :)

engraving.jpg

Yes....you are viewing the top of the brake

In the first chamber (yes, there are 2)....there are 3 holes that direct the gas up

In the second chamber.....there is one hole that directs the gas up....the big hole you see is actually side to side.

I'm really not going to tout it here as the catch all greatest comp out there.

Are there better ones? Yes

Are there worse ones? Yes

It's got it's advantages and probably some disadvantages as well....I really think that the comp is only one piece of the puzzle in reducing your overall recoil and muzzle rise. THAT.....I learned from working at JP Enterprises. Whatever comp you use, you can affect how good it works by bolt mass and speed....as well as over all weight of the rifle, not to mention loading data, powder burn rates, etc. A comp that works great on one rifle.....may create a negative rise on another or yet on another rifle it has not effect of rise at all. You have to look at tweaking the entire system.

It's all a bunch of madness I tell ya!!! That being said....we're finding out that there is actually a little science to an effective comp....allot has to do with hole size, hole size, hole size in 2 main areas.

If you have a comp that creates negative rise....try drilling out the hole that the bullet goes through. If you want less rise.....you gotta have more gas shooting up.

I have to say, I really didn't design this comp for this intended purpose.....need to state that here. It was meant to be a 'cool' looking comp for the AR22 stock. I had a little time one Saturday morning....some 3/4" stock laying around, open time on a lathe and I did a bunch of...."lets see how this looks".

Edited by TRUBL

p479547362-4.jpg

p519583095-4.jpg

Tim was (IS) kind enough to send me one of the NC 22 comps for T and E for a future article.

I am sure it will work very well. The one on the M1A is one of my own design that has seen several thousand 308's over the

last 3 years. As you can see we have drawn similar conclusions within a small envelope. I know mine works and the NC is sure

to shine as well.

Look for more info on this and several other brakes later this winter.

Patrick