Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Wolf conversion barrels?

Tattoo

Hey all,

My kid wants to shoot w/ me and I am considering putting a 9mm LW conversion barrel in my G22 for him.

I know you need/should change the extractor. Do you need to change the ejector too?

Have you had any issues w/ realiability?

If he really digs shooting the matches, I will have to get another gun to be "legal", but this is just a cheap

way to let him try the game.

Thanks,

T

Hey all,

My kid wants to shoot w/ me and I am considering putting a 9mm LW conversion barrel in my G22 for him.

I know you need/should change the extractor. Do you need to change the ejector too?

Have you had any issues w/ realiability?

If he really digs shooting the matches, I will have to get another gun to be "legal", but this is just a cheap

way to let him try the game.

Thanks,

T

Well, I guess I'll actually answer the question. I have a G35 (.40) and put in a LW conversion barrel. I did not change the extractor or the ejector. I use 9mm magazines. I already use a reduced power recoil spring, but I think the stock one has worked for factory 9mm ammo too. With factory 9mm ammo, I don't have any problems. I have only had two types of problems:

1. Magazine Related - When I used .40 mags, the slide would lock back randomly and I'd get some occasional jams. Using 9mm mags solved this.

2. Ammo Related - The LW barrels have *very* tight chambers. Some of my reloads with heavy bullets tend to bulge the case a little and won't always chamber. If you reload, particularly with heavy bullets, always pull your barrel and chamber check it to make sure the rounds will chamber. If you don't reload and only use factory ammo, this shouldn't be a problem.

That said, if you reload, you could just load some mouse-fart .40 minor loads.

I have a 9 mm conversion barrel by Lone Wolf in a G-24 and it is superb. I did have to change the ejector to get it to run, but that is it. I bought a inexpensive barrel to convert my G-22 to 9mm and didn't have to change anything. I think it depends on several things and you won't know until you try it.

By the way my .40 mags run flawless with the 9mm rounds.

Buddy

:wub: I installed a LW in .40S&W for a Glock 35 very nice fit-drop in no smithing at all.

has very good support, and shoot's very well - BUT only used FMJ 180GR MG. Put over

2k rounds in it so far no problem, and reloading the brass is very easy-go for it. SP check

Edited by Rolex

I have 3 LW barrels.

one is a 9-40 for my G23 - works great!

one is a 9-40 threaded also for my G23 - no problems!

one is a 9mm ported for my G17 - also works great.

The price is reasonable and LWD is a great company.

By the way my .40 mags run flawless with the 9mm rounds.

Buddy

Really? I've heard some say that, but when I try putting 9mm in 40 magazines, after loading about 4 or 5 rounds the spring pressure pops them out!

• 2 weeks later...

I have on for my 24. Like the others I have had NO problems with it. With the 40 extractor even. The chamber is TIGHT so you have to be careful with you loads.

I used 40 mags until I got 9 mags without to many problems.

In my experience, with 2 LW barrels, a G34 and a G35, they both have substantially tighter chambers.

They also have shorter leade. If you are loading round nose bullets, you probably won't have a problem. If you are loading TC's you might have to shorten them up a little from stock Glock length.

I bought them becouse I started shooting Precisions and lead and had quite a bit of fouling in the Glock barrels. The LW barrels are fine. They are accurate and well finished. I've had no problems with them once I got the loading length straightened out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a LWD 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23. The first time I tired the conversion out, I used my .40 cal. magazines with the 9mm. rounds. I ended up with a few unspent rounds on the floor at my feet. Since I switched to 9mm magazines, function has been flawless.

Edited by Randy C

• 3 weeks later...

If you are reloading either 40 or 9mm and using LWD barrels, I highly recommend using a Lee u-die

for the sizing. It reduces the 'tight chamber' problems, but won't fully eliminate. I still chamber check

all my rounds in both calibers just to be sure.

+1 for replacing extractor and ejector when converting between 40 and 9.

Never had a single issue with LWD barrels, even with CCF frames. LWD barrels, atleast in my experience,

drop-in to CCF frames without any issues. Other mfr's barrels must be fit or they will break the underlug

within just a few rounds (I broke 2 of them).

• 2 weeks later...
+1 for replacing extractor and ejector when converting between 40 and 9.

I dont have a conversion barrel, but my curiosity is up...if you replace the extractor with the 9mm one, do you have to also replace the Spring Loaded Bearing on the end of the Extracter Depressor PLunger, which is caliber specific?

Just curious... :huh: ...Thanks!