Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this sear junk?

SLM

I found this when I pulled my gun apart to fit a new safety...

It looks like the previous owner (or whoever fit the last safety) ground the corner off the sear. I'm sure no 'smith but this just doesn't look like standard fitting practice to me! I'm guessing I need to get a new one, yes?

post-10863-1216776652.jpg

post-10863-1216776668.jpg

post-10863-1216776683.jpg

post-10863-1216776696.jpg

It looks like the previous owner (or whoever fit the last safety) ground the corner off the sear. I'm sure no 'smith but this just doesn't look like standard fitting practice to me! I'm guessing I need to get a new one, yes?

Some people take the material off the sear rather than the safety so if a new safety has to be installed it wont be a problem to fit. I have a Dawson signature gun and that is how Dave fits safeties on his guns.(although it looks better than that) Like the others have said, if it passes all the safety checks then dont worry about it unless you just cant stand it.

Some people take the material off the sear rather than the safety so if a new safety has to be installed it wont be a problem to fit. I have a Dawson signature gun and that is how Dave fits safeties on his guns.(although it looks better than that) Like the others have said, if it passes all the safety checks then dont worry about it unless you just cant stand it.

I've never seen this done. On your Dawson gun, is the sear corner ground at an angle like the one in the picture, or did Dave cut the sear so that the safety engagment is still square to the back of the sear. I would think that cutting at an angle would increase the chances of the safety failing to hold the sear in the not too distant future.

Bill

If it passes all the safety checks i wouldn't worry about it.

+1

I saw a similar cut on a factory svi open gun, although it was cut square instead of at an angle.

and I had one of those why'd they do that moments?

I later did a trigger job on an old S-70 colt that I had hard chromed. and of course the ambi safety had to be fitted to the new sear. then it dawned on me why they did it that way. a sear that is never seen is a lot cheaper to replace than a ambi safety, especially one that would have to be sent 3000 miles away to get plated to match the rest of the gun. you want to guess which part I took a file to fit the safety.

oh yea,I should also mention, it was a major pain in the butt to fit it up that way, assemble the lower, try the safety, disassemble, chuck the sear in the vise, file 1 or 2 strokes, reassemble, try the safety, repeat 10-15 time until the safety operates properly.

Edited by rishii

Is your gun an STI with a SV trigger? Because the SV trigger bow is a little longer than STI's, a number of 'smiths cut the sear this way when fitting a trigger, rather than mess with the bow or the grip-frame.

B ("...or so I'm told")

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get it squared up and go with it. It looked to me like whoever built it slipped while they were walking past a bench grinder, lol!

Yep, I'm trying my hand at fitting a new ambi safety. I've got the Brazo's web directions printed out right where I'm working in it!! This is all new to me.

The gun is STI. No SV parts on this one.