Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Equipment & Supplies for Newbie

Douglas

Hey guys, my first post so let me apologize in advance for any lack of decorum or other infractions that newbies make. Let me know. I am new to reloading and have not shot much although I am getting involved in local (100 mile range) USPSA, IDPA, and 3-gun matches. My question is does anybody have any feedback on a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press and their powder measures, Competition Electronics ProChrono digital chronograph, RCBS 502 or 505 powder scales. Cost is a factor and I hate wasting money. Let me thank all you guys for your posts. I have sure learned a lot by just reading your posts on a variety of different topics.

Hey guys, my first post so let me apologize in advance for any lack of decorum or other infractions that newbies make. Let me know. I am new to reloading and have not shot much although I am getting involved in local (100 mile range) USPSA, IDPA, and 3-gun matches. My question is does anybody have any feedback on a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press and their powder measures, Competition Electronics ProChrono digital chronograph, RCBS 502 or 505 powder scales. Cost is a factor and I hate wasting money. Let me thank all you guys for your posts. I have sure learned a lot by just reading your posts on a variety of different topics.

First welcome to the best shooting forum on the web.

I will give you my .02 worth on the press. I started with the turret and it was a good press for doing small batches of different calibers. I have since switch to Dillons and have not looked back. I would look for a used or new 550B. The 550 can do all the calibers you could run across shooting any of the 3 different sports. I think even though the 550 is going to be a bigger initial cost it will serve you forever, the lifetime no BS warranty is hard to beat with Dillon.

My question is does anybody have any feedback on a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press and their powder measures, Competition Electronics ProChrono digital chronograph, RCBS 502 or 505 powder scales. Cost is a factor and I hate wasting money. Let me thank all you guys for your posts. I have sure learned a lot by just reading your posts on a variety of different topics.

First. Welcome to the forum!

Lee's Classic Turret press is excellent. Especially for the money. I manage to load 300 rounds of USPSA match and practice ammo on it every week. Takes me about 90 minutes. Make sure to purchase the "Safety Prime" for it. I find their powder measures consistent and very reliable. That said, Dillon manufactures the best progressive presses in the world. :bow: I have proudly owned three over the years. Your scale choices are all good. Dillon sells a truly fine one too. I use a Dillon Terminator digital scale and love it. I have a basic and accurate Lee scale as back up to keep my Dillon on it's toes. Not familiar with CE chronographs but can whole heartedly recommend the CED Millennium 2 that I have. I will say, I salute you in incorporating a chronograph into your reloading equipment. Good show! Last and most definitely not least. Pick up a copy of new Speer Reloading Manual. Outstanding, must have resource. Be careful! LOAD SLOW. Shoot fast.

Jim

+1 on dillon, best no bull shi# in reloaders, if it's broke, they fix it a 550 would handle all your reloads for 3 gun except for shotgun, but on the other hand lee doe's make a fine reloader and cost would be cheaper at the onset. Really it's more a personnal choice, welcome to the shooting world :cheers:

I have to give a big +1 to the Dillon press. The only thing is I am not sure the 550 is the best to start with since it has to be manually indexed. This requires some diligence and lots of concentration to not double charge. There was someone on here that took all of his loaded rounds from his 550 and weighed them and he said it was a great way to catch the double and no charged rounds. I guess this all more or less food for thought but you can't beat a Dillon product.

Welcome to the forum and shooting sports. I always go with the best quality I can afford. Buy it right the first time and you will only cry one time. I got tired of upgrading and finally went with a Dillon. Love it.

I have the CED pro Chrono and love that also. Just read the book to learn all the buttons.

JS

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. I think you have convinced me to save my pennies and go for the Dillon 550. Thanks to all for taking the time to help us novices progress along the right path. I believe I am really going to enjoy this sport. What more can you ask for: clear skies, a lot of sun, (from the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico), shooting, and hangin with a good group of people with something in common. I have some other questions, but will try to find the right forum or topic. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. I think you have convinced me to save my pennies and go for the Dillon 550. Thanks to all for taking the time to help us novices progress along the right path. I believe I am really going to enjoy this sport. What more can you ask for: clear skies, a lot of sun, (from the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico), shooting, and hangin with a good group of people with something in common. I have some other questions, but will try to find the right forum or topic. Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum.

You won't regret getting the Dillon. My first reloader almost 15 years ago was a 550, and I still have it for trying special loads. The only loader I've bought since is a Dillon 650 about 5 years ago, and it is just as good (and a little faster).

If you like a turret press the Lee will work fine. Everyone that shoots a rifle needs a non-progressive press in addition to their progressive(it makes things easier).

For someone who shoots one main pistol caliber in competition, and needs less than 1500rds. per month, a Square Deal B is about perfect. If you have the spare cash a 1050 is even better.

A single stage or turret will see lots of use for load development and loading a few rifle rounds.

The scales you mention should be fine. I've used a RCBS 505 for over 20 years(my only scale).

On the other hand, if you need 500 plus rounds for a rifle per month you might want to go progressive for that also. A 550, 650, or 1050 will do it all. The slow thing about rifle reloading is trimming all those cases. And that is a whole other issue.

Also, buy a few reloading manuals, and read everything you can.

I started on the Lee Turret, worked great!! I still have it set up to load my 45ACP as I don't shot it that often. But for my 40SW i have a Square Deal B (SDB) that rocks. The SDB easily produces twice the ammo in same time as the Lee.

The Dillon is built more solid as well, and is worth every penny. But if you new and money is tight, the Lee will work until you get to shooting more than a couple of hundred rounds a week.

I can't comment on the Lee press as I have never owned or used one, I have a RCBS Pro 2000. It was available at such a screamin' deal price I went with it rather than a Dillon 550 or 650, so far I like my reloader, I'm new to handloads too.

Good luck with your purchase, what ever you end up with. Lots of Blue Koolaid fans on this site...

Ron

I can't comment on the Lee press as I have never owned or used one, I have a RCBS Pro 2000. It was available at such a screamin' deal price I went with it rather than a Dillon 550 or 650, so far I like my reloader, I'm new to handloads too.

Good luck with your purchase, what ever you end up with. Lots of Blue Koolaid fans on this site...

Ron

I started on the Lee Turret, worked great!! I still have it set up to load my 45ACP as I don't shot it that often. But for my 40SW i have a Square Deal B (SDB) that rocks. The SDB easily produces twice the ammo in same time as the Lee.

The Dillon is built more solid as well, and is worth every penny. But if you new and money is tight, the Lee will work until you get to shooting more than a couple of hundred rounds a week.

+1.

Like most others, I started on single-stages (still have 2 of them), went to a LCT and evolved to a Dillon SDB. The little Classic Turret is a fantastic value and a very versatile tool but I have to admit, I only use it now for "odds & ends"...the Dillon gets all the work.

I started with a lee 4-hole turret, and it's still on my bench next to a secondhand sdb. Neither one gives me much trouble. The turret will get you started- I paid a little over a hundred for it with dies, scale, etc. Extra turrets and dies are cheap too, so it won't hurt as bad to setup for the different calibers. It's auto indexing, so it makes it harder to double charge or skip a case.

Lee's trimmers for the rifle are good but slow, like the press.

The Lee gets used to load a few oddball rounds here and there, and size rifle cases. The Dillon has got to be triple the speed though, and I don't like reloading.

Ya'll have sure given me a lot to think about. Maybe I should plan on both the Lee Classic and the Dillon 500. At this point, I shoot a lot more pistol than rifle. Use the Dillon for pistol and the Lee for rifle. Now if I can just talk my better half into that plan. Do the Lee Dies work well with the Dillon? I have read some good comments about the Lee dies, but not sure about any problems using them on Dillon. Thanks for all your responses.