Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite powder for loading the 9mm?

Waldog

(1) What is your favorite powder for loading 9 mm, bullets LIGHTER than 120 grs?

(2) What is your favorite powder for loading 9 mm, bullets HEAVIER than 120 grs?

I have handloaded for years. I never bothered loading the 9 mm as it was cheap and I didn't shoot it very much. All that's changed! It ain't cheap anymore. And, I have a new pistol that MY WHOLE FAMILY loves to shoot. You guessed it, a 9 mm! :rolleyes:

(1) What is your favorite powder for loading 9 mm, bullets LIGHTER than 120 grs?

(2) What is your favorite powder for loading 9 mm, bullets HEAVIER than 120 grs?

I have handloaded for years. I never bothered loading the 9 mm as it was cheap and I didn't shoot it very much. All that's changed! It ain't cheap anymore. And, I have a new pistol that MY WHOLE FAMILY loves to shoot. You guessed it, a 9 mm! :rolleyes:

I have tended to load everything from 124 through 147 with N320, it has been great. Its availability (mostly) and its cost have pushed me to change. I have a few powders on hand but no time. I think I will be going with bullseye for a while (I also have some Universal and some HS6 on hand to use up). Once I burn through all that, I will be back at decision time as well.

Good Luck

Most of mine is with 115 grainers...lots of good powders but FWIW, personal favorites are:

Ramshot Silhouette

Winchester WSF

VithaVouri N-330

VithaVouri 3-N-37

I love the VV powders but they're pricey for plinking. Beyond them, Silhouette and WSF are both outstanding using lighter 9MM bullets...flow through the measure like water, accurate , very affordable & forgiving especially, Silhouette.

I use WSF for all my reloads in 9mm.

Ok, I must be brain farting but I could have swore I read here that WSF had been discontinued and that Ramshot picked it up as Silhouette... Am I going crazy or not? Does WSF still exist? :ph34r:

Ok, I must be brain farting but I could have swore I read here that WSF had been discontinued and that Ramshot picked it up as Silhouette... Am I going crazy or not? Does WSF still exist? :ph34r:

I am not sure about the WSF being discontinued by Winchester but, that is what I have been using to load both my 9mm 124gr (minor) and .40S&W 180gr (both minor and major). If it is in fact no longer offered then I may decide to switch to Titegroup; I have used TG in the past and it shoots quite nicely but it is significantly dirtier than WSF at minor PF.

Ok, my mistake. Some internet searching tells me it's Silhouette and the discontinued WAP that are the same powder.

Yep. Ramshot has added a very effective flash suppressant...great stuff for indoor shooting.

WSL Winchester super Lite was discontinued........WSF Win SuperField is still available WAP Win Action Pistol.....is now repackaged and sold as Ramshot Silhouette. Good powder! WSF or WAP/Sihouette are really good choices for 9x19 too.....

DougC