Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Frame Mod's

BN91205

Hello,

Got a strange question but I have to ask: I own a Para P18-9 and would like to convert into an Unlimited Class pistol. The frame is obviously much heavier than any STI/SV modular type frame. Has anyone tried or heard of frame lightening techniques, cuts, etc. on Para Hi-cap frames? Not that I wouldn't invest in an STI/SV, but I've never heard of it being done.

Thanks for the info and have a wonderful 4th of July!

Regards,

Brian

Hello,

Got a strange question but I have to ask: I own a Para P18-9 and would like to convert into an Unlimited Class pistol. The frame is obviously much heavier than any STI/SV modular type frame. Has anyone tried or heard of frame lightening techniques, cuts, etc. on Para Hi-cap frames? Not that I wouldn't invest in an STI/SV, but I've never heard of it being done.

Regards,

Brian

Tangfolio is one of my favorite guns and it is on the heavy side. The gun shoots very flat

compared to other because of its heavy frame. I would leave it alone or sell your gun

and buy a tangfolio limited. you can find them around for about $900.00 good luck.

Well it's not "much" heavier. Frankly, from a former Entreprise owner, I don't think too highly of Para guns. That said, squaring and checkering the front strap would be a good idea. Lightening it? Eh...shave some on the dust cover?

Rich

ETA: I think I'd be more concerned with finding mags.

Edited by uscbigdawg

The Para dust cover is already very thin. You can get the slide lightened but I wouldn't mess with the frame. Trust me, I know. If you want a lighter frame, get a lighter frame.

Later,

Chuck

PS: Hi Rich, you back west yet?

I agree do not lighten the frame on a Para, now you can go nuts on the slide but stay above 11 oz. Here is a picture of my Para before re-finishing.

JC.jpg

Edited by Carloz

I shoot my Para 9x23 Open division pistol without any frame lightening. If you want to go lighter have EGW do their racing stripes and do a Big Swoop on the back of the slide. Also a straight 'pin' comp instead of one with any slide like contour will contribute to being lighter. Stay away from a tungsten guide rod too.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne

Stay away from a tungsten guide rod too.

Why is that? I had a 3oz EGW tungsten in my Super that I never had a problem with and have a 10+ year old 5oz Wilson tungsten in my .40 that I've never had a problem with.

Stay away from a tungsten guide rod too.

Why is that? I had a 3oz EGW tungsten in my Super that I never had a problem with and have a 10+ year old 5oz Wilson tungsten in my .40 that I've never had a problem with.

I'm only guessing here --- but maybe because the original question addressed frame lightening on the Para......

Tungsten rods would seem counterintuitive to the lightening process....

Nick, persactically!!! I use a tungsten guide rod in my Para P14-45 and like it. However, as the first question was how to lighten a Para frame, I suggest not putting in the tungsten guide rod since that just adds wt to the frame.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne

• 2 months later...

You can have one more hole drilled in the frame, or get it opened like a 1911 frame is.

I've seen an Open 45 built on a Para frame.

The gunsmith had made cuts in the front strap. He also puts headless screws from the inside of the frame to get an aggressive grip.

But I think the gain was not that much...

Hello,

Regards,

Brian

Brian,

Ben there, done that. do not lightened the para. It will shoot better heavier.

i didnt listened before and wanted to do the same thing you are doing. Got an STI instead and left

the para alone. wind up selling it. if not, you can still use the para and when your shooting skills are

well developed, you will notice that you'll get a faster shot on a heavier gun.

SB

Edited by shooterbenedetto