Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolen Followers and springs for 40SW Box legal mags.

Julien Boit

I have tried spring (11 coil) and follower in my short SVI magazine (12 cm.) with SVI pad but i notice no difference with Grams ;

in my mag the capacity is 17 and if i insist a lot 18; no more.

Have i to cut the spring?

Spring with 10 coils (ISMI or Wolff), SVI follower and SVI or someother pad with SVI magazine and you'll get reloadable mag qith 18 rounds.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh how often do you change the followers? I also use the same setup using STi tubes. However lately I have been getting paranoid about the SV followers popping out during a match. (knock on wood!) When I disassemble the mag to clean it, the followers pop off from the spring at the slightest touch. A friend has epoxied the follower to the spring but it usually means it's stuck in there permanently. Is there anything that you do to keep it in place? Thanks in advance!

Ahtsay :

Is the top coil of your springs cut the propper way ?

Check out SV website, they explain the way the spring has to be cut to lock into the follower.

HSMith :

You mean there are some specials springs for IPSC short mags ?

Rescomp tube, Bolen followers with international springs, dawson pads and you got a 20 rounders, right ?

Might give it a try ! :goof:

Edited by Julien Boit

Thanks Julien :) However by cutting the edge of the spring at the 12:00 position, doesn't it reduce the "grip" of the spring on the follower? By cutting the spring, only one side of the spring holds onto the follower correct? :wacko: What advantages are there in cutting the spring besides making it easier to attach the follower to the mag? My current setup is with un-cut springs andso far so good. Maybe I should try the cut springs and see.

Julien are you going to use your Bolen mag set-up in Bali? :D

19 rounds reloadable is good enough for me! But if HSSmith can get 20 in a Rescomp, please share the setup with us also :P

ahts i have tested it. if you have a sight tracker it will work but you dont so it wont work. svi rescomp and sps tube with plus 2 sv basepad 19 reloadable on all. but sticks out of the box on a 3 top svi.

spend it on your practice.

i have a 19 non reloadable which was flawless till the bolo cup. from that day on i now just load 18

• 1 month later...
With 11 coil uncut springs and follower I am getting 19 in a tuned SV short mag with SV +2 wedge pad, snug but seats easily. 19 easily reloadable in Rescomp short mag with SV +2 wedge, 20 snug with Bolen 10 coil International spring and Dawson wedge pad. International springs are a month to 6 weeks out for commercial sale.

Anything new about the springs ?

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions for you guys :

- Anybody knows if the Bolen followers are caliber specific ?

- If so, comparing to Gram's kits (follower end spring), what's the benefit ?

- Anybody tried it in a IPSC box legal SV 40sw magazine ?

I am told from dealers that all bolen followers are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I can get 21 rounds in an SV or an SPS mag with Bolen follower/spring and 4mm basepad. One of the followers works fine with either mag, the other follower and spring allows one or two rounds to get underneath the follower every time I load it no matter whether it is an SV or SPS mag. I even tried a replacement spring and no luck.

The same thing happened to my buddies tuned 170 STI tube the first time he tried it out. The round got underneath the follower and jammed up the gun.

It seems like the Bolen spring causes the follower to dip and allows a round to get underneath.

Any ideas as to how I can fix the problem?

Eric

Cutting the spring won't help much. Your best bet to get capacity will be to have the mag tuned, there has to be someone in Europe that can do it?

With 11 coil uncut springs and follower I am getting 19 in a tuned SV short mag with SV +2 wedge pad, snug but seats easily. 19 easily reloadable in Rescomp short mag with SV +2 wedge, 20 snug with Bolen 10 coil International spring and Dawson wedge pad. International springs are a month to 6 weeks out for commercial sale.

Hi!

Is there any news on the 10 coil international springs? I still can't find them on Manny USA, Millennium Custom or Speedshooter homepages. Thanks in advance!

Yours,

Raudi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I talked to Bolen about the 10 coil the other day, it will be several more months before the production run is made. The prototypes worked great he said but he is going to wait to order the production run until he is getting low on 11 and 13's to keep the costs in line with what people would expect to pay. If he ordered them now as a special run they would be significantly more expensive to the customer.

• 3 weeks later...

quote]

Did you have to disable the "lock back" on the slide stop?

I'm curious about this to, when I installed the bolen followers my slide locks back with one round still in the mag. I'm guessing that the slide stop has to be ground down so that this doesn't happen?

Bill

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

Since it is more than 2 months ago, since we had the last update on the international springs, I'd like to inquire, whether there is any news, as to when the production run has been or will be made.

Thanks in advance for any info.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Howard :

Did you have to do some work on the Bolen springs for your setup with Rescomp tube ?

I assembled two mags with Rescomp tube, Schuwiduu pad and Bolen 11 coils kit.

Until I bend one coil of the spring to get the follower to seat straight up, I had one round slipping between the follower and the body each and every time I loaded the mag at 17 or 18 rounds.

Now, it looks Ok, but I have to test fire them and have the spring to settle a bit to get the 19th round inside.

• 1 month later...