Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maintaining Energy During Match

Howdy all,

This is my first post since I started shooting SASS matches. I have been at SASS for a year or so and here is what I have noticed. Most of the matches have 5 or 6 stages and the pace is very fast, (no need to go down range to score and tape). Anyhow along about the 4th or 5th stage I begin to lose my focus. Also the adrenilane rush feels stronger after I have shot a stage. This is causing less than optimum performance on these stages. I am staying hydrated and as cool as possible. I suspect modifying my diet the day before and the morning of the match might help. What about supplements, would calcium and/or potasium possibly help? I know this is sort of specialized info but figured the folks here would or could help if anyone could:)

By the way I am 45 years old, not over weight and in reasonably good shape. I live and compete in the San Joaquin Valley where it gets hot in the Summer. But the loss of energy seems to happen all year around.

I have a 2 day match on the 3-4 of July so all help is appreciated.

Your pard,

SJS

Hydration is only part of the picture...albiet a VERY important part. You may actually not be keeping up on the hydration as well as you think. Science tells us that by the time you are feeling thirsty you are already significantly dehydrated. So, you may wish to increase your hydration rate over what you are doing. On an average day I try to drink 1 liter of water per every 3 stages. This seems to be working for me but every person has to figure out where they need to be as physiology and local environment have a huge impact here. I am a MAFG (Middle Aged Fat Guy) and definately NOT a physically fit athlete so my needs are radically different than an athletically fit individual.

Part 2 is where food rolls across the stage. I have become a big fan of Power Bars. For breakfast before match day I tend toward more protien. Bacon/sausage and eggs with a piece of toast (or a couple bacon/sausage & cheese biscuits at McD's for the lazy or time challenged) seems to be a good start. For me, long lasting energy is tied more into protien and fat than carbs. I then eat a Power Bar around stage 3. This has really helped me keep the energy level up and the brain in focus. Again, physiology will have a huge impact here so you need to figure out what works for you.

I personally do not like full-strength Gatorade or such "sports drinks". They are too sweet with too much of a straight sugar hit. If I am doing Gatorade I dilute it down to 2/3 or 1/2 strength.

There are also the gelled supplements like Power Goo which a lot of people like. I haven't tried them, yet.

Keep in mind that when you feel the fade coming on that nothing is going to be instantaneous in bringing you back to "sharp". The big trick (which I have yet to master) is to figure out how to stay just ahead of the energy curve to maintain peak performance for as long as possible.

Also, be careful of coffee. Too much can really mess things up. If you are a coffee addict then be sure to have "enough". Your body is expecting some caffeine and if you don't deliver you won't have a good day.

Caffiene is proven to increase mental acuity up to a point and then as caffeine level increases beyond maximal things fall off dramatically. For more on this see Goodman and Gillman: Handbook for the Pharmacology of Theraputics (I think that is the title...I know the authorship is correct).

Chocolate contains theobromine which is a close cousin to caffeine and can cause similar effects (not to mention all that sugar!). Tea contains theophylline, another caffeine cousin and another thing to watch out for but which can be beneficial in its own way.

Hope that helps.

I've tried that Power Goo stuff exactly once. It made me crash so fast and so hard I was worthless. Some guy gave it to me before a swim session and I was so wasted I damn near drowned in 4 feet of water.

I try to avoid a lot of the sugars and high energy stuff unless I'm just really in the ditch. I don't deal well with sugar hits. Apparently, it's a phenomena that gets worse with age.

- Lots of people are sleep deprived

- Certain carbs (especially simple sugar...fructose, etc. ) spike the blood sugar level...which triggers an insulin response...which make you crash.

- Big meals... :(

- Long periods of time (more than 3 hours) between meals... :(

- Grazing is good. I try to keep some jerky...or even some trail mix...in the range bag. But don't go hog wild on it...especially the trial-mix (contains fats & carbs...which will divert resources to the digestive system). A little...every so often...goes a long way.

- You can't hardly get too much water in your system...I try to drink so much that I have to take a leak before I shoot each stage (which means I don't get enough hydration during the week...but that's another story)

- I gotta mention this...Gatoraide is NOT like most of the other sports drinks (if you can even call the others "sports drinks"...marketing). Gatoraide is less than a 5% carb solution. Most all of the other "sports drinks" are simple sugars...pretty much the same as drinking a Pepsi. Water is free and works. Some like the flavor of Gatoraide (maybe they drink more). Some like to cut Gatoraide with water. Whatever you do, drink twice as much as yuo think you need.

I've been playing with Goo and have had good results thus far. I am 30 and in decent physical condition. I was worried that the caffeine in Goo would make me squirrely, or more so than usual, because I have a very limited caffeine intake (green tea and some occassional chocolate), but it actually seems to help.

As a side note, I was squadded at the Virginia Summer Blast with a big guy who was looking pretty bad by the last stage; I offered him a Goo, he took it and did really good on that last stage, he seemed VERY impressed by the Goo...it returned his energy and mental focus. It certainly may have had a placebo effect, but maybe not...

Yes, it does get harder to remain alert as a trying day goes on as you age.

In my later years of heavy competition, my technique was to eat a moderate breakfast consisting of mostly protein and a small amount of carbs - one piece of toast max. If I was drinking coffee consistently at that time, I'd have a cup, just enough to not feel "deprived" of my daily dose of caffeine. I'd drink A LOT of water during the day. I never followed a formula, but just drank more than I felt like I should. I'd eat maybe about half a Balance bar every hour or hour and a half or so; this would keep my blood sugar level steady so I'd never feel full but never hungry. Avoid Power(type) bars, as they are mostly carbs/sugar. I'd avoid a steady diet of ANY drink that contained any sugar, instead drinking lots of water. I may sip a Gatorade now and then, if I felt like it, but would never drink it regularly. If I had to shoot all day, I'd make sure I'd eat a "balanced" lunch, meaning low in carbs and sugar. Using this system I was able to shoot some grueling matches - all day in 95 degree + weather - and feel as good at the end as I did at the beginning. But if I had one stage to go and for whatever reason felt depleted, I'd shoot down a half a package of Goo about 5 to 7 minutes before I shot. Be careful of this stuff though, as it will drop you like a rock if you're not doing strenuous activity, like climbing a mountain for example. Which is what it was engineered for.

If you're really interested in maintaining a steady energy level throughout the day, read Barry Sears's book about his method of eating a "balanced" diet. I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but I'm sure someone will.

be

I think I read in Men's Health or Maxim once that you are properly hydrated when "you drink water til you piss Evian". There's a lot of truth there.

I know that this is more for endurance athelets (long distance runners, cyclists, hockey, footbal), but has anyone explored carb loading? I've read where its still unproven, but basically (or one version of it) what you do is deprive your system of any carbs for 3-5 days prior to your event, which means basically fats and protein (a la Adkins), and then the day before you just go nuts on complex carbs. I would think you would have to have a monster metabolism to pull something like that off.

Although its pretty simple, a folding chair might be well worth it. I can always tell when I'm getting fatigued is when the back of my knees are on fire. Standing around all day, then shooting and pasting, is a lot of work.

Dave brings up a great point about the chair. Somewhere to take a load off, even for a little bit (while somebody shoots) can help a ton.

I'd skip the carb loading for our sport though. :huh:

BE's plan sounds like a good guideline to follow.

ok, I just tried the goo tonight (Power Gel specifically)

I took it about 10 minutes before I started working out. I should preface by saying that I worked a 12 hr day, at a desk, so I didn't expend a whole load of energy. I had the Strawberry Bannana w/ Caffine. I'm a pretty heavy smoker too (after I get used to the diet I'm on, smoking next on my 'kill list').

Well, its been about 2 hours and I'm starting to come down, rather rapidly. I usually haven't been able to wind down till after 11 pm (its 10 now). I felt really good during my workout and afterward for about an hour, and have really only noticed coming down in the last 15 minutes. I feel safe taking it now. If I get a pooped during the Mid-Atlantic match this weekend, I think I look to the goo. I didn't experience a rush of energy, it was more like it helped me maintain during the workout. I've taken smilax (sp?) and Ultimate Orange before. Those imparted more of a rush and gave me the gitters (I wasn't smoking at the time) and was worked out pretty hard.

I was suprised by the consistency. Its not pasty, but its not gell or gooey like I expected. Its more the consistency of a bannana after you've had a couple of chews. It does down easy and tastes pretty decent.

I have some non-caffinated that I'll try tomorrow night and report back.

Peanut butter, fruit juice... The power bars kimel mentioned are very good, too, as they're usually loaded with soy and peanut butter as their easily-digestable protein source. Lots of water NEVER hurts (unless the porta-potties have been placed too far away). Carbs...? Spread that peanut butter on hefty, rustic, multi-grain breads. Better a long day with several small balanced meals than a couple of big ones that overload the system and take blood away from the brain and extremities. I dunno about you but I still need my brain and my upper extremities to shoot well and overstuffing before a match is downright uncomfortable. :wacko::wacko:

I'm sure there is not a *one size fits all* answer. I live in TX, and we have *only* grueling matches in 95-110 deg, 100% humidity weather. So going up to Barry in July is like shooting in a cool climate...

I found I do best with very little or no eating except for a moderate, balanced breakfast and a few breakfast bars (avoid the really sugary ones, but I also don't like the protein-only ones). From there on, water or thinned-out Gatorade all the time, every couple of minutes...

--Detlef

Boy Howdy! There's too many things that you can do/take to keep your energy levels up to list here. One of the things I like about being involved with a medical professional/nutrician nut, is the way she has changed my eating habits. I'm tall, slim, and have a fairly high metabolic rate (sometimes it's a blessing, other times NOT!). One of the things that she has tought me is; when you exert yourself replenish your energy supply. IOW, after each stage, eat a snack! Don't Junk your diet, but snack on things like Trail Mix, Peanut Butter crackers (a little carb goes a long way), HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE! Without the water you lose muscle coordination, reflexes, focus, and in hot or stressful conditions--> Conciousness or life!

My rule of thumb is, if I do a little activity eat a little and if I do a lot eat a little more (we're not looking at mealtime here. :D ) Keep the water flowing, yes that DOES mean both ways because when you sweat, the toxins can build in the system and cause some real health problems, not to mention what they can do to your game.

Have a drink on me,

Glockn...

Thank you folks, I appreciate your input:)

All the suggestions sound good. I will definately increase my water and try some Balance bars.

While reading all the posts, it has occured to me I have a fast metabolism. Probaly I am starving my body due to the increased exertion shooting stages and such. I shot IPSC/IDPA with local clubs before starting cowboy action. There are generaly more stages in cowboy, the stages take longer to complete and the posse's (squad's) move from stage to stage at a faster rate. I am probaly exerting myself just beyond what I am conditioned to. I bring water but seldom much to eat. food may be part of the answer. I will try the balance bars along with trail mix, jerky and perhaps some fresh fruit.

I have a gun cart with a built in seat and umbrella (shade) so that part is covered.

Thanks again, shoot staight and often,

SJS

Whenever in a match, I usually shoot half of the stages in the morning,eat a heavy lunch, and shoot the other half in the afternoon (for one day matches).

Now the problem is this.... I just noticed that my performance before lunch is usually a whole lot better than after it. What puzzles me is that the lunch is suppose to act as the replenishment for the energy lost during the morning runs. However, what happens after lunch instead, is I get sleepy and tired. This feeling is what costs me the afternoon runs.

During matches in our place, the standard lunch menu primarily consists of lots of rice, "lechon" (roasted pig), fried chicken, "dinuguan" (pig intrails and blood) and bottles of coke. Basically, with all these food, you're supposed to regain energy.... correct? But it just doesn't seem to work for me. And if I choose to skip lunch and continue to run all the stages, I'd loose focus because of hunger.

Anybody with suggestions that might help improve my "after-lunch- runs?

Nothing like a good, hearty lunch of pig intrails smothered in blood to keep up my shooting performance. I have a problem with cramping. As long as I drink as much gatorade as I can, I don't have the problems. Gatorade, Power Bars, a bananna, apple and a few cookies are what I put in my cooler every match day and, I feel great all day.

Let's see what's happening...

Morning, shoot, don't snack, energy supply dwindles, blood sugar levels drop, dehydration.....

Noon, Eat big meal, get tired performance wanes.

The reason this is happening is because the body needs time to absorb the neutrients you have supplied by eating lunch. At this point, your body requires what little energy it has remaining to metabolize the new energy source (lunch), so it causes you to slow or get tired to allow absorbsion to take place.

Solution: Snack during the morning and stay Hydrated. DON'T eat a big lunch! If you need to eat that much at lunch, you haven't done your part in keeping the energy up with snacks. Learn how to BALANCE your energy supply/demand. Stay hydrated...

Hope this helps..

Glockn...

Ok, here is what I had today during the Mid Atlantic Sectional, between 5:30 am and 5:00 pm

Breakfast: 1 slice of cold pizza and water (hey, I'm in a hotel room for crying out loud!!!)

Match: CamelBak (100oz) half and half water and Gatorade. Finished all of it in the morning.

Lunch: Water and a Luna Bay (soy protein and other gobbledeyguk).

Afternoon: more water and Gatorade via CamelBak and 1 packet of PowerGel (aka 'goo', but no caffine) between stage 7 & 8. Gave me a nice little boost, but didn't make feel like a Saturn V rocket was lit under me.

This was an all day match and it was very warm and almost no wind. However, this is the best I have ever felt at any match, ever!!! I have been more tired after a regular 4 stage club match than I was today. It was great.

During matches in our place, the standard lunch menu primarily consists of lots of rice, "lechon" (roasted pig), fried chicken, "dinuguan" (pig intrails and blood) and bottles of coke. Basically, with all these food, you're supposed to regain energy.... correct?

Hey, sounds like a typical Philippine probinsya-type (non-metro) lunch setting. I agree about not eating too much. However, your lunch menu is too good to be eating just small quantities. I suggest you change your menu to something that doesn't make you eat too much.

Oh, btw, your lunch + beer = very good. But beer + match = not advisable.

:ph34r::lol:

The "carb loading" routine was designed for athletes actually running races, not for folks setting around all day and now and then doing something stressful for 10 to 30 seconds. My vibe would be to stay completely away from that routine for IPSC shooting.

be

The "carb loading" routine was designed for athletes actually running races, not for folks setting around all day and now and then doing something stressful for 10 to 30 seconds. My vibe would be to stay completely away from that routine for IPSC shooting.

be

Yea it should be more like twinkies, beer (non-alcholic of course), donuts, and the like for IPSC :)

All of this dietary information is important. I like to go the high protien, low carb route. But, that's pretty much how I eat everyday, so it's easy. And I agree that hydration is an absolute must. But, here is something unrelated to nutrition that I've noticed about my own energy level.

Earlier this month I got up at 2:00 am and drove 5 hours to shoot one of my favorite matches. I shot 8 stages between 8:00am and 4:00 pm. Then drove 5 hours back home. My legs were starting to get a little weary by the last stage, but my shooting was still spot-on.

When I used to get all keyed up emotionally before and during a match, I would feel exhausted by mid-afternoon. I still get a little of the "first stage jitters", but nothing like I used to feel. For the last year or so, I just don't get all that concerned about trying to win. Winners are determined months in advance by their level of preparation. If you are fully prepared, you know exactly what you're capable of doing, and you just do it. No stress. No exhaustion. And it's way more fun!

We are shooters of all ages and levels of physical condition. The one common denominator that could make even the most well nourished and well rested of us feel tired, is the adreanaline crash. I used to be a real adreanaline junkie. (My wife says I've reached 44 without having a mid-life crisis because I didn't stop doing crazy s#!t till after I was 40.) There aren't too many things that make your limbs feel as heavy and slow as the "crash" that follows the adreanaline shakes. I'm betting that this is the energy drain that alot of competitors have to deal with later on in a match. If you think this description fits you, then you might want to give some thought to when you care about winning. What I'm saying is this: If you care enough to prepare, and understand how prepared you are, you won't need to fret about anything come match day. And without the adreanaline stirring around in your system, you shouldn't feel any more tired than after a day out plinking in the gravel pit with your buddies.

• 2 weeks later...

rishii,

I'm trying to minimize my cholesterol intake for health reasons. However, mcoliver can attest that those kinds of food are very hard to resist. Especially during lunch break on an exhausting match day.

disclaimer... this is from an overweight old fart....and CHECK with your Doctor....I find that I can maintain my mental acuity much better with supplimentary potassium in the form of potassium glutonate (check with your MD) I take 1/2 a tablet along with a Ca, Mg, Zn suppliment...for a strenuous 2 day match like Kyle's I like an egg sandwich for a lite breakfast, make sure that the CamelBak is on and that you start hydrating before the first stage, drink a GatorAde about noon, and a banana if possible, refil the CamelBak, a pack of peanut butter crackers approximately every 2 hours the rest of the afternoon, another GatorAid about 1600....a bandana dipped in the ice water does wonders to keep your body temp out of the red line...back at the motel, keep hydrating till it comes out clear.....proper clothing is important....for Florida pistol matches, shorts, and a vent back fishing shirt (long sleeve if shade is scarce) and a good vented, wide brimmed hat (baseball caps were probably the cause of my first skin cancer)....good ankle supporting shoes do a lot to diminish overall fatigue by the end of the day.... for Kyle's match, I'll have on some BDU style pants, and I've found that when I wear elbow pads they cut a lot of air circulation off, so I wear short sleeve shirts...to keep my strong hand as dry as possible I wear a large tennis wrist band, and to keep the sweat out of my eyes, a sponge sweat band....a gun cart allows you to transport a lot of stuff that on first viewing might seem frivolous.... but with temps in the 90's and humidity about the same, not having to hump gear on your shoulders, and having a flex sided cooler and camp chair available means the difference between a fun match and survival... regards Les

mabuhai.... I'll have some pansit and a San Miguel....