Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blackhawk mag pouches.

Julien Boit

Hi all,

Anybody got any experience with the Blackhawk mag pouches for a SVI ?

I saw Todd Jarrett using them, but if anybody got first hand experience, I'd like to have your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

4106-MAG_3.JPG

Edited by Julien Boit

I actually use them for Glock mags but I love them. The tensioner is great on the ones I use. When I pull the mag out it almost feels like its popping out into my hand. I dont know if this is different for SVI mags.

I use the SS version and really like them. Mine seem to have loosened up a bit from use. Initially they are pretty tight, but just a little/moderate use and they are like butter.

YMMV

Todd shortens them for easier in and out.

I'm not surprised. Just looking at them, in stock form they cover way too much of the mag body for a fast draw of the spare ammo.

I never shoved my mags all the way into these pouches. You can push them about half way and the tension spring holds them in just fine. It just became part of my routine to check them while I was checking everything else at the start position of the stage.

I used two of these in my SS rig. For their cost they are a good alternative but way too deep. Before seeing what TJ does to his, I did the same to mine. Applied my trusty dremel to the front and removed about 1.5" of the front face of the pouch. Retention isn't compromised because the tension leaf spring does a great job of keeping the mag in there until needed.

My Production set up is a Blackhawk CQC holster and 6 CQC mag holders. I'd LOVE To cut my mag holders down a bit like this but forgive me for being a little clueless when it comes to certain tools. What kind of Dremel and bit accessories should I look for at the store?

I don't know why I didn't think of that either! I'm a Paramedic with access to LOTS of 4x4 gauze pads, so I took 3 of them,folded them in 3rds and then rolled it up and stuffed it down the Blackhawk mag pouch. So now my mags are elevated enough to where they are still secure but will pop right out into my hand when I grab them. I'll have to do more testing at home dry firing to make sure that they WON'T pop out if I'm running, but for now this is a cheap fix that works! Thanks for the idea!

Heck, I just stuffed paper towel down in the bottom of mine so the mags didn't go in as far. :unsure:

Solution is too easy and doesn't allow for dremelling... :wacko:

Embrace your inner dremel :ph34r: