Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heck, Ghost Dog, at least we could visually determine the the cloaked Zen Master of the other avitar, but some of us are just getting a headache tryin' to figure out what the heck this thing is.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a depiction of the Eternal Swan from the Secret Doctrine?

"It is the ONE LIFE, eternal, invisible, yet Omnipresent, without beginning or end, yet periodical in its regular manifestations, between which periods reigns the dark mystery of non-Being; unconscious, yet absolute Consciousness; unrealisable, yet the one self-existing reality; truly, "a chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason." Its one absolute attribute, which is ITSELF, eternal, ceaseless Motion, is called in esoteric parlance the "Great Breath,"* which is the perpetual motion of the universe, in the sense of limitless, ever-present SPACE. That which is motionless cannot be Divine. But then there is nothing in fact and reality absolutely motionless within the universal soul."

Cranes, even three cranes specifically, are all over various cultural mythologies and symbolism, but especially Asian. Celtic and Welsh mythology have a bull accompanied by the three cranes. But knowing benos, I don't think he borrowed it from Western mythology. I'm pretty sure it's got to do with Zen Buddhism.

Ok how about?

Moo Duk Kwan System.

The three cranes are physically bound by an overriding philosophy that all facets of training, like all facets of the universe, are interrelated. The circle represents this unity. The design is that of a tsuba (hilt guard) which is the defensive component of the Japanese sword. It symbolizes readiness but reluctance to engage in combat / conflict.

The circle also represents the never ending path of growth and learning. The student becomes a teacher, but also becomes a student again on a different level, hence the repeating spiral of student - teacher - student. The three major qualities of a martial artist should be responsibility, sincerity, and justice. One should always maintain a beginners mind with a willingness to always learn, realizing the more you learn, the less you know.

This sounds very BEish

Professionally Cut and Pasted by Govt Agents:

The AMS Symbol represents the inherent qualities of the Moo Duk Kwan System. The circle with the three cranes symbolize the three major areas of training: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, and Japanese Swordsmanship. Each of these areas also have three divisions. Tae Kwon Do can be broken up into art, sport, and self defence, Aikido into empty-hand techniques, staff techniques, and sword techniques, while swordsmanship consists of Iaido (kata), Kenjutsu (combative partner exercises / bokken), and Kendo (sport fencing - Shinai).

The three cranes are physically bound by an overriding philosophy that all facets of training, like all facets of the universe, are interrelated. The circle represents this unity. The design is that of a tsuba (hilt guard) which is the defensive component of the Japanese sword. It symbolizes readiness but reluctance to engage in combat / conflict.

The circle also represents the never ending path of growth and learning. The student becomes a teacher, but also becomes a student again on a different level, hence the repeating spiral of student - teacher - student. The three major qualities of a martial artist should be responsibility, sincerity, and justice. One should always maintain a beginners mind with a willingness to always learn, realizing the more you learn, the less you know.

The three intertwined cranes motif IS an established Japanese family crest. I don't happen to have either the date or the family name at this point, but have two research confirmations of at least that much.

Additionallly, "The (Japanese) Family Crest or "Ka-Mon" has a history dating back to the 12th century. The crests were of symbolized designs representing flora, plants and animals. The crests belonged to the male of the family and identified its members. The crests played an important role in battle as they were was used to distinguish allies and enemies. The crests later developed into more complex designs as sons carried on the family crest and added their own variations to the design."

:)

AMS is a hybrid, it is similar to Jute Kune Do, there is no pattern or set way, it is a combination of all patterns. This is the reason Bruce Lee could actually kick someones butt. When he developed JKD he had a standing offer to beat all challengers. His creative thinking (thinking outside the norms) allowed him to utilize known standard methods of doing things in a different way that fit him best. Just as you change the grips on your gun [the gun being the known standard] to customized grips [the new twist on a known standard] that fit you, you create a new gun that works better for you than any other person.

Proffessionally Cut and Pasted by Govt Agents:

Jeet Kune Do--the literal translation is "way of the intercepting fist"--was conceived by Bruce Lee in 1967. Unlike many other martial arts, there are neither a series of rules nor classification of techniques which constitutes a distinct Jeet Kune Do (JKD) method of fighting. JKD is unbound; JKD is freedom. It possesses everything, yet in itself is possessed by nothing. Those who understand JKD are primarily interested in its powers of liberation when JKD is used as a mirror for self-examination.

Jeet Kune Do is not a new style of kung-fu or karate. Bruce Lee did not invent a new art composite style, nor did he modify a style to set it apart from any existing method. His concept was to free his followers from clinging to any style, pattern, or mold.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought Tae Kwon Do was a Korean martial art NOT Japanese like Aikido, Kenjutsu and Kendo.

Enlighten me Sensei…

Ed

TKD is Korean, that is correct, however you can still fly a Korean flag on a Japanese made flagpole...

I am getting to Zen...must be the Jack Daniels.

Guessing it is a symbol found in this book:http://www.thejapanpage.com/html/book_dire...ailed/537.shtml

Further research shows it is a symbol from the dust jacket of the VHS tape/DVD Ghost Dog.

See: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005QC...01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000...9Q9.03.LZZZZZZZ

Additionally it is the tattoo on Ghost Dogs arm

See:http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=...634&cat=1011982

Digging Further:ghost_dog_1.jpg

Even Deeper:Hagakure-hc-1cmh-RGB.jpg

Really Really Deep:017_GHOSTDOG_PROMO_a.jpg

Moo Duk Kwan System, I got pretty close, but the symbol I found was the same but had the circle on the inside of the cranes (similiar to the one on the cover of the Hagakure) :( So the Ghost Dog is a Moo Duk Kwan disciple?

Yehaaa! Nice work kaiserb!

I thought - "All depicted where?" was a hint. But I guess it was a bit weak...

I "chose" pink because that was the color of the scan I lifted from a friend's CD.

And I was happy to see I was recognized as being "secure in my manhood" for using pink.

;)

I did get a copy of the Hagakure after seeing the movie. Interesting reading...

I did get a copy of the Hagakure after seeing the movie. Interesting reading...

...and the rest of the Enosverse is now online with B&N to get their copies!! :)