Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid fathers/Having a loaded gun pointed at me

Neomet

I am just freaking fuming :angry2::angry2::angry2:

I was shooting at our local range and a dad brought in his two youngish sons to shoot. Maybe early teens. They obviously have never touched a gun before. He then hands them either a 9mm or a 40 compact Glock. I watch as both of the boys back almost completely out of the shooting stall from their reaction to the recoil. The younger one then breaks the 180 and the older one does the same. An RO comes up and at least gets them to hold the gun in something other than a teacup grip. The younger one then gets hit with a piece of ejected brass, spins 180 degrees with gun in hand. Having completed his piroette he drops the gun onto the ground where it lands with the barrel pointing directly at me. The RO gets the gun and clears it then tells the young shooter that even if the brass is hot he has to keep the gun pointed downrange because it ended up pointing at me.

My drawers are still a little tan colored if ya know what I mean.

Okay, if you are going to bring your boys to the range that is absolutely great. My dad did it for me and I did it for my daugher. If however you are going to start your 55 pound boy off with a .40 subcompact and think you are doing anything constructive you are a moron. If during the course of your trip to the range your son manages to have his loaded weapon pointed at another human your reaction should be a little bit more than a stern frown and a "don't do that again". I don't know about you guys but I still remember when my dad chewed my ass out for a solid 20 min in his best DI manner because I moved back towards my .22 rifle after we had opened the actions and were headed downrange to look at the targets. In my defense I was going back for my Coke but the message was still delivered in such a manner that I never, ever, ever did anything like that again. And that is the way it should be. He wasn't correcting me about not throwing to the relay man from left field, he was telling me not to do something that could kill someone. As far as those kids cared they were shooting nerfguns at the range.

I'll quit now as I am just spewing and not really making any sense......... Where's my vodka??????

Edited by Neomet

I have a question. Why do people freak out when they see what we do in the pits but yet these yocals get away with this crap at your typical bench range? If we did something like that we are done for the day. These kids did it several times and just keep on going?

First of all daddy dumb bass needs to teach them with air pistol or .22 at the least. Putting a sub compact glock into a kids hands is nuts. Now I've seen a couple young kids shoot our matches with glocks that look bigger than them and they have no problems with the safety procedures! :cheers: Born dumb, raised dumb, stay dumb. :angry2:

Edited by steel1212

The ONLY time I use a public range is when they cordon off a large section for competitors to sight in.

It's all good for some folks. That's cool. But once you've been swept, well "shooting lanes" just ain't for me.

Thankfully my club has provisions for experienced shooters to practice self supervised in our respective bays.

Jim M

Neomet, I'm sorry to hear about your situation at the range. People like that irritate me, especially the ones who try to deny the fact that they are unsafe. When that happens I have to kick them off the range. What I really dislike is all the stupid f%$ks on Youtube who put up videos of shooting while intoxicated, or doing something outrageously unsafe. These kind of people make me sick and they shouldn't be allowed to own firearms. These kind of people are going to make it harder for people like us.

I saw a guy at "The Public Range" get out of his car with a small group of

boy scouts and take an uncased SKS out of the trunk. Holding it like a fishing rod

or something he proceeded to sweep everyone around, including the kids, as he

headed towards the entry point where th R.O. told him to hold that thing muzzle up.

The R.O. then noticed that the action was closed and instructed him keep it open when

he's moving it around vehicle etc.. So the guy goes oh ok sorry about that, then removes

the "ROUND FROM THE CHAMBER" and the other 9 from the mag !!!! :surprise::surprise::surprise:

:blink::blink::sick:

Got to wonder why the range RO didn't send the whole family home for the day after the first 180 infraction and sure as hell after the second. Bad enough the moron dad didn't do anything but the RO!

CYa,

Pat

The ONLY time I use a public range is when they cordon off a large section for competitors to sight in.

It's all good for some folks. That's cool. But once you've been swept, well "shooting lanes" just ain't for me.

Thankfully my club has provisions for experienced shooters to practice self supervised in our respective bays.

Jim M

Plus 1,, This is all to common at public ranges. Hence I never try (keyword- try) to go to public ranges or when my club is open the public. Thankfully,. that is only on the weekends.

There is no doubt this happens all the time. In recent memory I've seen people at the sporting goods store and at the local range wave guns around and sweep people.

Seems to me this is an education issue. The father probably thought he was doing a good thing introducing his kids to shooting. If he knew the basic safety rules, and if someone brought it to his attention that there might be a more appropriate gun for a kid to shoot, he would probably have acted differently.

It would have been tough to educate him tactfully and without making him look bad in front of his sons.

I work with my kids with an airsoft here at the house to make sure that once they're handing the real deal at the range (private bay) they're comfortable and it's second nature.

So far they do great and SHOOT SAFELY.