Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Consistency!

Speed is not the problem but I can't erase my " Mike's during stages. I have fast times but I always have one mike in every stages just like yesterday when I shot the Indiana State. Out of the ten stages, 5 stages I had one mike at least and the other stages I shot it clean. Any suggestions on how to minimize this and what do I need to practice to be more consistent? Thanks in advance and your expert advice especially from the GM'S and M's will be greatly appreciated.

Since I'm no M or GM either, i will abstain from giving advice on this (being guilty myself of the same).

I'll just ask to clear all possible doubts: how many Ds or Cs close to D-zone border did you score in the same 10 stages?

If the number is equal or more than the mikes, then it's not a consistency problem, but rather a groups problem.

You just have to shoot each shot until that shot is done. If you do you can shoot most or even all the points available. It doesn't take longer to do than shooting a D/M, the hard part is accepting that and being patient enough to shoot each shot until it is done.

You are probably leaving the D's and M's on the stage because you aren't seeing them though. If you don't know they are D's and M's you aren't calling your shots or not calling them consistently enough. I do it plenty, the thing that KILLS me in the matches is pulling off a target AS I am firing the shot. Sometimes I get a hit and sometimes I don't, and it is ALL a result of not finishing the shot before I move to the next shot.

I notice you did not list the number of C's and D's on the "clean" stages.

One of the problems is that you refer to getting hits on paper as shooting clean. Change this. Shooting clean is getting all A's, if you drop a point, you are not clean. It's all about adjusting your level of acceptability. Right now you see any hit on paper as a good hit as it is not a miss. Treat c's like you currently treat misses.

You just have to shoot each shot until that shot is done. If you do you can shoot most or even all the points available. It doesn't take longer to do than shooting a D/M, the hard part is accepting that and being patient enough to shoot each shot until it is done.

You are probably leaving the D's and M's on the stage because you aren't seeing them though. If you don't know they are D's and M's you aren't calling your shots or not calling them consistently enough. I do it plenty, the thing that KILLS me in the matches is pulling off a target AS I am firing the shot. Sometimes I get a hit and sometimes I don't, and it is ALL a result of not finishing the shot before I move to the next shot.

YES! Well put Mr. Smith.

I have wrestled with this for years.

I really like to thrill myself with the feeling of speed but am generally faster when in control and calling shots.

Patrick

You have to want to shoot "A"s and not think about anything else. If you are smooth, the speed will be there. I have struggled with this, seeing faster shooter with better times, try to keep up, I would drop to many points. Pulling off targets as I broke the shot as HSmith described. Last match I tried to just shoot "A"s It took me slightly longer, mainly because I took a long time with with my follow through. It was an eye opener on how fast you can go and still get the Alphas

shooting for a sense of speed is a killer..your front sight/dot needs to control your speed..

we all struggle with this..and as we get better..we start pulling those shoots tighter and gain points..

we can all shoot fast..we all don't shoot as accurate as we could..

Heck at yesterday's match..out of 125 rounds I fired..30 were not in the A.. :surprise:

I know on some of those..I flat out indexed over the top of the gun and kept scootin..

Aim small = miss small. See the spot you want to hit on the target (not the whole target itself), watch your sights lift in recoil and call the shot. Where the sight was when it lifted is where the bullet went, and if you aren't seeing this when you shoot you will continue to miss. And don't rush the seeing. Take whatever time you need to see what you need to see to make the shot. It's actually faster that way....

It's purely mental...I have found anyways. Once you learn to accept that your sights will dictate your speed and that the most important shot is the one you're taking, everything else starts to come together. A lot of folks perceive this as a huge drop in speed. However, how much more time does it take to move the gun from a D/M to an A....0.1, 0.2 seconds? That acceptance of "speed" is what is helping yield my improvement in visual patience.

Rich

One biggest problem is as mentioned by all of you is pulling out of the target while I'm shooting at it. I am always one step ahead of the target. I had 8 D's and 4 M's in the whole match.The other 2 M's was due to failure to engage due to a squibb load on the last target.

I just could not get over the hump. I am not concerned about the speed or the smoothness. Thanks again. Sometimes there is no follow through.

Edited by turbocomp38s

Speed is not the problem but I can't erase my " Mike's during stages. I have fast times but I always have one mike in every stages just like yesterday when I shot the Indiana State. Out of the ten stages, 5 stages I had one mike at least and the other stages I shot it clean. Any suggestions on how to minimize this and what do I need to practice to be more consistent? Thanks in advance and your expert advice especially from the GM'S and M's will be greatly appreciated.

This may help! Wanna-b-Speedy (Part II)