Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drunk drivers

Scooter

I saw that...

that is just crazy...driving drunk is a selfish act..and shows no regard for others or yourself...

God be with all the victims of drunk drivers..

Edited by eerw

I hate em too. Spent three years on crutches and in and out of hospitals after being broadsided by a drunk on my MC. My children have been raised that no matter what, I will come get them. No lecture no speech just a ride home if they had too much. It was also extended to their close friends. That is a funeral I never want to attend.

I have to admit, the things I consider to be unforgivable sins are driving drunk or molesting a kid.... and coincidentally, when they are caught, both start whining about how they are "sick" and "just need help".

Alcoholism may be a disease, but driving drunk isn't a disease. I wish they would give them stiffer sentences.

Edited by bountyhunter

ooof

un-pretty....

I guess I have never been able to understand why

"please forgive me. I was drunk at the time of the accident"

is considered mitigating circumstances.

I think the word pre-meditated covers the issue.

Remember,

This was an American driver but the incident happened in Mexico. I bet there is going to be some howling about him facing a Mexican court rather than an American one. Somehow I doubt there is going to be much considered mitigating in this one.

In my book - You do the crime, you do the time. If that means facing a Mexican Judge, or doing time in a Mexican Jail ........ so be it. :angry:

There is a chance that he isn't a American Citizen.

from the article:

"Campos (the drunk driver) said he is an American citizen living in Brownsville. The U.S. Consulate could not immediately confirm that. "

He may be hollering that so that he won't be tried as a Mexican citizen in a Mexican court. :angry2: That would be bad for him.

dj

About 10 years ago my Aunt was killed by a drunk driver as she was walking from her car to visit her son. The drunk driver had 7 previous DWI arrests and he served only 18 months for killing my aunt and he is still driving today. This is beyond my comprehension. :(:wacko:

I Lock em Up everytime I get the chance. Then the Lawyer games begin. Some win in court and some lose but none of em beat the ride downtown........................

When asked why I put so much emphasis on DUI's I tell them about the first serious collision I worked as a Rookie and about a seven year old boy named Justin who was decapitated by the actions of a drunk driver. Nuff said.

That accident was/is sickening. Heartbreaking.

We have a couple of good cops on the local muni force who are deeply passionate about not only busting drunk drivers as often as possible but in publicly discouraging DUI in the first place thru education and such. Truly, it IS a selfish and stupid act to drive intoxicated. It's not carelessness, it's high irresponsibility. Too many entirely innocent people have been destroyed by drunk driving incidents. It's awful.

Speaking of cops: we had a sheriff's deputy plow into a group of bike riders out her a short while back after he feel asleep at the wheel ON DUTY driving in the santa Cruz mountauins.... no publicized results of blood alcohol level. But, it turns out, he had a previous DUI bargained down to a misdemeanor so he could be an LE officer.

He was reported to have admitted to falling asleep at the wheel, and to appear disoriented after the accident. Morrissey said that Council, who had been on the force only 18 months, started his shift at 6:00 a.m. that morning and was scheduled to work until 6:30 p.m.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=fea...fornia_deaths08

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...0/MNKSVGTJ1.DTL

Edited by bountyhunter