Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Red Dots

Lee Watne

Who makes the hot setup for red dots these days on a flat top AR-15? You can spend from $100 to over $1000 on one. The Army seems to like Aimpoint and you can get them in two power magnification. Paralax at long range would be a bad thing.

If we're talking about nonmagnifying reddots, the EoTech Holosight is the hot setup. I'd put the Aimpoints in second place. Nothing else comes close.

ACOG TA11 is not really a "red dot sight." It's a scope with magnification (3.5-4X) with a fiber optic powered donut shaped reticle.

There is a lot of info/debate/conversation about the ultimate AR15 sight setup in this forum.

Given that I'm a doofus who has never won anything . . . and that I used a discontinued Tasco PDP5CMP . . .

I think the EoTech Holosight has an advantage in that you can get a 1 MOA reticle. I think the next smallest would be the 2 MOA you can get with C-Mores (I think!).

Otherwise they are all reliable and rugged, etc. etc.

I wish someone would make a 1 MOA dot with a 10 MOA donut around it. That would be cool.

Rhino:

Some of the best "shooters" I have ever known haven't "won" anything. As for dots the Eotech is about the best, for a battery sight! The TA-11 is 3.5 power only, but Kelly seem to want it to be a 3.5-4x variable, must be a Arizona thing, and fiber optics can't power anything, but they sure can show you the light! KURT

(disclaimer!!! this is jokeing with Kelly and should not be construed as a slight or slam on anyone or thing) D.R.

I put an EO tech on my AR and saw a noticeable improvement on short shots once I got use to it. I was surprised that I could still hit steel at 200 yards as well as I could with my iron sites. I prefer the dot to the donut.

Jim

Ok...which recticle? Does the "standard"...with the circle & dot...have a 1 MOA dot? How about the size of the circle with that one?

Is it a 60 minute circle and a 1 minute dot?

(EOtech, btw)

holo_reticles.gif

Oh...and to give credit where due...the image came from http://www.lesales.com/products/holosight.htm

I don't know anything about the company...just found the image with a google search. You might consider them if you are in the market.

The Aimpoint sight sucks! We have 75 of 'em and they are always broken. I have been using the EO Tech with the stadard reticle for 3 years and it is the Heat.

The Army calls the Aimpoint the "Close Combat Optic", or CCO. Feedback from SWA to date seems to indicate a preference for the ACOG NSN, given a choice between the two, primarily due to the ACOG's magnification and its battery free operation, FWIW. That may not have much to do with 3 Gun but I found it interesting.

Most of the operator types that shoot 3 Gun seem to really like the EOTech, and it seems to be the 1X optic of choice.

Some of the best "shooters" I have ever known haven't "won" anything

Hey Kurt, you must be talking about me? LOL. B)

We had the All Guard Team (National Guard Super Squad) here last week end at a High Power match and they said the holographic sight had no noticable paralax but the ACOG did. They must have been talking about the EOTech. There are two models, the 510 and the 552. There must be more difference than the batteries for $90.00. Which one do you guys use?

Here's a question . . .

If I want to slap an EoTech on a flat top in front of, say, a GG&G flip-up A2 style rear sight or a chopped A2 carry handle . . .

And I want the dot and irons to cowitness . . .

Will I need to put the rear sight on a riser to get it at the same level as the EoTech? Or will they align "as is"?

My AR has a cut down carry handle behind the EOTech, they cowitness "as is". The cowitness thing is nice, but it does make things a bit busy. :wacko:

I want to try it for a while to see if "cowitnessing" has any use for me in 3gun.

There are 4 models.

2 use AA batteries, which make the housing longer. One is Night Vision compatibile, the other is not.

The other 2 use N size batteries making the overall length anout an inch shorter. Again, one is NV Compatibile, the other is not.

The AA runs about 400 hours per pair. The N version is about 100 hours.

All 4 have the aluminum cage over the display area.

Now, If I could get a way the change reticles a little to see what's best.....

Tom

My AR has a cut down carry handle behind the EOTech, they cowitness "as is". The cowitness thing is nice, but it does make things a bit busy. :wacko:

I want to try it for a while to see if "cowitnessing" has any use for me in 3gun.

My current car gun (a Bushmaster AK Shorty) has a Tasco PDP5CMP hanging from a gooseneck mount from the carry handle, so it is also inline with the iron sights. Now THAT is a busy sight picture because in addition to the dot and irons, the mount occupies most of the channel in the carry handle (your line of view to the irons). It's almost impossible for me to focus on the front sight with the dot turned off unless I use the small aperture on the rear.

I'm going to replace it with a flat topped Bushmaster Super Lightweight Carbine if I can ever get one. Not having the carry handle and its mount will save weight and minimize clutter in the sight picture (I hope).

I have a GG&G with an Ashley same plane aperture already . . . so if I use it, I can either leave it locked in place, or fold it down when I feel like it. But, I might have the carry handle chopped too, so then I'd have a bit more rugged unit, plus I'd have some elevation adjustments from my zero.

We use the Aimpoint M2 (night vision) at work. We only have 5 on line, but have not had any problems. They are very popular with the troops. One thing to consider is that it is easier to adjust reticle/dot brightness with the M2 or ML2 (no night vision) vs. the Holo. Don't get me wrong, the Holo is great and we looked at them hard, but the controls are not as friendly, especially if you have to make a quick brightness adjustment should you go from the outside to inside a darker building for example. The push button pad on the Holo was not real easy to use, especially with a gloved hand. I understand there is to be a new Holo with improved controls. Another thing we liked about the M2 was that should the dot fail and you don't already have your BUSI in the up positon, you can use the tube body of the M2 or ML2 as a big ghost ring for CQB. The advantage of the Holo is that it does have a smaller center dot (standard reticle) for more precise longer range shooting.

Just my .02

Nick-

I used a Bushnell Holo last year, with the N batteries, but couldn't get anything like 100 hours of battery life.... excellent sight and extremely quick... I have pretty bad asthigmatism, and the dot was very consistent... worked well at North Carolina out to 180m weak eyed... this year Mike and I went with the compact ACOG TA44... 1.5 x 16 (gave the widest field of view) and amber triangle.... expensive, but sold a couple of things in the safe... the 1.5 power helps old tired eyes at distance, but doesn't overpower up close...works well for the distances we shoot down here... regards Les

"Cowitnessing" just saved my a** in Tucson's 3gun match Sunday. No light on the EoTech, pulled it off and shot iron.

I Won the class, maybe I should just shoot iron all the time. BTW I swapped in two new battery sets, still no light.

I am thinking about getting the mini ACOG, but I still like the EoTech best..... as long as it works. :angry:

Well, I got the EOTech Model 512. That's the one with AA batteries. I thought it was faulty untill I read the instructions which say to press firmly on the switches. I put it on a flat top AR-15 and sighted it in yesterday. It has no apparent paralax which can be a problem with dots and sometimes scopes. The retical was sharp without resorting to reading glasses or some kind of diopter lens that older shooters need with iron sights. The clicks seem to be honest. Also, I was impressed at how bright and how dim the dot can be. On the negative side, the switches are not very easy to use. I wouldn't want to have to swich it on if I was in a hurry however that shouldn't be a problem for me, I'm not a soldier or a cop. I think the two switches do too many things. Multi function switches are loved by some and hated by others. I never liked them, they are too complicated and I don't trust them.