Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster talk

zhunter

out of a "Real" holster...... :cheers:

I don't even use my DOH, without it, my Limited and SS is in the same place for a more seamless transition from SS to Limited when needed.

Race holsters are a DQ waiting to happen!!! And are not much if any faster.

:blizzard:

Race holsters are a DQ waiting to happen!!!

The type of holster has nothing to do with it. Lack of familiarity and practice and/or rushing is what causes DQ's to happen.

Guns DO fall/get knocked out of Race holsters, NOT Blade-Techs

The type of holster has nothing to do with it. Lack of familiarity and practice and/or rushing is what causes DQ's to happen.

Can I get a blade-tech for my open gun?

I am amazed that someone has not made a "safer/more reliable" holster for open guns!!!!

But not at this time you can't

I am amazed that someone has not made a "safer/more reliable" holster for open guns!!!!

The problem with this is that configurations very greatly even with the same gun. You would have to almost do a one off for a bunch of guns.

Jake,

I have throw in with Blizzard here, I have a Clark Long Slide wearing a dented AimPoint because an Ernie Hill holster did not retain it when I bent to pick up brass.

Michael

I've used nothing but race holsters going back many years for Open and Limited (even before Limited existed) and have never, ever dropped a gun. Not saying that it can't happen...knock on wood...but if you do your part, the difference is marginal at most.

Guns CAN get knocked out of a Blade-Tech, just has to happen in a different way that's a bit less likely.

Imagine maybe one of the tension screws loosening up (I have lent tools to plenty of folks to tighten them up) and then you start a stage with a weird position, secure in the knowledge that your holster won't drop a gun, you bend over to go prone or something like that, gun goes flying to the ground and you get to make the newest entry in "match screwups". There isn't a safety snap, or a lock on a Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac etc and one of these days it's going to bite someone HARD because they've heard over and over here about how there's no way a gun can come out of them. It's not true and it's unfair to say that because lots of people might actually believe it. Less likely, yeah a little bit, but still possible.

Back on topic, I haven't done any serious reload timing in a while, but in the past 1 flat wasn't too hard while practicing (Open or Limited rig and a touch slower with single stack). I always forget to check during classifiers, but I'd bet they're more like 1.2 or so...trying to bust out a .9 or something just increases the chance I'll blow it and trash a good run. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I knocked mine out of the holster on the range one day... I bent over and the Barry mount caught on my pocket. Damn thing hit the ground before I knew what happened. It was unloaded and I was resetting steal at the time. I called the RO over and he checked clear and reholstered it for me. To be fair, this was a problem with the adjustment on my rig and I have it more secure now. If pulled hard enough or caught it still could happen in the future. I'm mindful of it now.

Well first of all...having your gun fall out of your holster while you are picking up brass is not a DQ'able offense. Second of all, some race holsters are better than others, but to state that all race holsters across the board are unsafe is just inaccurate at best.

And BTW...I have seen several guns "fall" out of a Blade-Tech.

I know that I've done more practice and shooting with a race holster than most and I've never had the gun fall out.

Well first of all...having your gun fall out of your holster while you are picking up brass is not a DQ'able offense. Second of all, some race holsters are better than others, but to state that all race holsters across the board are unsafe is just inaccurate at best.

And BTW...I have seen several guns "fall" out of a Blade-Tech.

I know that I've done more practice and shooting with a race holster than most and I've never had the gun fall out.

I don't agree that race holsters are unsafe either... like anything it must be adjust/used properly.

As far as DQable... it is if you pick it up yourself. ;) I was pretty green when this happened, but I had read the rule book, so I knew what to do.

I watched an RO drop his gun out of Blade-Tech while he was ROing a stage. Back when I first started shooting USPSA I ran a borrowed Ernie Hill Speed rig and I was ALWAYS afraid of knocking my gun out of it but it never happened. My CR Speed rig feels a lot more secure to me. Yes things happen and guns get knocked out of any holster out there if things happen just right. :)

<end thread drift/>

I really need to get a timer out and do some reloads this next weekend.

Joe W.

Saw a guy get DQ'd in Elko two weeks ago with one. First stage too. OUCH!!!

Adios,

TG

Race holsters are NOT unsafe, just percentagewise, more likely to have a gun fall out than a Blade-tech style

You said race holsters were "a DQ waiting to happen".

All DQ's that I can think of are based upon an unsafe act or condition....kinda makes those two statements contradictory (not saying you meant that intentionally) :)

With an Open gun you would have to lift the gun a lot for the comp to clear a Blade Tech, I think that would be considerably slower than having to lift it half an inch to clear a LimCat/Ghost/SpeedSec type of holster.

After my gun fell out of my Safariland 012 I replaced it with a SSI Ribas holster. It has a positive lock that when engaged will not allow the gun to fall or be knocked out. The only drawback is you have to remember to disengage the lock before you try to draw.

Race holsters are NOT unsafe, just percentagewise, more likely to have a gun fall out than a Blade-tech style

Percentage wise I would take that bet. This is obviously an uneducated gross generalization. :wacko: Not all holsters are created equal. I have both blade-techs and a guga ribas "race holster". The guga is much less likely(zero chance) to release the gun when it is locked than the blade-tech(possible), which technically has no lock at all. The guga has a positive lock with a detent and the blade-tech is held by friction/fit only.

Hmmm. Just trying for 6000 posts now or is there some other good reason for this thread? :)

Edited by larry cazes

• 4 weeks later...

I remember seeing this somewhere :unsure: , a guy had a DOH "like" holster and cut the whole front off

(area covering the top of the slide) and was running an open gun with c-more...

Percentage wise I would take that bet. This is obviously an uneducated gross generalization. :wacko: Not all holsters are created equal. I have both blade-techs and a guga ribas "race holster". The guga is much less likely(zero chance) to release the gun when it is locked than the blade-tech(possible), which technically has no lock at all. The guga has a positive lock with a detent and the blade-tech is held by friction/fit only.

Hmmm. Just trying for 6000 posts now or is there some other good reason for this thread? :)

someone cooking crawfish?

;)

harmon

• 2 years later...

On page 8, upper left hand corner of the May / June 2010 Front Sight there is a picture of a Blade-Tech "race" holster w/ DOH from the 2010 SHOT. From the looks of it, the front of the holster is significantly cut down to allow for optics. It may not be far around the corner :cheers:

CAZ

• 11 months later...

I call BS. I have on video, a guy at a three gun match running A rifle stage and his (big name Production gun) falling out while running across the bay. I will not post it to save face.

Edited by bigbear_98

I don't shoot Open in 3-Gun I shoot Tactical with a Ghost or LimCat, but I will share my thoughts on the matter.

Confidence and peace of mind doing things common at a match - I feel best in the BladeTech, thow it in there and forget it, with the Bikini I'm always check to make sure its locked.

If we are talking Run Dodge and Jump, well I'd feel better with the Limcat or Ghost. With either of these two if it is locked you can pull the belt off over your head and the gun won't come out. Now if it is unlocked and you make a quick movement its in free fall.

I've owned 2 CR Speeds, and its easy to get the gun knocked out when tapeing targets when someone bumps you etc, sold them, Safari land 8, 12, and 13 not as good as the Ghost or LimCat. The platform speed holster is less likley to have a free fall setting steel than the Ghost or LimCat if either of those is not locked, when not locked well its not locked.

And for Mr Quinn, the Cheely mount is thicker at the base and it won't fit most Safari Land holsters. I milled my Cheely down to the same thinckness as my Quinn's, then Sold the Safari 013.

Edited by CocoBolo