Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idea For Minor Limited?

mpolans

With too much time on my hands and the recent acquisition of a .38 Super with an open and a limited top end, I started thinking.

What if one were to shoot Minor in Limited? There have been some discussions about it here, but I didn't see much and I don't recall anyone saying they did it seriously.

I was thinking of going with a 160gr. or 185gr. going about 800-700 feet per second, which ought to make recoil airsoft-like.

Plus, you'd have a little more capacity.

I figure if I can average around 95-97% of the available points now, a change to minor shouldn't hurt too bad.

If the difference in recoil is significant enough, it might be worth it as it might make it easier to shoot A's faster.

But I've never shot minor with 160-185gr. bullets, so I don't know how big a difference there is. Has anyone shot a load like this before?

There is really no advantage to doing so purposely.. If you want to shoot seriously you would shoot a .40.

Too much is given up when shooting minor...especially when comparing B and C-zone shots.

It can be done..but takes a lot of hard work....I usually do it for fun..as all I have in a limited configuration is a 9x23 gun..

If you want to shoot for fun..by all m eans do it....most likely end up in the top 1/4 of the pack..if you win..that is quite a testimony to your shooting that day..

I recently shot a .38 super Colt 1991 in a local single stack match. When the match was over I got to see the scores three different ways. The first way had the scores posted based just on time, points down were not factored in, nor was major/minor. I came in 8th. The second time I saw the scores I thought they were final but they had made a mistake and not factored in major/minor and had scored everyone minor. I came in 15th. Finally the real scores came out and I was 18th. So shooting minor cost me three spots in overall finish. BTW, the match winner was shooting minor as well.

-ld

I recently shot a .38 super Colt 1991 in a local single stack match. When the match was over I got to see the scores three different ways. The first way had the scores posted based just on time, points down were not factored in, nor was major/minor. I came in 8th. The second time I saw the scores I thought they were final but they had made a mistake and not factored in major/minor and had scored everyone minor. I came in 15th. Finally the real scores came out and I was 18th. So shooting minor cost me three spots in overall finish. BTW, the match winner was shooting minor as well.

-ld

What load were you using? Were you running 160-185gr. bullets too?

What load were you using? Were you running 160-185gr. bullets too?

I was shooting 115gr fmj's from on top of 5.2gr's of WST. I don't remember exact details but I think it comes out to a 138 or so power factor.

-ld

If you've already got a limited top-end, I'd say go ahead & try it. I just recently set up a single-stack Kimber in .38 super. I plan on shooting Limited 10 with it just for fun. I'll probably shoot some IDPA with it too.

With heavy bullets, recoil should be pretty tame. I've been playing with 160 Lead roundnoses using Winchester 231. It feels pretty soft to me. Can't remember the load, but it's on the low end of the published book loads from Winchester. I'm sure there are other powder choices that would be just as good.

I could care less whether the "big dogs" shoot minor. A minor .38 super is just plain fun to shoot. :D

I figure at worst, my reloads will improve. I'm not used to these skinny guns...

I shoot Minor Limited every once in a while.

Shooting Minor, you have to go for nothing but Alpha hits. That is harder than it sounds. Hardcover, No-Shoot, head shots, tough angles...etc.

Minor often isn't faster shooting...you gotta take the time to ensure the Alphas...plus, you gotta pound the steel in the right places all the time.

Shooting a heavy nine bullet will likely feel soft...and the slide will likely feel slugish.

Just stuff to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

I started shooting USPSA About two years ago when I finally acquired my first pistol. I bought a used EAA Wtiness in 9mm and found great hi-cap mags and extensions that gave me a capacity of 20 rounds per mag. I had the fortune of local shooter helping me out and hand-me-downs of a safariland 009 and three 771 mag pouches for a Caspian were very appreciative.

Due to school and work (still in college, Texas A&M University), I haven't shot as many matches with this setup as I would like too(but then who shoots as much as they want to) but have done very well I think based on my equipment. When I get to shoot on a regular basis, I find that my scores jump tremndously and I can compete with the big boys in our local clubs shooting minor to their limited race guns. The speed helps alot but accuracy is what will decide if it is worth it. IF i don't but once in a while, I will show up at a match and finish top 1/4 of limited overall (I think by next month I will be getting my A card, took me a while to find classifiers) If I shoot for a while and have some practice, I will place top 2 limited shooting minor. On more than once I have won a match outright over open guns but I think that was more them having a bad day as well.

I am not saying it is for eveybody, but the pure speed that can come out of it for a newbie is probably not a good thing. Most would try to spray and pray and that isn't good, especially for minor scoring.

I have shot a couple of matches with borrowed .40 STI's and Para's and have done even better with a .40 major, but it is doable to run a minor 9mm or super in limited. IT isn't even but with less recoil and more capacity, it almost makes it worth it and it si always fun!

William

A-45421

Texas South Section Area 4

If there's a large capacity advantage, then the disadvantage of shooting minor, at least in C-class, may not be as great. I shot a couple of majors last year --- the MASC and the Area 8 Race Gun ---- in limited shooting minor. I can generally shoot a nine faster and more accurately than a .45 (My limited gun is a G21; I don't own a .40) and the difference between 24 rounds in the gun to start versus 16 was a factor. There were several stages in both matches that could be negotiated with no reloads, and the bulk of the others could be shot with one reload. Lots of confidence in shooting aggressively with that much spare ammo on board. Of course a year ago my reloads really sucked too; this year they only suck. Next year they may be adequate.....

I agree with Flex regarding the A-hits and nothing else. However, depending on the match and the type of targets placed (and the A's available to you) you may want to give it a try. Unfortunately for us back here, people seem to like setting up stages full of moving, swinging, twisting, pendulum-erratic and other crazy stuff motions for targets. And, put not only one but usually 2 or three moving targets and throw in a no-shoot. Plus, short courses that only has one, partial, static target and the rest swingers! :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Dave Sevigny has shown that shooting minor can be taken almost to a match win. At the FGNs, he placed 2nd overall only to TJ (who shot major) using his minor Glock. Might want to watch what he shoots at the RGNs, and I bet it will be major 40. There you have it.

--Detlef

Mpolans

What you need to look at is, How much softer will the 38 super be? I considered trying a 38 super minor gun in Limited a couple of years ago. Then they lowered the power factor to 165. When it was 175 and you came across the right type of match, it was a real possibility. With the power factor at 165, I just don't think you'll gain anything.

Erik

• 2 weeks later...