Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you practice the different scenarios?

Mikey50

I am thinking about building some stands out of PVC and putting some cloth panels on them that could be moved like curtains. Basically it would be something to hide behind or neal behind but the movable curtains would let you do different things with each panel.

Just wondering if you have seen anything like this or maybe have pics. Looking for ideas on things that I could build and take to the range to set up my own scenarios.

Edited by Mikey50

I just practice with 3 or 4 target stands. Basically any field course is just a bunch of little short courses. Possibilities are endless when you add start position, moving in or out of position, etc.

You can use a simple baracade for just about everything you would want to practice.

Do not try and set up stages to practice with. Just go over fundamental drills for live fire and try not to work on everything at once. Pick a few things to work on and stay focused during practice.

I am fairly new to USPSA as well. I had the same question. What I learned was: Don't practice scenerios, Practice skills. Moving in and out of a shooting box, shooting while moving, etc. That only takes a couple of target holders and a baracade you can move.

Mark

Some of the best advice I have heard is that the advanced techniques are just the fundamentals done faster and better. Keep training the basics, and you will succeed with the matches.

Just wondering if you have seen anything like this or maybe have pics. Looking for ideas on things that I could build and take to the range to set up my own scenarios.

I have plates, poppers, target stands, barricades, a swinger... etc. The more stuff you can build or have access to.. the better.

I think you have a great idea and you should build that stuff and get goin.

Good luck!

I am fairly new to USPSA as well. I had the same question. What I learned was: Don't practice scenerios, Practice skills. Moving in and out of a shooting box, shooting while moving, etc. That only takes a couple of target holders and a baracade you can move.

Mark

+1.

be

The only thing I can add to the above is-

Have a light flexible wall or barricade with a port in it. This is not required, but if you can practice moving to a port, engaging the targets in the port and moving out of the port, it will buy you a lot of seconds in a real stage. We shoot through a lot of ports and windows at bigger matches, so it's a good skill to practice. As stated above though, this does not mean building a practice stage. Just setup some of the normal arrays to practice and then engage them through the port and around the sides of a barricade.

How about studying the courses prior to a match? The IN sectional has all COF's listed. I have been looking at these to determine mag changes, visualization, etc.

Is it best to try to figure these out ahead of time or show up and let it flow?

A lot of times the actual stages will be different that the published ones. Not a lot if the stages have been approved by HQ, but maybe instead of a wall, now you're shooting around barrels. Plus even if they are the same you may find that you can see T5 from behind the wall and now you have to rethink your plan.

I like to get a general idea of how to shoot the stage from the published plans, but leave the serious stuff until I actually lay eyes upon it.

Bruce

The only thing I can add to the above is-

Have a light flexible wall or barricade with a port in it. This is not required, but if you can practice moving to a port, engaging the targets in the port and moving out of the port, it will buy you a lot of seconds in a real stage. We shoot through a lot of ports and windows at bigger matches, so it's a good skill to practice. As stated above though, this does not mean building a practice stage. Just setup some of the normal arrays to practice and then engage them through the port and around the sides of a barricade.

What I made was frame of 2"x2" pine, and then I stapled black plastic to it. I can cut ports where ever I want. Once it is too cutup, I just staple on some more plastic. Infinately variable.

Mark

The best you can get from the published stages is the approximate round count. What is published bears no relationship to the actual stages at a match.

When you get to the match walk the stages in a through and systematic manner - think it through, then relax about it.

I don't know that anybody can "just let it flow" and shoot worth a diddly.

For a great set of drills that will help your match performance, I'd recommend you join Rob Leatham's Drillmaster's club.

LOTS of good stuff there, and most of the drills can be easily set up in about 5 minutes, tops; with a minimum of equipment needed.

How about studying the courses prior to a match? The IN sectional has all COF's listed. I have been looking at these to determine mag changes, visualization, etc.

Only use the posted stages for any odd starts or props on the stage dont plan reloads and shooting from posted stages. This doesnt work! Because you will finally see the stage and plans will change not a good thing!

If you can show up the day before you shoot and look the stages over.

BK

I've just started this.I have access to a warehouse and I go there once a week. I start out with my full dryfire routine. Then I set up a cof that I can run from 3 different points/angles. And run them each 5 times. I work on getting in and out of positions shooting on the move(holding on target while moving) . Shooting while backing out of position. Transitions. I work on visualization between runs. Keeping low while moving and shooting. Difficult positions, around baracades, under things, and probably more things to come. I'm on my 3rd week of doing this and it seems to be helping. I remember to keep low at matches try to shoot more on the move and don't worry much about some of the difficult positions we shoot from. One thing I have trouble with is movers so soon I'll be bulding some of those (portable for livefire) to practicewith. Remember turn your weaknesses into strengths.

Rob's Drillmaster drills are great, and a couple of them are fantastic, basic and effective. The objectives are clear and Rob always give comments on the drill and what he learned while doing them. Definatly worth the $ to join.

What ever you do keep your practice simple, I rairly use more than 3 or 4 targets, have a clear objective/plan and stick to it. I Always push in practicce at the begining, then pull back and finish accurate.

Typically, the only thing I study a written COF is the start position - in case it was something weird that might be worth practicing.

Be real wary of trying to glean much more than that. If you visualize where you are going to change mags, then change your mind when you actually see the COF, you could have just screwed yourself.

be