Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any IDPA or IPSC on Maui?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to vacation in Maui in a week. Are there any Maui ranges that have action pistol matches? I don't see any, so far.

Thank you for any info,

Ben

Ben,

On Maui, USPSA shooting on Sunday, May 18th; May 25th. Start shooting at 0900 and goes to about 1300 (depending on who the MD is and what kind of stages he designs).

Range is located near milemarker 12 off of Honoapiilani Hwy (Hwy 30) and is called the Ukumehame Firing Range.

An event calendar can be found on the Valley Isle Sport Shooters website. valleyislesportshooter.com

Remember, only 10 round pistol mags allowed :mellow:

If you have about 100-150 rds should be good for a match but....see above comment....or....you can borrow ammo from some of the guys.

Hope this helps and hope to see you on the range.

Barry

Barry, thank you for the info. Looks like the 25th would be my day. Where should I buy inexpensive .40 ammo on Maui, are the WalMart's carrying WWB or is there some local place to go? We'll be staying farther N of Lahaina on Hiway 30 looks like Honokawai is the name of the area, too bad we are not in Kihei this time, that range looks close to Kihei. Looks like maybe a 20-30 minute drive along Hiway 30 on a Saturday morning, does that sound right?

Can't find mile 12, but is this it?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=18

Hawaii is VERY gun un-friendly. Unless something has changed, you are required to REGISTER your gun with the local police within 24 hours of your arrival. Last time they had a major sporting clays tournament there one of the guys had his very high-end shotgun [Perrazzi or Kreighoff, can't remember which] confiscated at the police station because when they ran the serial number it came up as stolen. Of course he did not have a sales receipt or any other "proof of ownership' with him so they had to "investigate". It turned out that the serial number was indeed off a stolen gun, but it was for some other make and model, NOT the one that the shooter had brought with him and too bad if you just missed out on using your own gun for the tournament - luckily the guy got it back before his vacation was over. That sporting clays range is now closed but even though we still occasionally vacation on Maui [at the wife's insistence] I won't take a gun over there. I recommend you take a copy of your bill of sale or your Customs form 4457 if you have one.

When I was there last December, we were in the Sports Authority in Wailuku and I didn't see any ammunition - didn't go to WalMart. Most airlines allow 11 pounds of ammunition in your luggage so you should be OK for 200 rounds. When the have asked me how much ammo I have, I always say "under 11 pounds" and they've never weighed me yet. I always recommend that people go to the airlines web site and print out the airlines specific rules because counter people have been know to make up their own rules on the spot - don't ask me how I know this.....

Barry, thank you for the info. Looks like the 25th would be my day. Where should I buy inexpensive .40 ammo on Maui, are the WalMart's carrying WWB or is there some local place to go? We'll be staying farther N of Lahaina on Hiway 30 looks like Honokawai is the name of the area, too bad we are not in Kihei this time, that range looks close to Kihei. Looks like maybe a 20-30 minute drive along Hiway 30 on a Saturday morning, does that sound right?

Can't find mile 12, but is this it?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=18

Hey Ben, about the ammo, Walmart here won't even sell a gun patch or oil. Sports Authority is hit or miss if they have any in stock. Don't worry about ammo. I got .40 WWB or reloads whichever you prefer. Just come on the 25th and we'll set you up with whatever you need.

I was in Sports Authority on Sunday and they had a few 100 rd value packs of 165gr Winchester Target/Range whitebox...might be all gone by now since they're having a 15% off all ammo sale.

I was in Sports Authority on Sunday and they had a few 100 rd value packs of 165gr Winchester Target/Range whitebox...might be all gone by now since they're having a 15% off all ammo sale.
I read that the gun must be registered within 72 hours. Does this mean going to the police department, meeting someone, and doing some sort of red-tape procedure?

I have 2 10 rd mags, was planning on bringing 5 mags. What is acceptable in "blocking" a mag to 10 round capacity? I was thinking of a dowel inside the spring, which is acceptable in shotgun magazines.

Thanks for any info,

Ben

I read that the gun must be registered within 72 hours. Does this mean going to the police department, meeting someone, and doing some sort of red-tape procedure?

I have 2 10 rd mags, was planning on bringing 5 mags. What is acceptable in "blocking" a mag to 10 round capacity? I was thinking of a dowel inside the spring, which is acceptable in shotgun magazines.

Thanks for any info,

Ben

Barry can answer your 72 hr question. I honestly never knew visitors had to register.

Blocking would be anything that won't allow more than 10rds in the mag. What gear do you have? Most of us running S_I's are using 140's w/Arredondo 10rd blocks. I carry 5 mags and it's always enough.

I looked things over, and now I'm going to bring a 9mm Production gun, b/c I have 4 10-rounders for it. I hate hassling with silly gun laws, but I really want to shoot in Hawaii!

Barry, any info on the specifics of registering my blaster with the local authorities will be much appreciated,

Thank you and Regards,

Ben

Barry can answer your 72 hr question. I honestly never knew visitors had to register.

Blocking would be anything that won't allow more than 10rds in the mag. What gear do you have? Most of us running S_I's are using 140's w/Arredondo 10rd blocks. I carry 5 mags and it's always enough.

Hey Ben,

Yes, legally out-of-state guns must be registered within 72hrs of the arrival of the owner or gun (whichever comes in latest). I can help you with that, no problem. Too bad the shotgun guy had probs but usually all works out.

If you have an S_I type gun in .40, you can use my mags (I have 6 set up for 10rds) as I shoot almost exclusively Open (10 :roflol: ). As for .40 ammo, I have factory 165's and 180's you can have. Heck, you can even use my Dawson Practical Advantage if you want, just bring your rig :cheers: .

I might have some 9mm ammo around somewhere.

Let me know what you decide and as DonT said you can get ammo from us.

C-ya,

Barry

I looked things over, and now I'm going to bring a 9mm Production gun, b/c I have 4 10-rounders for it. I hate hassling with silly gun laws, but I really want to shoot in Hawaii!

Barry, any info on the specifics of registering my blaster with the local authorities will be much appreciated,

Thank you and Regards,

Ben

Oh yeah....the map is the range...we shoot at the one with all the vehicles. The range to the right of that is the Police range, too bad the blue carpet doesn't show up very well :roflol:

OK, thanks guys. I left a message on the VSS voice mail. I'll bring a 9mm Production gun and my own ammo.

I just spoke with the Police office about registering. Sure is a PITA to drive from Honokowai to Wailuku for this silliness.

It maps out at 15 miles per Google maps, is it more like 30 mins drive on Sat morning from Honokowai Beach Park area to the range?

Mahalo

Ben

Sure is a PITA to drive from Honokowai to Wailuku for this silliness.

I'd keep talking to the guy that goes by the forum name 5-0 and is from Maui....that is offering to help out. :cheers:

Looks like a good trip. Have fun. (share some pics if you get some)

HI guys...sounds like a good group you all have there. B)

OK, thanks guys. I left a message on the VSS voice mail. I'll bring a 9mm Production gun and my own ammo.

I just spoke with the Police office about registering. Sure is a PITA to drive from Honokowai to Wailuku for this silliness.

It maps out at 15 miles per Google maps, is it more like 30 mins drive on Sat morning from Honokowai Beach Park area to the range?

Mahalo

Ben

Kewl.....the drive from Honokowai to the range is about 20 mins but it's a scenic drive along the coastline. On your way out, there are places to stop for food (McD's; Star$$$; SafeWay; BadAss; etc.).

Bring some water and some sunscreen especially if you're kinda fair B) or long sleeves and long pants if allergic to the sun.

Be prepared to meet a mixed bag of shooters :goof:

Should be fun, we've had a few "visitors" shoot with us and we didn't scare them too bad as they keep coming back :roflol:

:cheers:

Sure is a PITA to drive from Honokowai to Wailuku for this silliness.

I'd keep talking to the guy that goes by the forum name 5-0 and is from Maui....that is offering to help out. :cheers:

Looks like a good trip. Have fun. (share some pics if you get some)

HI guys...sounds like a good group you all have there. B)

Thanks Flex...when are you coming out for a visit? :cheers:

Barry my email is benbock@msn.com, and my cell is 541.543.1983. If you know a convenient way to ease my suffering, give me a holler. Or forward me your info and I'll call you.

Thanks, and best,

Ben

Edited by ben b.

Barry my email is benbock@msn.com, and my cell is 541.543.1983. If you know a convenient way to ease my suffering, give me a holler. Or forward me your info and I'll call you.

Thanks, and best,

Ben

Ben, if you want some specifics send me an email. I was there 2 1/2 weeks ago and shot a match and registered my gun.

Overall it was pretty easy except taking the extra time to drive from Lahaina to the PD in Wailuku.

If you haven't been there before, a GPS is your friend.

And let me just say this; This is a great bunch of guys to shoot with. They made me feel welcomed and just like I was one of the guys. I really felt like I was at home and shooting with my buddies... Hmm... Well, now that I think of it.... I was shooting with my buddies... Mahalo guys...

Have fun Ben,

Gary

Hey Ben...depending on when or if you're arriving at Kahului Airport, it might be easier to swing by the Police Station and register it then as it's less than 5 miles from the airport. Hours are 8:00 to 4:30 but they won't take anybody after 4:00 (at least that's what the sign says) unless they know you 'cause you're always in there registering the "new" gun that's somehow made its way through 4 or 5 of the club members. If you don't mind revealing what make/model of gun you're bringing we might be able to dig up a coupla spare mags...most of us carry 5 or 6. I'm at ginoaki@hotmail.com or here on the forum, or (808) 870-8927 if you can't reach Barry.

"And let me just say this; This is a great bunch of guys to shoot with. They made me feel welcomed and just like I was one of the guys. I really felt like I was at home and shooting with my buddies... Hmm... Well, now that I think of it.... I was shooting with my buddies... Mahalo guys... "

Thanks for the kind words, Gary, it was great having you shoot with us , too.

Gino

Hello Gary and Gino, Thanks for the info.

Gary, when you registered, was the full body cavity search, DNA sample, and memorized 6-page loyalty oath a downer, or a masochistic pleasure? :surprise::roflol:

I guess here in libertarian "do as ye will" Oregon, we aren't used to all these fancy regulations and restrictions.

I'll be going there from a bit north of Lahaina, which will probably kill a few vacation hours in car travel and hassle, which is a downer. But I am excited to shoot a match while on vacation! We land on Sunday, so no easy "on-the-way-stop" for me.

Barry, I got your message. I was actually putting together a new progressive press when the phone rang, it was ID blocked, so I didn't see it was Hawaii and didn't bother stopping to answer. Sorry I missed you.

I'm a bit unconventional in my choice in plastic pistols. I shoot a Steyr 9mm in Production, and a Steyr .40 is my L-10 gun. I'll be buying some beer if anyone has Steyr M9 mags at the club! So I have kydex rigs for both, but no ghost type rig for a 1911 platform. My SS gun rides in regular kydex too, of course.

Hope to see you guys soon.

Ben

Hmmmmm a Steyr...that's gonna be tough. I don't think I've ever seen one on the island. Durn, sorry 'bout that, Ben. Sounds like you're coming in to Mahinahina Airport, so I guess it's a drive over to Wailuku for you. The ladies at Records are pretty helpful...all they'll really want is an I.D. and the info about the gun i.e. make/model/action/serial number/and barrel length. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a copy of any paperwork you've got that would verify ownership. Leave the magazines at your room when you go.

Sports Authority has a bunch of 100 rd Winchester white box 115 gr 9mm if you think you'll need more than you're bringing. I think it's like $26+ a box. 50 rd boxes are about 17.

Let me or Barry know if you need anything else. See ya soon.

Gino

p.s. to 45dv8...I wouldn't mind shooting a match in Georgia...it may sound crazy, but I actually LIKED training at Ft. Benning.

Edited by gino_aki

Hello Gary and Gino, Thanks for the info.

Gary, when you registered, was the full body cavity search, DNA sample, and memorized 6-page loyalty oath a downer, or a masochistic pleasure? :surprise::roflol:

I guess here in libertarian "do as ye will" Oregon, we aren't used to all these fancy regulations and restrictions.

I'll be going there from a bit north of Lahaina, which will probably kill a few vacation hours in car travel and hassle, which is a downer. But I am excited to shoot a match while on vacation! We land on Sunday, so no easy "on-the-way-stop" for me.

Barry, I got your message. I was actually putting together a new progressive press when the phone rang, it was ID blocked, so I didn't see it was Hawaii and didn't bother stopping to answer. Sorry I missed you.

I'm a bit unconventional in my choice in plastic pistols. I shoot a Steyr 9mm in Production, and a Steyr .40 is my L-10 gun. I'll be buying some beer if anyone has Steyr M9 mags at the club! So I have kydex rigs for both, but no ghost type rig for a 1911 platform. My SS gun rides in regular kydex too, of course.

Hope to see you guys soon.

Ben

Ben,

the entire ordeal was relatively painless. First they taze you and then you don't feel anything for awhile :wacko:

Actually, all you have to do is go through the door on the right and go up to the window that's on your immediate right. Tell them your a visitor and you want to register a handgun. They want to look it over and get the make, model and serial numbers. Then they hand you a paper to take across the walk way to get finger printed and a picture. (You can't take the gun with you so you'll have to lock it up in your car). Or if you're lucky enough to have someone with you, you can leave it with them but they'll have to stay in that lobby.

Once it's registered you're good to go. Should you ever visit again you won't have to register *that* gun again.

I decided to bring my own ammo with me. It's way cheaper to bring your own and I gave away what I had left. 200 rounds of 9mm is about 5 pounds and Hawaiian Airlines maximum is 7 pounds per checked bag but you'll have to check with your airline on what their rules are.

Good luck,

Gary