Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Finally Manned Up

ChrisStock

This is probably super trivial to most here, but I finally disassembled my 1911 down to the frame and got it back together correctly. I found a step by step video (thanks youtube) that gave me the confidence to do it without fear. I was deathly afraid I would end up with a pile of unrecognizable parts and have to pay my local smith to get it all back together (again <_< ), but I managed it perfect, performed a function check and took it to the range for testing with only 2 rounds in each magazine in case I had FUBARed anything. It worked like a charm.

I now have a much better understanding of how this fine piece of machinery functions to go along with personal satisfaction. Next trick is to tackle this with my SP-01...AGAIN.... as soon as I find a video or decent instructions. An old dog sometimes can learn new tricks given the proper motivation ($$ wasted for my gunsmiths amusement)) and tools (video).

Good thing you had a video showing you what to do and how to do it ... the first time I did it I reassembled the safety plunger lever of my Series 80 Colt backwards ... can you imagine the laughter of my teammates when I showed up at the range and tried to get one round go bang? :lol:

Still afraid to do it with my Rusty Kidd Vipers and Brazos gun.

Ok, hold it... You can take apart and re-assemble M4/AR-15s with ease, and we trust you to put shot up and blown up guys back together... but you're afraid of taking apart a little 1911??? :D:lol::roflol:

Just do it, man!!! :D

I know the feeling. I got a free 1911A1 from the goverment and took it apart several times. Never chanced taking apart my Colt's, Para's or Sprngfield's until I took apart my free gun. Still haven't fully taken apart the Wilson and dont plan on doing it anytime soon.

Edited by pierce195

Yes Dave....it's exactly that. I'll drop a tube in someone's throat blindfolded and can suture a chest tube in the back of a Blackhawk at a 140. 1911's and my 1-3/4# trigger pull are just one of them things. I'm working on it though with a local 'smith.

Rich

This is probably super trivial to most here, but I finally disassembled my 1911 down to the frame and got it back together correctly. I found a step by step video (thanks youtube) that gave me the confidence to do it without fear. I was deathly afraid I would end up with a pile of unrecognizable parts and have to pay my local smith to get it all back together (again <_< ), but I managed it perfect, performed a function check and took it to the range for testing with only 2 rounds in each magazine in case I had FUBARed anything. It worked like a charm.

I now have a much better understanding of how this fine piece of machinery functions to go along with personal satisfaction. Next trick is to tackle this with my SP-01...AGAIN.... as soon as I find a video or decent instructions. An old dog sometimes can learn new tricks given the proper motivation ($$ wasted for my gunsmiths amusement)) and tools (video).

Wow and I thought I was the only one on the forum that didn't know how to build one from scratch.

Just two months ago I decided that I wanted new grips on my "brand new" SVI open gun and I was going to do it myself (or try) so I had ordered a disassembly dvd that Wilson put out and I watched it one evening and went out the next morning and started taking that buggah apart. Got it completely apart and grip off. Started putting the new grip on and realized it needed a little fine tuning around the mag release and trigger. Did that and got everything moving smoothly and put it all back together. This was my first time. Grips were a little hard to get on and I changed the trigger insert too and was not real comfortable with how I had the overtravel screw adjusted. Took it to the range and filled a couple of mags with two rounds each and fired. Then filled a couple of mags and fired. It was a beautiful thing. My shooting buddy/mentor fired it and then proceeded to adjust my overtravel a little and it was perfect.

What a great feeling of confidence now knowing that I can do that. Oh and BTW, I was so proud of my accomplishment that I had to show my wife what I had done. She was very impressed :rolleyes:

Now my buddy keeps telling me I need to build my next AR :huh: I'm not there yet...

Now out comes the file and dremmel :roflol: :popcorn1:

Learn to do the little stuff, it saves alot on shipping.

Flyin

All you really need are the instructions from Bob Londigran (Brazos) that have appeared in Front Sight magazine. (Also on his website.) At least, that's all I used my first couple of times. Bob's got a lot of great tips.

Thanks for the tip, I'll cheeck it out. :cheers:

The video I used was pretty helpful...hearing or reading about how it's done can sometimes be helpful, but seeing it done was what inspired me. Well, that, and I needed to finish the duracoat job without paying my 'smith to giggle at me as he pocketed more money for correcting my ignorance.

Still no luck on the CZ video, though. Someone has got to post one up. I just paid $45 labor to have a trigger return replaced which galled me. I don't have enough spares to leave a pistol disassembled while I figure it out. I have a main (M&P), a backup (CZ), and my Singlestack. If I have one in pieces come match day, I'd be hosed....no backup. My safe has lots of air in it still, not enough pistols. One day I hope to have the luxury of being to have one in pieces on the bench without having an anxiety attack wondering whether I can get it running by the weekend.

Yes Dave....it's exactly that. I'll drop a tube in someone's throat blindfolded and can suture a chest tube in the back of a Blackhawk at a 140. 1911's and my 1-3/4# trigger pull are just one of them things. I'm working on it though with a local 'smith.

You should have told me that at A6. I'd have drilled you backwards and forwards on it... :D

Hey Chris on CZForum or CZshooters..there are some threads..on one..there is a step by step with photos..on tear down..

hopefully I have some time..I'll see if I can find it.

On a standard 1911 the first step is to remove the grips, what about the 2011? I've yet to completely strip mine. Do you first remove the mag release to get the grip section off and then treat it like any 1911?

No instructions on a S_I but this is pretty good for a standard 1911. Animated assembly

Gary

I have an video I picked up for the CZ 75 I think it might be from AGI? Not sure. It's a bit outdated, but it helped.

Someone told me a great tip to keep from losing any springs when disassembling any of the CZs, get one of those clear gallon size zip-lock bags and if the spring decides to eject, it will just hit the inside of the bag and you'll know right where it is.

The SP-01 is a challenge, lots of small parts, especially that trigger return spring.

Good luck.

...and the link is?

OK... I'm a tool sometimes. Here's the link. Check out his other videos for reassembly.

Shay, thanks for that link... I have it,l but there's something in my brain that seems to find the video reassuring and easier to learn. Something about actually seeing the process happen vs. seeing the results of a step. I do appreciate it, though. :cheers:

There is definitely one line in the re-assembly video that has a colorful word when a gnat flies into the frame around the 3:30 mark. Every time I hear his commentary at that moment, it definitely kicks the giggle box into high gear no matter how many times I have seen this and heard it. I have no explanation why. :lol:

Edited by ChrisStock