Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolen followers/pads

mwx40x40

Anybody have any experience with Bolen(sp?) basepads and followers in STI tubes? How are they compared to others ,Dawson, Grams, etc?

I've got a couple of mags with the followers in them and I like them. They are a little shorter, top to bottom than the Grams followers and the way they're designed, they lay at an angle in the tube such that they barely protrude below the bottom round in the mag....so they save a little space. Two of the mags are SV 140mm tubes with the Bolen followers, Grams spring and Dawson +1SNL pads and both are reloadable 24 rounds (38SC). That's pretty good for a short stick. I have a few more followers and will be slowly converting all my mags to them as I change out springs....even if I'm not going to add an extra round with them it'll make them seat easier when reloading....and take a little pressure off the grip when seating a fully loaded mag. R,

I have a 4mm on an STI Tube and it fits out about the same as a Dawson SNL, had to trim the mag just a bit. It's a little bit funkier than the super easy Dawson Pads but not much.

With an 11 coil Grams Spring, Bolen 4mm Pad and a Bolen Follower on an STI Tube it is a little easier to reload with 20 rounds, can't cram 21 in it though and can't with the SNL either, than the 2 Dawson SNL's with Grams Follower and Spring.

The thing that bothered me was the amount of tube it left showing. Being used to the Dawson, it looks as if the mag's not seated. It kept screwing with me enough that I just added some Skateboard Tape so it now doesn't show the bright shiny Tube.

Other than that it's been pretty good.

I also have a Bolen 3mm Pad, Follower and Grams 11 coil spring on an SPS Tube and it hollds 21 and is easily reloadable. Took a bit more work to make it legal but it's now there.

Only time will tell if the "Pin" at the front of the Pad becomes a problem.

I had one of the basepads, I dont recall what mm, but I think it was 4mm. You slid the pad on the bottom flange of the mag body and the spring "jumped" down into the pad. When you went to take it off, you depressed the little "nipple" then slid it off the tube. Only problem was the spring was down in the pad, and blocking movement of the pad off the tube. It took forever to get the thing off without just getting pissed and tearing the spring all up so I got rid of the one and stayed with the easy on/off DP's.

I am using the followers in a bunch of my personal mags, they work great. 21 rounds reloadable in STI and SV 40/140 mags is not a problem, with no OAL restrictions like most of the other 21 round mags out there. 30 reloadable in a 9mm/Supercomp big stick too. It levels the capacity field with known quality tubes.

I have been using the basepads some too. They don't add anything significant over a Dawson pad in a comparable length as far as capacity goes, but there are some lengths that are not available from other companies in a durable material. They do provide more room in the magazine when compared to the plastic pads out there, the plastic just cannot be as thin and maintain the strength needed. In my mind the real advantage of the Bolen pad is for those guys and gals that feel like the Dawson pad is just too big, like they grab a handful of basepad and not enough mag when they are doing a reload. Those people will really like the Bolen pad, it is by FAR the slimmest and lowest profile + capacity basepad out there. Getting them on and off isn't a problem for me, I put them on like any other slip on pad, and to take them off I just pull it straight off the tube. They aren't as easy as a Dawson, but they are probably the second easiest pad out there to use.

The Bolen spring should be out soon, and from what I have been told it will be really cool. I will be testing them as soon as they come out.

I like the Bolen products, good value, good product, and some innovation that just isn't available from any other company.

I just got Bolan Followers and a couple of mag basespads this last week. I found that on my SVI tubes they did not add a thing over my Grams Followers and SNL basepads. I decided to stay with what I had.

Mark

Mark, the follower is not sitting in the mag right, the ammo is not stacking right if you didn't see an increase in capacity. You should see almost a half a round more capacity.

With the large amount of variability in mag tubes and followers, in my experience (.38/9mm), the Bolen follower requires more tweaking than some other followers. If it works with your current mag tubes, congratulations! When I tried to use them, the leg on the bottom of the follower is so short that it would fold over the spring and jam the mag.

A mag that holds one extra round that's not reliable has no value. I'll use what works that holds one round less.

Good point fatcat. Every one of mine is in a tuned tube, and I forget that not everyone has tuned tubes. I also forget that the average consumer out there might not know how to set the spring up. A spring out of the package is not going to work well at all. The only tweaking I have needed to do to the follower is to grind the slide lock tab off, other than that the follower works great as is.

The problem you experienced with the follower is the same problem Mark had, just a little different degree. I'd urge both of you to call Bolen and talk to him about setting up the spring, or pick up a couple Bolen springs when they come out. All the set up should be done on the spring when it comes out.

If he's got an STI tube, he could also be getting a round down below the ribs... Sure fire way to get the works hung up... There are ways to prevent that, as well, apparently, by re-bending the bottoms of the ribs (spring won't make a difference for that particular issue).

Here is a picture of the Bolen follower in a couple mags, one SV and one STI. It shows the angle the follower needs to sit at on top of the spring. If you just clip the follower to a spring you have it will not work as designed. The top of the spring needs to be canted so that the rounds stack correctly in the magazine. When the spring is set up right the follower will not roll over.

If you still have trouble contact someone that sells Bolen magazine parts and ask them how to set the spring up.

Dave, the ribs will definitely cause a problem but it should manifest itself as a big heavy rattle after the first or second shot. It should not be able to happen with 19 rounds or less, but 20 or 21 rounds brings it into play in a 40/140 tube for example. To run 21 rounds reliably in an STI 40/140 tube the bottom of the mag will need to be addressed.

post-7366-1210615247.jpg

30 reloadable in a 9mm/Supercomp big stick too.

Using what brand tubes? I'm currently enjoying my SPS tubes with 29 reloadable using Grams guts and pads. My SV will only go 28 with a Grams follower and Dawson pad so it stays home.

30 reloadable in a 9mm/Supercomp big stick too.

Using what brand tubes? I'm currently enjoying my SPS tubes with 29 reloadable using Grams guts and pads. My SV will only go 28 with a Grams follower and Dawson pad so it stays home.

I've got one of Howards big sticks done on an SV tube with Grams follower and spring, Dawson +1 basedpad and it's an easy 29. I haven't switched it to a Bolen follower, but it might get 30 with one in it. My understanding is that most of the time 30 reloadable can't be guaranteed....sometimes, sometimes not. Bolen is doing SPS tubes at 31 (not reloadable). R,

I bought a couple of base pads and followers from Manny when we were at Space city. I used one on my 170mm 38 super mag with a gramms spring and I got 30 rounds in the mag. The last one was pretty tight but it worked 100% for the whole match. So far I have just played around with the .40 mag basepad, but I did get 21 rounds in the mag and it was reloadable but you have to really shove it in there. I would say they are reloadable with 20 and call it good. It will be the mag I reload to when MD's set up those stages that end with lots of steel and Texas stars.

Talked to John Bolen today and he said the spring is about 4 weeks out, the spring will be good to go right out of the pack and end users won't need to do anything to it for the follower to work.

Dave, if your mags are that tight you are risking cracking a grip using them. You probably know that but figured I would throw it out there......

Ryan, SV tube.

Hi Howard. Thanks! When the new spring is done/out I think I'll pick one up (and follower) and give it a shot. I'd like to get the SV to 29 like the SPS's.

Ryan, SV tube.

Hi Howard. Thanks! When the new spring is done/out I think I'll pick one up (and follower) and give it a shot. I'd like to get the SV to 29 like the SPS's.

I get 29 reloadable easily in all my sv 170 tubes with bolen pad/followers.

Edited by HoMiE

30 can be done too.

I can get 30, but I have not been able to make it reliable yet. Sometimes the follower sticks right away when you seat mag or 2,5,6 rounds later.

30 can be done too.

That, I'm quite sure, would require your services. :cheers: I still have your address hiding somewhere! For now I think I'll be happy to get the SV to the capacity and reliability of my STI's and SPS's and go for more later. The whole 30/31 round thing is intriguing to say the least!