Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a Recommendation for a Bicycle

revchuck

All - I've decided to use a bicycle as a means of cardio exercise. Now I need one.

The single bike shop for 50 miles around has one brand, Trek, which looks less than wonderfully made. They offer a "hybrid" for about $350. I can live with the price, but I don't know how much the lack of competition influences it - I'm guessing that it's inflated.

All I need it for is 45-60 minutes worth of riding each day. I have no pretensions of becoming a Lance Armstrong wannabe. I'd appreciate any recommendations for a good quality general purpose bike. I'm looking for the two-wheeled equivalent of a S&W M10.

Is there such a thing as a national chain of bike stores? I spend a lot of time in the New Orleans area, and I'm guessing that it would be easier to find a store there. Again, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

My brother is an avid road race type cyclist (he also has a MS in exercise physiology). I'll ask him next time I talk to him or tonight when I see him at work, he should be able to give me a pretty good brand/model for you.

Trek is a good brand but you might also check out Specialized too. They have some bikes that are built for the road but have flat bars like a mountain bike which gives you an upright position.

$350-$500 isn't a bad price range for what you seek. Components are where they cut the price many times, so consider a good fitting frame that you can upgrade components later as they wear out or when you are ready to lighten things up.

Fit is everything. Ride different brands and see what feels right. Don't get too hung up on what someone tells you should fit, but more what feels right to you. Minor fitting can also be achieved with different stems, etc but don't discount your gut feeling on feel. If it doesn't fit you won't ride it.

Also, skip the big giant padded seat. They look comfy but can cause issues/pain/chaffing if you really get into riding much...you also don't have to have the skinniest leather saddle either. Be prepared to try different saddles as you get into cycling. Marketing hype can be just that but Specialized generally makes very good saddles...just like a good holster, some work for you but maybe not your buddy...but try to buy decent quality.

And don't be afraid of padded shorts, they come in fashionable styles and your junk will be happier.

Budget for a helmet. Bell used to have the best tag line "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet"..says it all...figure at least $50...they all look dorky - get over it. Again this will be a fit thing. Bell helmets don't fit my head shape but Giro does...try em on.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The bike in the Avatar is above is not what you want. Do get the big puffy padded seat (you'll most likely have to buy it seperate) look for a Hybrid, basically a mountain bike with road tires. Make sure the bike is big enough. Normal sport stores are now selling 28" bikes and for the first time I have one that actually fits. Bigger is better. You want to be able to sit up and not have all your weight on your wrists like in the picture above. I bought a 330 dollar 28" diamondback edgewood hybrid bike from the PX in Hawaii added a big wide cruiser seat and a gel pad. (same bike was at Sports Authority,) I put about 18-20 miles a week on it due to Hawaii traffic being so bad it was easier and faster to bike to the store or restraunts. (I was living in Barracks so ate out alot.) This bike is very confortable and I enjoy cruising along without having my face in my crotch. Or sitting on something suitable for splitting firewood but only a madman would consider a seat.

This is a fine source for information that I am familiar with.

http://forums.mtbr.com/

And you might try here also.

http://www.bikeforums.net/

For a dirt bike anything around $350 is at the absolute low end of the quality spectrum. The components will not survive - be ready to replace and upgrade.

You don't have to go real expensive but read up on the mtbr forum and get some background information.

We run a Kona Hoss Delux, a 26. And also a Karate Monkey, a 29 - all of which cost more than I liked.

If you are not an absolute lightweight check out the "Clydesdale/Tall" section of the forum.

And don't get a big, fat, fluffy seat. When riding a bike you have 5 points of contact, you are not sitting on your a_s.

A decent dirt bike, one that will survive will cost a bit, so shop wisely but educate yourself first.

With regard to road bikes and price and quality. For a roadbike get something between $500 and $1000 and you are not likely to go wrong but get it from a bike shop, not some sports outlet.

The bike in the Avatar is above is not what you want. Bigger is better. You want to be able to sit up and not have all your weight on your wrists like in the picture above.

My avitar is certainly NOT what you are looking for. That is a titanium FRAME that was $3K...not including parts or build...but that isn't what you were asking for. Think Benny Hill level build for this bike. You wouldn't want to try to CCW an Open blaster either. :rolleyes:

FIT is most important. If the shop won't let you try it out around the block or so...keep shopping.

Buy from a bike shop not big retail chain. One of the biggest reasons for this is - a bike mechanic assembling the bike vs. stockboy putting bike together. They should also be able to guide you to a model when you tell them how/where you'll be riding.

And yes components at this level will be entry level but they can be replaced when needed.

Also buy a small repair kit and know how to fix a flat...you'll need this someday. :angry2:

ymmv

I bought a Trek basic hardtail mountain bike a few weeks ago (4300, 26" with disk brakes and a lot of Bontrager components). So far I'm happy. It's about ten pounds lighter than the cheapies I bought at Target years ago.

My brother has been riding a Specialized for eight or ten years and he's happy.

Buy and wear a helmet, if you're going to do any trail riding. If your seat is adjusted properly your CG will be very high. I went trail riding yesterday and took a spill. Without a helmet I'd have a nice dent in my head.

Think used.

Bikes have a huge depreciation schedule and it's generally pretty easy to get a nice bike for 50% of new money. In the $500 new range, you're going to have a tough time finding components that hold up if you really ride a lot. On the other hand, there are plenty of nice $500 *used* bikes with nice components that will do well. You could easily find a 10 year old bike with Shimano XT components for $500 that would run forever with just a little maintenance and tune ups.

If you were closer, I'd simply loan you my GT lead sled.

Revchuck

A place that I have had good fortune in getting a good bike is on the local Craigslist, like EricW says, buy used. I don't know what the one in your area looks like but with a bit of reading on mtbr.com and just being interested you could run across some real nice stuff on Craigslist or similar site in your area.

Not knowing much about LA except that I didn't like Ft Polk much, I'm including the LA links.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/la

Edited by Viggen

ditto on used!! if you know what size you want, which is extremely important, EBay is great. i've gotten a couple of smokin' deals on bikes there. you gotta check it out for a while, but you'll find exactly what your looking for if you can wait for it......

Chuck,

Just talked with my brother, he has a friend that owns a shop in New Orleans. He said you can't go wrong with Trek or Specialized for what you want the bike for, just ask them to adjust it to your size. Try:

Bicycle World

701 Jefferson Hwy.

Jefferson, La.

1-504-828-1862

Chuck,

Just talked with my brother, he has a friend that owns a shop in New Orleans. He said you can't go wrong with Trek or Specialized for what you want the bike for, just ask them to adjust it to your size. Try:

Bicycle World

701 Jefferson Hwy.

Jefferson, La.

1-504-828-1862

Sounds like he's ^^ got you lined out.

One more thing to consider, in regard to "size" - Different companies measure from different points....some center of tube - to - center; others center of tube - to top of top tube...just know a 17" of one brand isn't a 17" of another ...and tell the sale people how you really plan to use the bike and have a great year of riding...

You'll likely be asking later in the year "What kind of cold weather gear do I need?" I'm sure we can help then too.

Good luck!

All - Well, I took Dirty Chamber's advice and checked out Giant, and ended up with a FCR3. It appears to be at the low end of the good stuff, but it fits. I do like having bought it at a bike shop - it's nice having people who actually know what they're talking about! (They also have a 10% military discount on accessories, which helps take some of the edge off the purchases.) My butt is going to have to discuss things with the seat until they both come to an understanding - boy, it's been a while since I've ridden a bike. :surprise: I'm taking to heart the statement that one's butt is only one of five points of contact, and will fine tune the seat and bars to even things out.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Since I have been a bike shop manager, opened 2 shops, wrenched on everything made for the last 50 years and sold more bikes to more people over the last 20 years of being in the business (ok sometimes only part time) than I'd like to remember, I'd like to add my .02.

1. Buy a bike from a bike shop. Not REI/EMS or a big chain. They do NOT build them correctly. None of them do. Trust me on this. I have fixed more bad builds than I remember.

2. Buying used is fine if you know what you want. If you get a new bike you get service & warranty. Bike shops make very little money. Most shop employees do it for the love, not the money (there is none).

3. Build a relationship with the shop, modern bikes are finicky, and ALL have issues of some kind. A good shop spends at least an hour building and testing the bike; department stores get them out of the box and to the floor as quickly as possible.

4. A good shop salesperson can size you up after a few questions. Most shops want your business and will work hard to earn it. If they act like you don't matter, go elsewhere.

5. Most casual riders do just fine in the $500 range, which is where you get decent parts hung on a decent frame. By casual I mean less than 20 mile rides, 1-2 times a week. If you are riding longer or more frequently, consider the $750 range.

6. A good shop will change saddles and stems for no charge (upgrades of course cost more). Fit is PARAMOUNT. The tall and the short will have more issues with fit.

7. Your butt will hurt the first few times you ride.

8. A comfort saddle will eventually chafe on longer rides, but will be more cushy. If thats what it takes to get you to ride, get one.

9. Buy a seat pack, pump, patch kit, misc tools, HELMET, gloves and shorts. Yep they cost money, but make life so much more enjoyable. The HELMET and gloves are mandatory. Kinda like buying a pistol with only one mag, sure you can live with it, but it ain't no fun.

10. buy water bottles and cages or a hydration pack.

11. a good shop will offer free adjustments with a purchase. Some give a free tune up. All give free advice.

12 the funny shoes and shorts and jerseys look gay, but once you try them on a long ride, you'll never go back to wearing sneakers, chinos and a sweatshirt.

13. Most people will never wear out a bike, but they will need periodic maintenance like new tires, tubes, grips, chains, brake pads, saddles. All these parts last longer if the shop builds the bike right and fits it to you. The drive train lasts longer if you lube the chain and shift correctly. The bike shop has the right lube for your area (wet lubes like TRiflow for wet areas, Dry lubes like White Lightning for dry areas) BTW those are the only ones I use now, except for T9 on occasion.

14. Nobody who gets into cycling will keep their first bike. I have 2 mountain bikes, a cross/commuter, a road bike, a single speed, and a old Schwinn collectors piece. I change parts around, buy and sell bikes all the time. Point is, your first will not be your last, so don't worry about getting the PERFECT one. There is no perfect bike, only a good one for the type of riding you intend to do.

The bike shop lore is usually more truthful than gun shop lore. But there are always those that are trying to make a fast buck or have no idea about customer service. Buying a bike takes at least an hour; deciding on a model, getting fit, test riding, picking out accessories and learning about it all take time.

Photog - My experience bears out your recommendations. I called one place to check out Specialized bikes, and found out they close at 5 PM, from which I infer they expect their customers to take time off work to shop there. I never went. The place I got my bike from stays open until 6 PM, and was closer to boot. When I got the bike, the owner made a point of coming over to meet me. All the people there are riders, even the pretty lady at the register (apparently the owner's wife/girlfriend). I made some points with her since she and I were the only ones with glasses; I asked how she keeps hers on while riding. She doesn't wear them when riding...

Buy a seat pack, pump, patch kit, misc tools, HELMET, gloves and shorts. Yep they cost money, but make life so much more enjoyable. The HELMET and gloves are mandatory.

I got everything except the gloves, shorts and mini-tool. I'm going back for the gloves and the mini-tool tomorrow. Fifty bucks for the gay shorts? I might need some time to get used to that idea first. :P

I took it out for a 25-30 minute spin. Had to stop twice to raise the seat, and might raise it again. My thighs were talking to me when I got back! I decided to simultaneously carbo-load and rehydrate when I got back. Another use for cold beer... :D

Nice job! The giant was a good choice. The shop probably/should give 1 year free tune ups w/ bike. Take it back in a couple of months and let them re-adjust everything shfters, deraileurs, etc as things stretch and seat in for a few miles.

Yeah your butt will hurt for the first few rides...bad maybe...it WILL get better. Mine hurts when I take a few weeks off, too ...even with chamois.

Since I have been a bike shop manager, opened 2 shops, wrenched on everything made for the last 50 years and sold more bikes to more people over the last 20 years of being in the business (ok sometimes only part time) than I'd like to remember, I'd like to add my .02.

1. Buy a bike from a bike shop. Not REI/EMS or a big chain. They do NOT build them correctly. None of them do. Trust me on this. I have fixed more bad builds than I remember.

2. Buying used is fine if you know what you want. If you get a new bike you get service & warranty. Bike shops make very little money. Most shop employees do it for the love, not the money (there is none).

3. Build a relationship with the shop, modern bikes are finicky, and ALL have issues of some kind. A good shop spends at least an hour building and testing the bike; department stores get them out of the box and to the floor as quickly as possible.

4. A good shop salesperson can size you up after a few questions. Most shops want your business and will work hard to earn it. If they act like you don't matter, go elsewhere.

5. Most casual riders do just fine in the $500 range, which is where you get decent parts hung on a decent frame. By casual I mean less than 20 mile rides, 1-2 times a week. If you are riding longer or more frequently, consider the $750 range.

6. A good shop will change saddles and stems for no charge (upgrades of course cost more). Fit is PARAMOUNT. The tall and the short will have more issues with fit.

7. Your butt will hurt the first few times you ride.

8. A comfort saddle will eventually chafe on longer rides, but will be more cushy. If thats what it takes to get you to ride, get one.

9. Buy a seat pack, pump, patch kit, misc tools, HELMET, gloves and shorts. Yep they cost money, but make life so much more enjoyable. The HELMET and gloves are mandatory. Kinda like buying a pistol with only one mag, sure you can live with it, but it ain't no fun.

10. buy water bottles and cages or a hydration pack.

11. a good shop will offer free adjustments with a purchase. Some give a free tune up. All give free advice.

12 the funny shoes and shorts and jerseys look gay, but once you try them on a long ride, you'll never go back to wearing sneakers, chinos and a sweatshirt.

13. Most people will never wear out a bike, but they will need periodic maintenance like new tires, tubes, grips, chains, brake pads, saddles. All these parts last longer if the shop builds the bike right and fits it to you. The drive train lasts longer if you lube the chain and shift correctly. The bike shop has the right lube for your area (wet lubes like TRiflow for wet areas, Dry lubes like White Lightning for dry areas) BTW those are the only ones I use now, except for T9 on occasion.

14. Nobody who gets into cycling will keep their first bike. I have 2 mountain bikes, a cross/commuter, a road bike, a single speed, and a old Schwinn collectors piece. I change parts around, buy and sell bikes all the time. Point is, your first will not be your last, so don't worry about getting the PERFECT one. There is no perfect bike, only a good one for the type of riding you intend to do.

The bike shop lore is usually more truthful than gun shop lore. But there are always those that are trying to make a fast buck or have no idea about customer service. Buying a bike takes at least an hour; deciding on a model, getting fit, test riding, picking out accessories and learning about it all take time.

+1 ^^^ All true

Glasses... me too. You can wear "croakies" to hold your glasses on. I think you'll want to wear them not just for the obvious reason. my eyes water when going fast sometimes from the wind too. Several companies make Rx glasses that will work for cycling and shooting...makes 'em only cost half as much...sort of.

Again, nice job on "Just doing it!"

Sooo?

How's the cycling going? We've had wind here so I haven't been out in five days ,but since Jan I've lost 30 lbs. Anyway, saw this and wanted to hear how you like your Giant. Oh and did you get the space panties?( Local lingo for cycling shorts!) I've been wearing them for years now when I ride for exercise.

You figure, you spend forty minutes to three hours on a bike to get serious cardio benefits. You'll need to either sprint, or climb, for anaerobic benefits, and gradual climb or moderate sustained speed for aerobic. Both will get you fit quick!

Have fun, ride safe, and wear a helmet!

JZ

Edited for poor typing

Edited by JimmyZip

Jimmy - Thanks for asking!

I'm enjoying it. The bike is making me use muscles I haven't used for a while...strange how running on a treadmill, running on the street, and riding the bike make me tired in different ways. I feel it in my legs for a longer time from the bike, but it's a "good" tired that I don't get from running.

I'm just doing 45 minutes at a moderate pace five days a week, since that's what the doc recommended, but I'm going to stretch the time out more as I get used to it. I'm trying to figure out if I should do more time once a day, or just ride again later in the day. I currently ride before work; riding again after work would make more sense since I have to wait for the sun to come up first as it is.

The bike's doing fine. I don't have a context to compare it to anything, since it's my first "good" bike. FWIW, I look forward to riding it, so it can't be too bad. ;)

I don't want this to turn into something I enjoy too much. I don't have enough time to shoot as it is. :)

Fifty bucks for the gay shorts? I might need some time to get used to that idea first. :P

Congrats on your purchase. It reminds me that I need to dust off my bike and ride more now that the trails around my area drying out again. Seems that for the past 3+ months, each time I think about hitting couple of the local X-country trails, it rains, I have to work, I have to do yard work or it gets superceded by some other activity.

Regarding the bike shorts, shop around -- there are shorts for mountain bikers that have a shell over the Lycra and and padding. They are not the low drag-high speed design but they work just as well to protect your vital parts. They cost few dollars more. Butt... they do look more like normal shorts and some even have functional pockets.

• 2 months later...

The "gay" part of the shorts is context-sensitive.... If you're wearing them to go to the bar/club... that's gay. If you're wearing them to ride, to keep your sensitive bits pain-free, that is NOT gay...

Hope that makes it easier on you! FWIW, I used to have the mountain bike shorts described above, they had the right padding, comfort, and I didn't feel uncomfortable walking into the store wearing them.... wish I could find that particular model again.

(Heh.... should we tell you that Giant, in bicycling context is pronounced "Gay-ant".. LMAO!!!! french ya know)

Myself, a Specialized FSR Enduro, and an OLD Vitus that was built for me way back when... wish I could get another custom-fit frame like that!

Pete