Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a Recommendation for a Bicycle

revchuck

Just a quick update...I'm up to 80 miles/week and have decided to try a metric century this September. The rear tire has acquired a pronounced flat spot around the circumference, but some of the flashing from the mold parting line is still there on the front, and I use the front for most of my braking. WTH? I've had my first rear flat...and now carry a spare tube and a patch kit. I've got the gloves and a pair of baggy shorts, and love the chamois! A pair of black spandex shorts are coming in the near future, because I found a place that sells a cycling shirt with a picture of Bozo the Clown, my role model, and want to be able to wear it without risking the wrath of the Cycle Fashion Police. Clipless pedals and MTB shoes that clip into them are in the mail. I'm in the market for a rechargeable lighting setup.

I don't have enough time to shoot, and now this...:)

Nice Rev! You'll do fine on the metric century (62 miles). Remember is isn't a race... ;) Be sure you have plenty of air in tires too. (overlooked many times and REALLY adds drag)

Take plenty of food and drink...be sure you try your fuel before the big day. That isn't the time to discover that bar-x makes you puke.

Is the flat spot on top of the tread or on the side wall? If it is on the side wall you've got a brake dragging and that is bad and can lead to catastrophe. Either place - make sure threads aren't showing.

You'll be amazed with the clipless pedals for the amount of power you be adding to your stroke but remember your stroke is tiny circles and not mashing up and down...I still have to remind myself somedays. Think scrapping mud off the bottom of your shoe as you come around the bottom of your stroke.

I need to get a bozo jersey too...

Congrats on your progress!

Congrats on getting and using your new ride. I recently got back on my aging Cannondale R-300 when my wife wanted a bike for fitness. She went with a Trek hybrid.

One thing glossed over a bit was helmets. Get a good one and wear it! Several years ago my front end washed out on sand and did an endo over the handlebars. A few stitches on the chin, a scar on the right wrist, but nothing seriously permanent. My helmet was trashed with a broken outer shell and the foam inner liner seriously crushed. Without that brain bucket I'd probably be drinking my beer from a sippee cup today.

Is the flat spot on top of the tread or on the side wall? If it is on the side wall you've got a brake dragging and that is bad and can lead to catastrophe. Either place - make sure threads aren't showing.

It's just normal wear. I'm surprised that there's so much difference in the amount of wear between the front and back tires.

I need to get a bozo jersey too...

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere...17440?i=default

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an update...

The metric century idea went out the window when we had two hurricanes in a month's time, and I wasn't able to ride due to displacement and work. I finally got back on the bike recently.

I'm training in the Tampa area for a new job, and brought my Beretta, a .30 cal can of ammo, and the bike, so I can keep myself out of trouble on the weekends. I'm shooting one day a weekend, and riding the other. :D

I rode in my first organized ride yesterday. The only hills in the area are the bridges, but the 10-15 mph wind made up for them. I did a 28 mile ride, since I haven't been riding much and didn't want to bite off more than I could chew.

I finally got the clipless pedals attached to the bike. I bought them on line, realized I didn't know enough about how to do the adjustments for the attachments on the shoes, and didn't get around to getting the bike shop to put them on. I found a shop here in Tampa that offers personal fitting, and they did that as a part of it. They also measured my sit bones, and I found that my saddle was way too narrow for me, so I got a new one.

It was almost like riding a new bike. The fixed foot position took some getting used to. My butt didn't hurt at all at the end of the ride.

This was the longest I've ridden so far. It was easier than my usual 16 mile ride, partly due to the terrain, partly due to the company (it's the first time I didn't ride by myself), and partly because I paid attention to what I read on nutrition - breakfast before, slammed a quart of Powerade while driving to the ride, and ate a Power Bar during the ride. Usually it's three mugs of coffee - period. Of course, being new to the clipless pedals, I came to a stop sign toward the beginning of the ride and forgot to clip out. I fell over like the old guy on Laugh In. At least I had the presence of mind to say, "And for my next trick..."

My heart rate didn't get too high - peaked at 154 while catching up going into a 10-15 mph headwind, and was in the 120s - 130s most of the time. I don't know what it was at the end of the ride, since the HRM battery crapped out AGAIN. These things only last two months - WTH?

There's a ride next weekend, the "Hilly Hundred" by Dade City. It's the same area as the match I shot in on Saturday - beautiful country!. I'm going to do the 34 mile route. I have a feeling I'll be a little more tuckered out when I finish that one. ;)

Edited by revchuck

Keep it up Rev!

Nice job!

And now that you have completed your initiation ritual to clipless pedals, I'll tell you the secret...everyone has to go through the Laugh In moment...sounds like you survived it fine...mine was at a VERY busy intersection in Santa Barbara near the beach where everyone tries to look cool...I didn't look so cool...people even honked all around the intersection :roflol: . That was 16 years ago and I still remember it...but I don't forget to clip out anymore.

Keep the pedals spinning! Tiny circles, tiny circles, tiny circles.

• 9 months later...

Update - This has now become my primary addiction. :) Partly because I don't have a place to shoot anymore other than an indoor range 80 miles away due to a job change and upcoming relocation, and partly because I've found again the feeling I used to have when I was young and semi-studly and a ten mile run was something I could do from boredom. I still ain't the semi-stud I useta wuz, but I'm doing over 100 miles a week and my Saturday rides are sixty miles and climbing.

I've since gotten a new bike (Cannondale CAAD9) and am actively looking for a carbon-framed replacement for it, at about the cost of an low-end Open gun. I'll be doing at least two organized rides of 100 miles this fall.

Not to worry too much, though; I've got 2k 9x19 to load, and just bought another 2k 180 grain RNL for .40 S&W. :D

Great to hear Rev!

Those Cannondale 6's look pretty sweet..and of course the Trek Madone. They had to add weight to be legal for the tour...so that means they are around 15 lb bikes :surprise:

Thanks for the inspiration.

• 4 weeks later...
Since I have been a bike shop manager, opened 2 shops, wrenched on everything made for the last 50 years and sold more bikes to more people over the last 20 years of being in the business (ok sometimes only part time) than I'd like to remember, I'd like to add my .02.

1. Buy a bike from a bike shop. Not REI/EMS or a big chain. They do NOT build them correctly. None of them do. Trust me on this. I have fixed more bad builds than I remember.

2. Buying used is fine if you know what you want. If you get a new bike you get service & warranty. Bike shops make very little money. Most shop employees do it for the love, not the money (there is none).

3. Build a relationship with the shop, modern bikes are finicky, and ALL have issues of some kind. A good shop spends at least an hour building and testing the bike; department stores get them out of the box and to the floor as quickly as possible.

4. A good shop salesperson can size you up after a few questions. Most shops want your business and will work hard to earn it. If they act like you don't matter, go elsewhere.

5. Most casual riders do just fine in the $500 range, which is where you get decent parts hung on a decent frame. By casual I mean less than 20 mile rides, 1-2 times a week. If you are riding longer or more frequently, consider the $750 range.

6. A good shop will change saddles and stems for no charge (upgrades of course cost more). Fit is PARAMOUNT. The tall and the short will have more issues with fit.

7. Your butt will hurt the first few times you ride.

8. A comfort saddle will eventually chafe on longer rides, but will be more cushy. If thats what it takes to get you to ride, get one.

9. Buy a seat pack, pump, patch kit, misc tools, HELMET, gloves and shorts. Yep they cost money, but make life so much more enjoyable. The HELMET and gloves are mandatory. Kinda like buying a pistol with only one mag, sure you can live with it, but it ain't no fun.

10. buy water bottles and cages or a hydration pack.

11. a good shop will offer free adjustments with a purchase. Some give a free tune up. All give free advice.

12 the funny shoes and shorts and jerseys look gay, but once you try them on a long ride, you'll never go back to wearing sneakers, chinos and a sweatshirt.

13. Most people will never wear out a bike, but they will need periodic maintenance like new tires, tubes, grips, chains, brake pads, saddles. All these parts last longer if the shop builds the bike right and fits it to you. The drive train lasts longer if you lube the chain and shift correctly. The bike shop has the right lube for your area (wet lubes like TRiflow for wet areas, Dry lubes like White Lightning for dry areas) BTW those are the only ones I use now, except for T9 on occasion.

14. Nobody who gets into cycling will keep their first bike. I have 2 mountain bikes, a cross/commuter, a road bike, a single speed, and a old Schwinn collectors piece. I change parts around, buy and sell bikes all the time. Point is, your first will not be your last, so don't worry about getting the PERFECT one. There is no perfect bike, only a good one for the type of riding you intend to do.

The bike shop lore is usually more truthful than gun shop lore. But there are always those that are trying to make a fast buck or have no idea about customer service. Buying a bike takes at least an hour; deciding on a model, getting fit, test riding, picking out accessories and learning about it all take time.

Since I have been a triathlete and avid bike rider for quite a few years I thought I'd have plenty to say about this......but after seeing what "photog" said, all I can offer is.......his is advice is dead on.