Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

limited gun .40 reloaded ammo

There seems to be two schools of thought on the "basic weight" of the weapon. Some tell me they prefer the lighter front end for transitions (even with cut outs of the slide to help) while others say go heavy for quicker sights back on target.

According to the STI website, the edge has been there most popular limited gun.

I know it is and individual thing, and to custom make the gun to your specifications is ideal, but I am talking about a first time purchase for someone who doesn't have "specifications" yet.

Just asking others to try out their guns is a start, but I am looking for some "experienced" USPSA/ISPC feedback on what you use & how your thoughts on it may have changed over time.

Thanks

I think a new shooter will do better with a heavier gun with less recoil and quicker recovery. A few years down the road when you are faster at sight tracking and better able to control recoil you will gain some advantage from a lighter front end. I would buy the Eagle over the Edge. With the eagle you can add a tungstin guide rod and make up the weight and later on change to a lighter guide rod. With guide rods and mainspring housing choices you can add subtract and move around the balance point quite a bit all without a trip to a machinist or permanent modifications.

I started with a 1911, then went to an Edge. I have just started noticing (1 year with edge) that the front end like to keep going on my transitions. I.e. hard to stop, it has probably always been this way and I am just now good enough to notice. Or that I took a 5 month break and now I am seeing new things.

IMHO, get what you think you want. Neither the edge nor the eagle will hold you back. More importantly than the model you get is the amount of practice you put in. With enough practice and the right instruction, amazing things are possible.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd be an Eagle 5.0 in .40 S&W and have it hard chromed. Then I'd have the trigger tuned to my liking and start feeding it a healthy portion of Atlanta Arms ammo. The reasons I'd go for the Eagle:

1. The weight difference is a little too much for me, and the Eagle would be easier to handle.

2. The Eagle tracks good even without the additional weight, but is not so heavy that it hampers quick transitions.

3. It's easy to find a multitude of holsters for the Eagle, the Edge is a different story.

4. The Eagle is IDPA and IPSC/USPSA legal, so you can shoot both with the same gun.

Those are just my thoughts. I'm thinking about having my Edge's dust cover cut down to that of the Eagle. The only thing holding me back is the cost of redoing the hard chrome.

I bought a Brazos High Performance Edge (hard chromed, trigger job, etc.) as my first limited gun. Like you, I wasn't experienced enough to know what options I would prefer if I built a gun from scratch. My Edge has served me well over the past year, as it is very soft shooting and reliable. When I am ready to buy something different, I plan to sell it. If you search for a used one from either Dawson Precision or Brazos, you'll quickly find that you get most of the value back when you sell them; at worst you lose $100 or $200 for a few years of shooting. I plan to shoot my Brazos High Performance Edge until I find something that I like better (I keep looking at those 6" guns), but until I shoot something that I like better, I'm sticking with my trusty, reliable Edge. In the meantime, paying $100 or $200 for "gun rent" to use an Edge seems like a pretty fair deal.

There seems to be two schools of thought on the "basic weight" of the weapon. Some tell me they prefer the lighter front end for transitions (even with cut outs of the slide to help) while others say go heavy for quicker sights back on target.

According to the STI website, the edge has been there most popular limited gun.

I know it is and individual thing, and to custom make the gun to your specifications is ideal, but I am talking about a first time purchase for someone who doesn't have "specifications" yet.

Just asking others to try out their guns is a start, but I am looking for some "experienced" USPSA/ISPC feedback on what you use & how your thoughts on it may have changed over time.

Thanks

I went w/the EAGLE from Brazos w/performance package love the gun I like a gun a little lighter you can always add weight.

Brazos has excellent service and the gun has functioned 100%.

BK

One option, buy a blue EDGE. Shoot it untill you have gained experience to decide what you like/want. You can always send an EDGE to Benny Hill and have the long dust cover shortened, other metal can be removed as well if you want to further lighten the gun/

The heavier EDGE is probably easier for new shooters, the weight helps recoil control. For me I did not really notice the weight difference shooting USPSA, but perfer the lighter feel shooting steel matches.

cnote,

I've been shooting IPSC since 1980 and this question has been around before me. Some shooters

including GM's like the heavier guns and some like the lighter guns. The advise you've received so

far has been excellent. What I haven't read is that a lighter front end gun will have more muzzle

flip than the heavier front end gun. Its a lot easier to take off metal than to add metal. The Edge

is an excellent choice and like others have said once you feel the gun is holding you back, then you

can have a good smith remove metal or you can sell it and buy a lighter gun. The main thing is to

have fun and enjoy this sport, regardless of what you shoot, cause its really cool.

Sparky

cnote,

I've been shooting IPSC since 1980 and this question has been around before me. Some shooters

including GM's like the heavier guns and some like the lighter guns. The advise you've received so

far has been excellent. What I haven't read is that a lighter front end gun will have more muzzle

flip than the heavier front end gun. Its a lot easier to take off metal than to add metal. The Edge

is an excellent choice and like others have said once you feel the gun is holding you back, then you

can have a good smith remove metal or you can sell it and buy a lighter gun. The main thing is to

have fun and enjoy this sport, regardless of what you shoot, cause its really cool.

Sparky

There was an article about this that Brazos had on thier website. It stated pretty much what sparky and others have said, but it might be worth a read.

Jason

Edited by shooting for M

I haven't been around quite as long as Sparky but I'm close. I had a .45 Para frame kit built into a Limited gun after starting out with a SS. This was long before STI and SV and .40 S&W came onto the market. I always recommend a newby go to a practice night during the week if possible and check out the hardware...maybe shoot a few possibly. I wish I was in your position.

Good Luck,

Richard

Just my opinion for what it's worth...

Either gun would be a fine choice. I chose the edge and love it. After shooting it a couple of years I had thought of lightening the slide. The school of thought being, long dust cover adds weight to the front of the gun which is desireable for .40. Lightening the slide reduces weight being pushed back on recoil thus reducing muzzle rise, hardly an issue anyway.

A friend got a new Infinity sight tracker which also has the long dust cover. The slide is lightened by the cut out for the AET barrel and the tri-top cut, the extra weight of the barrel offsets the lost weight to the front of the gun. I shot his gun, and after being used to mine, could tell a significant difference. The sight tracker has much less muzzle rise than the edge. Once again thought of lightening my slide but the edge is a fine gun and like it the way it was made. Maybe I'll just have to get a sight tracker too ;)

I personally would go with the Eagle. I went from a G35 to an Edge and found it to be too heavy for my liking. So I bought a lightened slide gun with a short dust cover and really liked the balance. But my scores were better with the Edge. I am looking into getting another Limited gun. And when I do, it will be an Eagle in either a 5" or 6" configuration with out any slide cuts. JMHO :rolleyes: